TESTERS WANTED! ×

Should I Consider Trying to Flatten Out My Swing?

I've known for a while I tend to have a pretty upright swing. When @MattF and I did the D7 Challenge, he captured the following picture....

MVIMG_20190407_100601.jpg.1b70005744d6c9c9f335b2062be0cdf0.jpg'

Contrast that with Fowler...

Rickie-Fowlers-90-minute-warm-up-plan-fo

or Tiger...

Screen%2520Shot%25202018-02-27%2520at%25

Rickie always struck me as having a pretty flat swing and I think Tiger seems pretty neutral. Obviously we are not in quite the same position in our swings, but these were about the closest images I could find to match.

Question for the masses: Should I work to flatten out my swing some? If so, what drills might you suggest to help? If not, I assume I should see about getting my clubs bent a bit more upright? My divots always start at the toe end of the club, too. At the D7 Challenge, the Wilson guy put me on a lie board and suggested I need to go about 3* upright. I've also seen where guys are very anti-lie board, but can't recall why. I believe @jlukes was one of them?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Yes, why not?

I suffer the same ailment of an upright swing and on days where I’m out of arm / torso sync, I’m a hot mess.

My two goals for this year are to get my left arm consistently on plane with my shoulders and to keep my right forearm below my left (closer to the ground) on my downswing.

I think it’s worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Chad Campbell is who jumps to mind for me.

IMG_5048.JPG

IMG_5049.JPG

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I'd say that it depends on what you do from there.  For me, that's too upright, but it works quite well for Jim Furyk.  🙂 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

From that pic I would say yes. But without seeing what happens as you complete the swing it is impossible to say for sure.

It all depends on what your goals are. Changing swing plane is a major undertaking and will require some work and some bad scores will probably follow. 

As always try to get a lesson, but if not feasible from the one still pic you posted, it looks like changing your right elbow position may accomplish what you are looking for. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

1 minute ago, CarlH said:

I'd say that it depends on what you do from there.  For me, that's too upright, but it works quite well for Jim Furyk.  🙂 

Irons have been one of my strengths for quite a while - when I put a decent swing on it, I know where it is going and it pretty much stays straight. Driver/woods are typically a different story - one day can be great, the next terrible. Matt also got a picture of me hitting driver with a similar position.

I'd say we'd need to see a video. Many folks, even tour pros, can be vertical, but shallow out on the downswing.

What are your swing faults! Do you strike the ball well?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

This video will tell you everything you need to know about why lie boards are not the answer. 

I deliver my irons slightly toe down. A lie board would say I should go about 2 degrees upright. The problem is, I already hit a draw, so that would turn my draw into a hook. Through a proper fitting I learned I actually need my irons 1.5 degrees flat and I play my wedges at 2 degrees flat 

33 minutes ago, dhartmann34 said:

What are your swing faults! Do you strike the ball well?

Over the last couple years, my primary fault is not maintaining spine angle on my downswing. It's still a tendency, but I don't think it is as bad as it was. I think I hit irons fairly well for a 17 (much of my handicap comes from the tee) - straight to very slight fade when I'm hitting well.

I'll have Matt take a video when we are out Friday afternoon - I have a few from last summer but they are from a bad angle, not as down-the-line as I intended.

How’s the width at the top? I’m not going to tell you either way.

I’ve played a way more vertical swing that you’ve shown us here. Bubba vertical. And a Ben Hogan like flat swing.

Working on a swing like that guy in the red up there. Good mix, and it seems to be my natural plane without over thinking it.

I know there are probably a lot of things causing this position, but if you could get to where your left arm was in line with your right shoulder more at the top it would have to make it easier to get back to impact from there

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

If you look at why golfers have different swing planes could it be they need to do the following in different amounts,  specific to their body's capabilities (this is just a high-level requirement):

1. Using  the rotation of your lower and upper torso to also rotate your arms, will tend to make your arms turn in a plane that is perpendicular to your upper body axis of rotation. This will cause the 'outward' direction of the golf shaft  to point 'above/at/below' the ball target line.

