Interlock or Overlap?

fixyurdivot

Your Grip  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which grip do you use?

• Interlock index and pinky
    • Overlap index and pinky

I'm an interlocker. It was what I used when I first picked up a club so it's stuck. I did try the overlap or Vardon, but it didn't feel as secure to me. I've also tried the 10 finger and it was just hook city.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Neither,  baseball, I use to interlock but for the last 3 years I don't overlap at all, just touch. Started with chipping, trying to take my left hand out the stroke now do it on all clubs except putter. Find it more flexible in terms of hand positions.

Edited by Alf. S

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I’m sure your teacher moved you to the interlock in the 70’s because that’s what Nicklaus used.

It matters but it doesn’t. Another words there are 3 types of grips that are tried and tested. Interlock, overlap and 10 finger. Each has its merits. Most important is that your palms face one another.

The overlap is far and away the most popular or common of the 3. But that doesn’t make it the right one for you or anyone else here necessarily

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Interlocking from day one. For a time I even putted like that. Never had a need to switch. Funny enough I’m a minority in my area with most the people around here using a version of the interlock.

Only a million different ways to swing the club right?

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

6 hours ago, EthanSterlingPrice said:

Interlocking from day one. For a time I even putted like that. Never had a need to switch. Funny enough I’m a minority in my area with most the people around here using a version of the interlock.

Only a million different ways to swing the club right?

I think your 2nd paragraph should read.

"Only a million different ways to swing the club wrong?"

And I've used them all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WIMB

I was taught how to hold a club using interlock when I was like 5 years old or so and never tried anything else.

Today, I switched to overlap with the exception of driver --  for some reason it just feels too strange at the moment with driver. Probably wasn't the smartest idea to try it in a round, even though it was just after work 9-hole practice, instead of at the range but I didn't really notice any difference performance wise. Do interlock and overlap carry with them different tendencies? 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi3 10* Ventus Red

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

overlap cause that's what my Uncle- who took me for my first game - said to do.

I tried 10 fingers for a few months which felt great, but went back to overlap for consistency.

I tried interlock on a range, nearly broke my little finger😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'm definitely interlock grip.  I like feeling I have more contact with the club itself.  Overlap just doesn't feel comfortable to me at all.  I putt the same way with interlock but I forward press.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

So last week I tried switching to overlap, couldn't do it. Interlock is too natural for me when I go to grip the club. Now I've been working on not having such a deep interlock and keeping the left hand a little more on the left side of the club.

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

5 hours ago, yungkory said:

I was taught how to hold a club using interlock when I was like 5 years old or so and never tried anything else.

Today, I switched to overlap with the exception of driver --  for some reason it just feels too strange at the moment with driver. Probably wasn't the smartest idea to try it in a round, even though it was just after work 9-hole practice, instead of at the range but I didn't really notice any difference performance wise. Do interlock and overlap carry with them different tendencies? 

Interlock tends to favor a draw/left miss while overlap tends to be a fade/right miss. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

Interlock tends to favor a draw/left miss while overlap tends to be a fade/right miss. 

So I guess that means the 10 finger or "baseball" grip tends to favor the middle.  😀

I used the 10 finger grip since I started playing 27 years ago... until last year.  I tried the interlock and like @perseveringgolfer it hurt my finger.  I think the size of the grip might have an effect here.  I decided to try overlapping, mostly because I could grip the club with less pressure and reduce trail (right) hand dominance.  For the moment I'll stick with that.  

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Whoa, this could be a game changer. I did notice that switching to overlap yesterday stopped me from cooking shots too far left. My normal flight is a draw so maybe this will straighten it out a little. Time to experiment!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

So I guess that means the 10 finger or "baseball" grip tends to favor the middle.  😀

I used the 10 finger grip since I started playing 27 years ago... until last year.  I tried the interlock and like @perseveringgolfer it hurt my finger.  I think the size of the grip might have an effect here.  I decided to try overlapping, mostly because I could grip the club with less pressure and reduce trail (right) hand dominance.  For the moment I'll stick with that.  

I now use 10 finger and it doesn't go straight.

I've tried them all and can get a big high cut with them all, even when I don't try. Just a matter of degrees for me.

• Like 1

WIMB

16 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

I now use 10 finger and it doesn't go straight.

I've tried them all and can get a big high cut with them all, even when I don't try. Just a matter of degrees for me.

Yeah, it's mostly not the grip type.  That's the club face open relative to swing path... I know!!

I had a slice with the 10 finger grip and corrected it with a 10 finger grip.  I have found that since I went from 10 finger grip to overlapping, my grip pressure with my right (trail) hand is less and it's easier for me to hit a draw.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

44 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yeah, it's mostly not the grip type.  That's the club face open relative to swing path... I know!!

I had a slice with the 10 finger grip and corrected it with a 10 finger grip.  I have found that since I went from 10 finger grip to overlapping, my grip pressure with my right (trail) hand is less and it's easier for me to hit a draw.

That's interesting, to me it feels the exact opposite and that I won't close the clubface due to my right hand influencing the clubface less and not "turning over" as much. Brains are weird 😄

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, yungkory said:

That's interesting, to me it feels the exact opposite and that I won't close the clubface due to my right hand influencing the clubface less and not "turning over" as much. Brains are weird 😄

That is what happens to me as well. When I miss left, I feel like me right hand has "flipped" the face shut. For me the overlap take the right hand out of the swing, and eliminates the flip left. 

• Like 2

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

10 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I have a problem on my through swing.  When my right hand is on the club a little too tight, I tend to come over the top a little and promotes a fade.  It also slows down my swing. I can't afford ANY loss of speed!!!  It was worse with 10 finger grip.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 11:41 AM, cnosil said:

I just naturally started interlock and have never switched.  I have tried overlap a couple of times and is doesn't feel as secure.

Same here. I've fooled with overlap a few times, but I can never get comfortable with it. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5º | Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
:taylormade-small: SIM Ti 3W 15º | Fujikura Ventus Red 7S
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8S
:srixon-small: ZX5 4-PW | Dynamic Gold 120 X100
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid and Full-Face 60º Mid | Project X LS 6.0
:EVNROLL: ER5 | BGT Stability Tour

:srixon-small: '21 Z-Star XV

• 3 months later...
Again... I switched several years ago to full-finger or ten-finger grip. Choose your name. I played my whole life up to that point with an overlap. Played well too. However, After I changed my ball striking improved. Easier to trap. More solid. I've never regretted it. Some people say the full-finger promotes a hook. It can if you're not careful I suppose. But it hasn't for me. It's all about impact anyway. As Nicklaus famously said, "I don't care how you hold the club, - interlock, overlap, full finger. Doesn't matter as long you are able to square the face at impact." Ever seen a baseball player overlapping or interlocking? Me either.
BTW: The poll excluded full-finger or 10-finger
I'm also a full-finger player. I've experimented with both overlap (doesn't feel secure) and interlock (kills my pinkies) and am just more comfortable with all ten fingers in the club.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app