MaxEntropy

Should I Consider Trying to Flatten Out My Swing?

35 minutes ago, CarlH said:

So, what's your end goal for a swing change?

Ultimately, consistency, especially with the big dog in hand. Secondary is to relieve pressure on my lower back, but I'm not certain how much the swing is to blame.

3 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

....check out your right elbow at the top of your swing and where it points and compare it to Rickie/Tiger.

That's not necessarily a "bad" thing but this guy does a good job of going into it in pretty good detail:

If you look at George Gankas he teaches internal rotation which is what’s shown here and let the external come in the transition which is the right side pic. 

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

With irons, my ball flight is on the high side and generally pretty straight with a miss being push/fade. I don't really slice irons much unless I put a particularly bad swing on the ball. Every now and then I will have a straight pull, but not often enough that I ever really think about it.

This could be the result of a steep downswing but again without video no one will know. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

I'm playing golf with @MattF Friday. I'll have him get a couple videos to post.

Damn it man, I'm a golfer, NOT a videographer! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hello MaxEntropy,

I would say that do not go with Flatter swing plane.  There is a golf swing called Vertical Drop and Pendulum swing. This swing will produce a lot more accurate and straight shot and it will be easier to contact the blade and ball in square and straight.    Please search for Vertical drop/pendulum in Youtube or see article I wrote in my recent golf blog, golfstruggle.com.

I hope you can find some good help from those materials.

Thanks.

OK, so it took longer to get a video than I thought. When I played with @MattF over a week ago, the weather was too brutal to get my phone out. @Mr_Theoo was kind enough to record this for me yesterday. It is a 7 iron that I hit about 160 and ended up pin high just on the left fringe.

• Like 1

It looks like you get disconnected about club parallel to the ground. This leads to the internal rotation of the right shoulder. It takes a lot of work to then get the club back on plane. If you look at your club and arms position when club is about parallel in the downswing you are disconnected here as well and arms away from the body. It’s hard to not have a two way miss with that. I struggle with this as well. 

It not a matter of needing to flatter your swing but rather staying connected in the swing  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It looks like you get disconnected about club parallel to the ground. This leads to the internal rotation of the right shoulder. It takes a lot of work to then get the club back on plane. If you look at your club and arms position when club is about parallel in the downswing you are disconnected here as well and arms away from the body. It’s hard to not have a two way miss with that. I struggle with this as well. 

It not a matter of needing to flatter your swing but rather staying connected in the swing  

Thanks for the feedback. Can you please expand on what you mean by "disconnected" and any tips on drills on how to stay connected?

Another thing I noticed is once your hand get to shoulder height you seem to the reach more/higher this really makes timing harder.

look at Chris ryan on YouTube. He has a bunch of videos on the takeaway, backswing and transition 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Thanks for the feedback. Can you please expand on what you mean by "disconnected" and any tips on drills on how to stay connected?

The distance between your elbows increase and you get the “flying elbow” effect and your right elbow gets kind of behind you. 

Some drills would be stick a towel under both armpits and make some swings keeping the towel from falling out. You could also use a volleyball or something slightly smaller between the elbows. If you wanted to invest in a training the tour striker ball is a good one. The key is to feel like your elbows pinch together, especially in the downswing this will shallow the shaft. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The distance between your elbows increase and you get the “flying elbow” effect and your right elbow gets kind of behind you. 

Some drills would be stick a towel under both armpits and make some swings keeping the towel from falling out. You could also use a volleyball or something slightly smaller between the elbows. If you wanted to invest in a training the tour striker ball is a good one. The key is to feel like your elbows pinch together, especially in the downswing this will shallow the shaft. 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

Thanks!

These are pretty good videos to kind of explain show the concept I think you ultimately are trying to accomplish from the op of trying to flatten swing 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

These are pretty good videos to kind of explain show the concept I think you ultimately are trying to accomplish from the op of trying to flatten swing 

Awesome, thanks for the help!

• Like 1

@RickyBobby_PR, I think I finally understand the feeling for not having the "flying elbow ". While swinging my orange whip before our league tonight I felt it. I get it. Now I need to get to a range quickly. I feel like the timing is better for everything else but need to practice the move a lot. May be coincidence, but I also have no pressure in my lower back. Normally I do have some mild pain/tightness after a round. Thanks again for the tip. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

@RickyBobby_PR, I think I finally understand the feeling for not having the "flying elbow ". While swinging my orange whip before our league tonight I felt it. I get it. Now I need to get to a range quickly. I feel like the timing is better for everything else but need to practice the move a lot. May be coincidence, but I also have no pressure in my lower back. Normally I do have some mild pain/tightness after a round. Thanks again for the tip. 

That’s awesome. 

• Like 1