2. You might need to adduct both your arms (in differing amounts) for the 'downward' direction. To ensure that the club shaft points  'at'  the ball-target line so that the club will strike the ball.

3. You need to rotate your forearms to ensure the clubface is square at impact (while clubshaft is also tracing the ball-target line). This will depend on how strong your grip is and your backswing plane.

4. Add to the above how you prefer to release your 'hands/arms  'prior/at/post' impact may also depend on your bodies unique capabilities.

There are over 400 quadrillion ways to swing a golf club and you have to find one that fits your body the best without strain and any danger to yourself (otherwise your 'Central Nervous System'  will just start rejecting it). 

PS. I played golf for the 1st time since last September (only went to the range once during that time and hit 100 balls).  Hit every drive almost perfect ( 240 yds for my old body) but still hit a grim 93 . What let me down was pitching, chipping, putting and bunker play.  Worst of all was inability to predict  how the ball would react to contact making my assessment  of distance just rubbish guesswork.  Just shows where my shortfalls are and its not the full swing (driving for show , putting for dough is so right)

Edited by Wildthing

The backswing/top of the swing doesn’t matter or matter as much as the transition and impact. Lots of different backswings and top of swing positions amongst the pros. Too flat can be as much a problem as too upright.

flattening the swing in transition and rotating would be more important than a “flat” backswing.

as others mentioned a still photo at the top of the swing doesn’t allow for anyone to give any advice.  Seeing a full swing from dtl and face on. As well as what your contact looks like on the face and typical ball flight as well as miss.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree with the poster who suggested a video, I don't think a still photo can be the basis for anything meaningful.  Or better, see a good instructor, let him analyze your swing and help you determine what change you need to make first.

In my own swing, I have a habit of stopping my backswing rotation a bit too soon.  I then "lift" my hands and arms, which gives me the appearance of a pretty steep swing.  One feel I work on, in conjunction with turning back better, is to get "deeper" with my hands, letting them work around my body so that they're further from the target line.  The effect is to "flatten" my swing, but the cure is really body rotation in the backswing, nothing specifically to do with my intended swing plane.

I say all that in order to come back to my second recommendation, see an instructor.  Its quite possible, maybe probable, that your "steep swing" is a symptom of something more basic needing to change.  Get some good analysis, try to determine the root cause, and fix the underlying problem.  Otherwise you may just be band-aiding the symptom.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

21 hours ago, jlukes said:

This video will tell you everything you need to know about why lie boards are not the answer. 

I deliver my irons slightly toe down. A lie board would say I should go about 2 degrees upright. The problem is, I already hit a draw, so that would turn my draw into a hook. Through a proper fitting I learned I actually need my irons 1.5 degrees flat and I play my wedges at 2 degrees flat 

The new shaft optimizer from Mizuno also overrides what a lie board would tell you.... I was quite surprised when I was told I needed to be a degree flatter.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

....check out your right elbow at the top of your swing and where it points and compare it to Rickie/Tiger.

That's not necessarily a "bad" thing but this guy does a good job of going into it in pretty good detail:

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

....check out your right elbow at the top of your swing and where it points and compare it to Rickie/Tiger.

That's not necessarily a "bad" thing but this guy does a good job of going into it in pretty good detail:

The still for the video explains a lot to me - on the left he looks more like a batter. I played baseball/softball for so many years where trail elbow is high to help prevent uppercuts.

I'll definitely have to watch that when I get home tonight.

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Get some good analysis, try to determine the root cause, and fix the underlying problem.

Understood. I'm strongly considering breaking down my swing over the winter and starting over. As I have aged, I'm having some back issues which I'm wondering if I may be torquing my back funny with an upright swing rather than simply rotating around my spine. A good video might go a long way towards helping determine that.

I'm playing golf with @MattF Friday. I'll have him get a couple videos to post.

