Interlock or Overlap?

Your Grip  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which grip do you use?

• Interlock index and pinky
    • Overlap index and pinky

Our Sponsors

My grip changed from interlock (index and pinky) to overlap back in the late 70's.  I don't even recall why the instructor made that change - but it was an easy switch and never felt odd.  In fact, I recently tried interlocking again and it does feel odd.  Most I see and golf with use interlock and I'm curious how many others do not.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I guess that means the 10 finger or "baseball" grip tends to favor the middle.  😀 I used the 10 finger grip since I started playing 27 years ago... until last year.  I tried the interlock and

I think your 2nd paragraph should read. "Only a million different ways to swing the club wrong?" And I've used them all!

That's interesting, to me it feels the exact opposite and that I won't close the clubface due to my right hand influencing the clubface less and not "turning over" as much. Brains are weird 😄

Overlap

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*), 5W (21*), 7W (24*), Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Was interlock for a while as a kid. Then circa 2014 I went to the overlap. Back to the interlock last fall.

I prefer the interlock, feels like I can get more surface area on the grip.

Putter grips is odd. I use a double interlock so I can get more right hand on the grip. Then the right index finger points down.

Putting grips are always funny. I double reverse overlap. Instead of right pinky over left index, I have left index and left middle over right pinky and right ring with left index pointing down across my right hand, sitting in the crease between my index and middle fingers on my right hand.

Was interlock for a while as a kid. Then circa 2014 I went to the overlap. Back to the interlock last fall.

I prefer the interlock, feels like I can get more surface area on the grip.

Putter grips is odd. I use a double interlock so I can get more right hand on the grip. Then the right index finger points down.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Funny you bring this up, I’ve always been an interlock person, never really thought about it. Since getting my net a few weeks ago and being able to hit balls more, I tried out overlap. Right now I’m considering switching, I think it may be better for my large hands. When I interlock I always have the urge to have a really deep interlock, which I hear causes issues.

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

I just naturally started interlock and have never switched.  I have tried overlap a couple of times and is doesn't feel as secure.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm an overlap user. I played with a ten finger grip until last year, but then switched when I needed more cohesion between my hands. I did try the interlock, but it felt like I was going to break my pinkie off. 

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I’m an interlocker. It is how I first grabbed a club and have never looked back.

Putter grip is different though. Like @Shankster I double interlock but have both index fingers running down the shaft. I feel like I have more control over the putter that way.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

I’ve gone back and forth between the two. I have smallish hands so you would think I’d get a better grip interlocking but I really don’t. My ball flights seems to change based on my grip type. Interlocking is more of a fade while over lapping tends to draw.

My putter grip is ver tradition. I over lap on the back side of the grip. My non-dominant index finger I extend straight along the side of my my putter and on top of my fingers on my right hand. The right index finger is slightly extended much like a trigger.

Again... I switched several years ago to full-finger or ten-finger grip. Choose your name. I played my whole life up to that point with an overlap. Played well too. However, After I changed my ball striking improved. Easier to trap. More solid. I've never regretted it. Some people say the full-finger promotes a hook. It can if you're not careful I suppose. But it hasn't for me. It's all about impact anyway. As Nicklaus famously said, "I don't care how you hold the club, - interlock, overlap, full finger. Doesn't matter as long you are able to square the face at impact." Ever seen a baseball player overlapping or interlocking? Me either.

BTW: The poll excluded full-finger or 10-finger

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Interlock. For those who've not read the Little Red Book, Penick goes into great detail on the grip. Longer fingers factor overlap, shorter fingers interlock.

Driver: Titleist 915D3 Diamana White XS
FW: Cobra Fly-Z 16.5 Adila Proto XS
Hybrid: Adams Boxer Proto Gold 19 Adila Proto XS
Irons: Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG X100
Wedges: Vokey 50-54-58
Putter: Odyssey Versa #7

Take Dead Aim

I started out with interlock and then switched to overlap and havent looked back.  I originally went to interlock because thats what Tiger and Jack did, so I figured that must be the best way.

I find that with interlock, while it does really lock my hands together, it also limits my wrist hinge.  Also, supposedly overlap is better because it takes 1 of your fingers of your dominant hand off of the club, so it makes you hands work together better.  Supposedly.

• Like 1

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Irons: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* and Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 Blue Ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I’m an overlapper. Works well for me and helps keep grip pressure less stressed.

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Diamana FW 75 S
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

Western, NY

5.7 Index

Ten finger. Tried overlap and interlock, neither felt right. Baseball and softball player my whole life, so I guess that’s why.

• Like 1

CobraConnectChallenge3

I played interlock for 30 years, had to switch to overlap last year as my pinkie finger was experiencing significant pain. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  Mac Daddy Forged 52° , 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

I started golf interlocking, as many people have, but somewhere along the way I went to the Vardon and I don't remember why. I tried interlocking a few years ago just on a lark and while it felt quite odd, I felt a bit more secure. I did, however, feel like I lost some feel and I tended to hook the ball for whatever reason so I stuck with the overlap. My father-in-law always used a baseball grip with success but I've never been able to make that work. It's amazing how many ways there are to play this great game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Overlap. I started interlocking however I WAY overdid it and it put my hands in bad positions. Took some lessons and one of the first things he pointed out was that my grip wasn't going to let me square the face. The changeover went pretty quickly and I've been playing that way since. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb