Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Terry Koehler opines on wedge bounce and fitting.

cksurfdude

Saw this in a newsletter from On Core; TK "keeping it real" on what most am players should (or not) be looking for in their wedges.......

http://www.golfwrx.com/552364/the-wedge-guy-a-discussion-of-bounce/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Trending&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I haven’t been to a store yet that has demos that I could take to a course or range. I’ve been at numerous demo days where demos were available, and Club Champion does wedge fittings indoor... It’s funny to hear guys like Crossfield, Shiels, and this designer talk about taking clubs to a course and try them first. I can see a single club off a fitting cart, but I haven’t seen wedges available yet. My Edel fitting was done outside, and inside both, and I’d love to try other options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The only places that I have seen demo wedges for outside trial is Titleist Thursdays, Titleist demo locations, and Cleveland scoring clinics.   Of course,  I haven't been to any of these events recently but i keep checking hoping that I can find a convenient one.   I really want to try a bunch of wedges with different bounces and grinds to learn how they work with my swing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Interesting

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

5 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Saw this in a newsletter from On Core; TK "keeping it real" on what most am players should (or not) be looking for in their wedges.......

http://www.golfwrx.com/552364/the-wedge-guy-a-discussion-of-bounce/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Trending&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

When I bought my SCOR wedges that TK sold before he moved on to Ben Hogan Golf, I tried them out at my course.  My pro had a wedge kit with several SCORs in different lofts in both steel and graphite shafts.  I might have bought them anyway, but being able to try them out from various lies on the course real sold me on the V-sole.  

Those are gone now, of course, but nothing has replaced them.  I know of no course in the area that allows try-before-you-buy.  I wonder if U-try through GG allows wedges to try?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Digging, huh?

Yeah. I don’t want to mess around with ball position too much because I get crisp strikes with the rest of the clubs.

Might go back to having the 56° be the highest lofted club. I can make it a 64° if needed.

If Seve could do it, I can at least try.

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Yeah. I don’t want to mess around with ball position too much because I get crisp strikes with the rest of the clubs.

Might go back to having the 56° be the highest lofted club. I can make it a 64° if needed.

If Seve could do it, I can at least try. emoji854.png

echoes my thoughts as well.🙂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

When I bought my SCOR wedges that TK sold before he moved on to Ben Hogan Golf, I tried them out at my course.  My pro had a wedge kit with several SCORs in different lofts in both steel and graphite shafts.  I might have bought them anyway, but being able to try them out from various lies on the course real sold me on the V-sole.  

Those are gone now, of course, but nothing has replaced them.  I know of no course in the area that allows try-before-you-buy.  I wonder if U-try through GG allows wedges to try?

I'm with you on this - first time I got to try a V-sole was in the VKTR hybrid test - and I liked it. 

So when I decided to get new wedges I jumped into the Hogan Equalizers with their V-sole and am very happy with that choice.

Are they perfectly fitted for me, specifically? I dunno. Are they perfectly fitted for where I play, specifically? I dunno. In my previous wedge sets I always picked "Versatile" grind as I wanted the flexibility to use the same set of wedges for varying shot types in varying conditions - even during the same round, as TK mentions - and I'm finding the Hogans give me a lot of it.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Guess it depends on the type of player that you are.  I play relatively high bounce wedges and they work for me on all types of conditions and lies so I don't have to vary the wedge setup in the bag all that much.  Just need to try and pick the right shot that fits the conditions and the equipment.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

I'm an "aspiring" 😉 amateur who hasn't been playing long enough to know exactly what bounce/grind combo works best for him... So I look at it as a kind of compromise, if you will - ie. what works well enough for me for different types of wedge shots in enough different types of situations / conditions?

Like TK said a typical recreational am (me) does not have the short game touch of a top level club player!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I am sitting here reading the thread and thinking to myself, 'did I miss something?'. 

Terry Kohler is still at Ben Hogan Golf ( essentially Ben Hogan is SCOR branded in a more palatable manner for golfers ).

The Equalizer wedges are evolutions of the SCOR 4161 Wedges, they even retain the V-Soles. 

Hogan still does the demo wedges where they will send them to you and let you test them on your course for 14 days.  

Based upon all of that, it would seem that what TK is saying is 'Yeah Bounce is misunderstood and wedge fittings have value, but come try my wedges'. 

And FWIW, you really should try the Equalizer wedges, because that are, as advertised.  I love mine.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

5 hours ago, dru_ said:

I am sitting here reading the thread and thinking to myself, 'did I miss something?'. 

Terry Kohler is still at Ben Hogan Golf ( essentially Ben Hogan is SCOR branded in a more palatable manner for golfers ).

The Equalizer wedges are evolutions of the SCOR 4161 Wedges, they even retain the V-Soles. 

Hogan still does the demo wedges where they will send them to you and let you test them on your course for 14 days.  

Based upon all of that, it would seem that what TK is saying is 'Yeah Bounce is misunderstood and wedge fittings have value, but come try my wedges'. 

And FWIW, you really should try the Equalizer wedges, because that are, as advertised.  I love mine.

Although TK is still involved with BHG, he is not part of the day-to-day operations.  I don't know how much he is involved in product design.

While the Equalizer wedges are an evolution of SCOR, the V-sole is different.  The TK wedges were closer to the original SCOR design, but they are no longer available.

TK's articles as "TheWedgeGuy" has been recently resurrected under the GolfWRX website.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, dru_ said:

And FWIW, you really should try the Equalizer wedges

Yes! That's what I'm playing now, and I am *very* happy with them!

And you're right about the Hogan demo program - it's a great way to test out their clubs "for real".

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

While the Equalizer wedges are an evolution of SCOR, the V-sole is different.  The TK wedges were closer to the original SCOR design, but they are no longer available.

Kenny when (_ever) we (finally) get together you'll try my Equalizers, see what you think.........

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I’m not the best example here because I love low bounce wedges. I’m a picker and they work better for me. I’m curious if the comment about bounce from Mr. Koehler or Tiger and J-Day has more to do with sole width than the actual bounce. We see game improvement irons be “easier” to hit because the sole is wider and the strike doesn’t have to be as precise. Since many amateurs don’t know how to accurately use the bounce of the wedge, would a grind like the wide-low from Cobra be just as effective as a K-Grind because of the thickness of the sole? The wide low sole keeps that leading edge closer to the ground leading to less thin chips? Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

^^ Makes sense ... sole width and bounce definitely combine to create the playing characteristics / playability of a particular wedge....

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I have to say growing up I only played low bounce wedges. Playing in the Pacific Northwest I have no idea how I was able to play those as a teen. Then when I got to college and had a proper fitting I was turned on to high bounce wedges. Never have strayed away from that. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x