What's your ball flight like and what's your miss?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

5 minutes ago, CarlH said:

What's your ball flight like and what's your miss?

With irons, my ball flight is on the high side and generally pretty straight with a miss being push/fade. I don't really slice irons much unless I put a particularly bad swing on the ball. Every now and then I will have a straight pull, but not often enough that I ever really think about it.

23 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

With irons, my ball flight is on the high side and generally pretty straight with a miss being push/fade. I don't really slice irons much unless I put a particularly bad swing on the ball. Every now and then I will have a straight pull, but not often enough that I ever really think about it.

So, what's your end goal for a swing change?

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

The still for the video explains a lot to me - on the left he looks more like a batter. I played baseball/softball for so many years where trail elbow is high to help prevent uppercuts.

I'll definitely have to watch that when I get home tonight.

Understood. I'm strongly considering breaking down my swing over the winter and starting over. As I have aged, I'm having some back issues which I'm wondering if I may be torquing my back funny with an upright swing rather than simply rotating around my spine. A good video might go a long way towards helping determine that.

If you do decide to make a change this SMART BALL seems like it would help.

You can get a knock off on Amazon for about 12 bucks.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

35 minutes ago, CarlH said:

So, what's your end goal for a swing change?

Ultimately, consistency, especially with the big dog in hand. Secondary is to relieve pressure on my lower back, but I'm not certain how much the swing is to blame.

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

If you look at George Gankas he teaches internal rotation which is what’s shown here and let the external come in the transition which is the right side pic. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

This could be the result of a steep downswing but again without video no one will know. 

17 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Damn it man, I'm a golfer, NOT a videographer! 🤣

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Hello MaxEntropy,

I would say that do not go with Flatter swing plane.  There is a golf swing called Vertical Drop and Pendulum swing. This swing will produce a lot more accurate and straight shot and it will be easier to contact the blade and ball in square and straight.    Please search for Vertical drop/pendulum in Youtube or see article I wrote in my recent golf blog, golfstruggle.com.

I hope you can find some good help from those materials.

Thanks.

Be Simple and Consistent.  Keep Basics.  Be more forgiving.  Be in Total Control.

Sincerely,

danielS

OK, so it took longer to get a video than I thought. When I played with @MattF over a week ago, the weather was too brutal to get my phone out. @Mr_Theoo was kind enough to record this for me yesterday. It is a 7 iron that I hit about 160 and ended up pin high just on the left fringe.

It looks like you get disconnected about club parallel to the ground. This leads to the internal rotation of the right shoulder. It takes a lot of work to then get the club back on plane. If you look at your club and arms position when club is about parallel in the downswing you are disconnected here as well and arms away from the body. It’s hard to not have a two way miss with that. I struggle with this as well. 

It not a matter of needing to flatter your swing but rather staying connected in the swing  

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It looks like you get disconnected about club parallel to the ground. This leads to the internal rotation of the right shoulder. It takes a lot of work to then get the club back on plane. If you look at your club and arms position when club is about parallel in the downswing you are disconnected here as well and arms away from the body. It’s hard to not have a two way miss with that. I struggle with this as well. 

It not a matter of needing to flatter your swing but rather staying connected in the swing  

Thanks for the feedback. Can you please expand on what you mean by "disconnected" and any tips on drills on how to stay connected?

Another thing I noticed is once your hand get to shoulder height you seem to the reach more/higher this really makes timing harder.

look at Chris ryan on YouTube. He has a bunch of videos on the takeaway, backswing and transition 

2 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Thanks for the feedback. Can you please expand on what you mean by "disconnected" and any tips on drills on how to stay connected?

The distance between your elbows increase and you get the “flying elbow” effect and your right elbow gets kind of behind you. 

Some drills would be stick a towel under both armpits and make some swings keeping the towel from falling out. You could also use a volleyball or something slightly smaller between the elbows. If you wanted to invest in a training the tour striker ball is a good one. The key is to feel like your elbows pinch together, especially in the downswing this will shallow the shaft.