Jump to content
cksurfdude

Terry Koehler opines on wedge bounce and fitting.

Recommended Posts

Saw this in a newsletter from On Core; TK "keeping it real" on what most am players should (or not) be looking for in their wedges.......

http://www.golfwrx.com/552364/the-wedge-guy-a-discussion-of-bounce/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Trending&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t been to a store yet that has demos that I could take to a course or range. I’ve been at numerous demo days where demos were available, and Club Champion does wedge fittings indoor... It’s funny to hear guys like Crossfield, Shiels, and this designer talk about taking clubs to a course and try them first. I can see a single club off a fitting cart, but I haven’t seen wedges available yet. My Edel fitting was done outside, and inside both, and I’d love to try other options out there.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only places that I have seen demo wedges for outside trial is Titleist Thursdays, Titleist demo locations, and Cleveland scoring clinics.   Of course,  I haven't been to any of these events recently but i keep checking hoping that I can find a convenient one.   I really want to try a bunch of wedges with different bounces and grinds to learn how they work with my swing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect timing.

My new swing and low bounce do not get along at all. My 60° is useless.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Perfect timing.

My new swing and low bounce do not get along at all. My 60° is useless.

Digging, huh?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Saw this in a newsletter from On Core; TK "keeping it real" on what most am players should (or not) be looking for in their wedges.......

http://www.golfwrx.com/552364/the-wedge-guy-a-discussion-of-bounce/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Trending&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

When I bought my SCOR wedges that TK sold before he moved on to Ben Hogan Golf, I tried them out at my course.  My pro had a wedge kit with several SCORs in different lofts in both steel and graphite shafts.  I might have bought them anyway, but being able to try them out from various lies on the course real sold me on the V-sole.  

Those are gone now, of course, but nothing has replaced them.  I know of no course in the area that allows try-before-you-buy.  I wonder if U-try through GG allows wedges to try?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Digging, huh?


Yeah. I don’t want to mess around with ball position too much because I get crisp strikes with the rest of the clubs.

Might go back to having the 56° be the highest lofted club. I can make it a 64° if needed.

If Seve could do it, I can at least try.
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

 


Yeah. I don’t want to mess around with ball position too much because I get crisp strikes with the rest of the clubs.

Might go back to having the 56° be the highest lofted club. I can make it a 64° if needed.

If Seve could do it, I can at least try. emoji854.png

 

echoes my thoughts as well.🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

When I bought my SCOR wedges that TK sold before he moved on to Ben Hogan Golf, I tried them out at my course.  My pro had a wedge kit with several SCORs in different lofts in both steel and graphite shafts.  I might have bought them anyway, but being able to try them out from various lies on the course real sold me on the V-sole.  

Those are gone now, of course, but nothing has replaced them.  I know of no course in the area that allows try-before-you-buy.  I wonder if U-try through GG allows wedges to try?

I'm with you on this - first time I got to try a V-sole was in the VKTR hybrid test - and I liked it. 

So when I decided to get new wedges I jumped into the Hogan Equalizers with their V-sole and am very happy with that choice.

Are they perfectly fitted for me, specifically? I dunno. Are they perfectly fitted for where I play, specifically? I dunno. In my previous wedge sets I always picked "Versatile" grind as I wanted the flexibility to use the same set of wedges for varying shot types in varying conditions - even during the same round, as TK mentions - and I'm finding the Hogans give me a lot of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess it depends on the type of player that you are.  I play relatively high bounce wedges and they work for me on all types of conditions and lies so I don't have to vary the wedge setup in the bag all that much.  Just need to try and pick the right shot that fits the conditions and the equipment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an "aspiring" 😉 amateur who hasn't been playing long enough to know exactly what bounce/grind combo works best for him... So I look at it as a kind of compromise, if you will - ie. what works well enough for me for different types of wedge shots in enough different types of situations / conditions?

Like TK said a typical recreational am (me) does not have the short game touch of a top level club player!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish TK would get back into the wedge business.  I would like a resurrected SCOR wedge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sitting here reading the thread and thinking to myself, 'did I miss something?'. 

Terry Kohler is still at Ben Hogan Golf ( essentially Ben Hogan is SCOR branded in a more palatable manner for golfers ).

The Equalizer wedges are evolutions of the SCOR 4161 Wedges, they even retain the V-Soles. 

Hogan still does the demo wedges where they will send them to you and let you test them on your course for 14 days.  

Based upon all of that, it would seem that what TK is saying is 'Yeah Bounce is misunderstood and wedge fittings have value, but come try my wedges'. 

And FWIW, you really should try the Equalizer wedges, because that are, as advertised.  I love mine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dru_ said:

I am sitting here reading the thread and thinking to myself, 'did I miss something?'. 

Terry Kohler is still at Ben Hogan Golf ( essentially Ben Hogan is SCOR branded in a more palatable manner for golfers ).

The Equalizer wedges are evolutions of the SCOR 4161 Wedges, they even retain the V-Soles. 

Hogan still does the demo wedges where they will send them to you and let you test them on your course for 14 days.  

Based upon all of that, it would seem that what TK is saying is 'Yeah Bounce is misunderstood and wedge fittings have value, but come try my wedges'. 

And FWIW, you really should try the Equalizer wedges, because that are, as advertised.  I love mine.

Although TK is still involved with BHG, he is not part of the day-to-day operations.  I don't know how much he is involved in product design.

While the Equalizer wedges are an evolution of SCOR, the V-sole is different.  The TK wedges were closer to the original SCOR design, but they are no longer available.

TK's articles as "TheWedgeGuy" has been recently resurrected under the GolfWRX website.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dru_ said:

And FWIW, you really should try the Equalizer wedges

Yes! That's what I'm playing now, and I am *very* happy with them!

And you're right about the Hogan demo program - it's a great way to test out their clubs "for real".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

While the Equalizer wedges are an evolution of SCOR, the V-sole is different.  The TK wedges were closer to the original SCOR design, but they are no longer available.

Kenny when (_ever) we (finally) get together you'll try my Equalizers, see what you think.........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not the best example here because I love low bounce wedges. I’m a picker and they work better for me. I’m curious if the comment about bounce from Mr. Koehler or Tiger and J-Day has more to do with sole width than the actual bounce. We see game improvement irons be “easier” to hit because the sole is wider and the strike doesn’t have to be as precise. Since many amateurs don’t know how to accurately use the bounce of the wedge, would a grind like the wide-low from Cobra be just as effective as a K-Grind because of the thickness of the sole? The wide low sole keeps that leading edge closer to the ground leading to less thin chips? Just a thought.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ Makes sense ... sole width and bounce definitely combine to create the playing characteristics / playability of a particular wedge....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say growing up I only played low bounce wedges. Playing in the Pacific Northwest I have no idea how I was able to play those as a teen. Then when I got to college and had a proper fitting I was turned on to high bounce wedges. Never have strayed away from that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...