Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Ok we've all seen the phone books the pros keep in thier back pocket, but I'm curious how many Spies keep thier own?

When do you use it? Casual play or tournaments?

How detailed is it? Is it fully drawn out holes and greens, or more just a cheat sheet?

I am changing my mental game this year and taking a different plan to tourney prep. Most tournaments you can't use your phone, so I need something written.

Driver: Titleist 915D3 Diamana White XS

FW: Cobra Fly-Z 16.5 Adila Proto XS

Hybrid: Adams Boxer Proto Gold 19 Adila Proto XS

Irons: Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG X100

Wedges: Vokey 50-54-58

Putter: Odyssey Versa #7

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I used to use one in the days before modern electronics.  I kept key yardage markers on it (big tree, sand trap, etc).  I also marked the greens with slope arrows.  I haven't used one in well over a decade however.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

The big concern for me with the electronic apps (I tend to use Arccos, Golfshot, GolfLogix in a round if I don't "know" the course) is the amount of time it takes to get the data needed for a shot.

I use Arccos for general distance (front/back/mid green), GolfShot for hazard distances (front, back, to green) , and GolfLogix for green slopes for approach shots. I find when I get to the green all the books/apps are not nearly as easy as the Mark 1 eyeball.

To help speed up time, if I am playing an unknown course and I really need to play well (tourney, etc), thats when I'll make a yardage book using Google Earth, data from the apps above. To have two simple pages to look at per hole that contains all of the above data without switching between apps and fiddling with a phone or watch is much simpler and greatly speeds up time.

If I'm playing my home course or one I've played more than 3-5 times, I don't need any of this stuff and leave it in the bag.

The big concern for me with the electronic apps (I tend to use Arccos, Golfshot, GolfLogix in a round if I don't "know" the course) is the amount of time it takes to get the data needed for a shot.

I use Arccos for general distance (front/back/mid green), GolfShot for hazard distances (front, back, to green) , and GolfLogix for green slopes for approach shots. I find when I get to the green all the books/apps are not nearly as easy as the Mark 1 eyeball.

To help speed up time, if I am playing an unknown course and I really need to play well (tourney, etc), thats when I'll make a yardage book using Google Earth, data from the apps above. To have two simple pages to look at per hole that contains all of the above data without switching between apps and fiddling with a phone or watch is much simpler and greatly speeds up time.

If I'm playing my home course or one I've played more than 3-5 times, I don't need any of this stuff and leave it in the bag.
Thanks. This is the stuff I'm looking for because you can't use Arccos or anything that gives slopes/ elevation etc during a tournament. I'm playing in a lot more tournaments this year (blog teaser!) So more courses I'm not as familiar with. Google maps seems like a good place to start too.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

I will always buy a yardage book (if one is available) when I play a new course, I just like them for souvenirs.  I can't say I make notes in them, but I really prefer them to online or other electronic versions.  A reasonable substitute is to use Google Earth's distance measuring feature to make your own preliminary cheat sheet with key yardages, but its not easy to determine which distances you'll need in advance.  

When I made my yardage book for my home course, I tried to envision lots of different players, playing from each set of tees. II noted a number of "landmarks" on each green, and distances to each of them.  I looked at potential lay-up yardages needed.  I did a lot of hand-drafting to show topographic features.  And I did all that just before the use of GPS and lasers became nearly universal.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I will always buy a yardage book (if one is available) when I play a new course, I just like them for souvenirs.  I can't say I make notes in them, but I really prefer them to online or other electronic versions.  A reasonable substitute is to use Google Earth's distance measuring feature to make your own preliminary cheat sheet with key yardages, but its not easy to determine which distances you'll need in advance.  
When I made my yardage book for my home course, I tried to envision lots of different players, playing from each set of tees. II noted a number of "landmarks" on each green, and distances to each of them.  I looked at potential lay-up yardages needed.  I did a lot of hand-drafting to show topographic features.  And I did all that just before the use of GPS and lasers became nearly universal.
That's awesome very old school. I like it!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Now that I am a member of a course I’ve thought of drawing out a nice custom yardage book to take along when I play. I’ve used Google Earth measure out some holes and different landmarks but haven’t made the book yet.

I think a nice leather bound notebook with all the course info would be cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 4 weeks later...

I do the same, especially if playing a new course or a course that gives me trouble on some holes.

Really helps to play the hole from above and from green back to tee box. Plus I have found phone-based GPS apps to vary widely. I had a shot that my GPS said was 80 yards, so I hit what I thought was a perfect shot. It never touched the green (flew long). I had my buddy come over and ha phone showed 60 yards....

I stopped using phone GPS apps after that and got my range finder.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Also, for those interested, Go To Caddy has Yardage book templates and holders. I use them and they are phenomenal.

https://www.gotocaddie.com

Here is a video of a book I made for a course:

DIY Yardage book with Go To Caddie Yardage book

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

I picked up a faux leather holder and some 4x6 notebooks off Amazon. It's doing the job so far.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim