TESTERS WANTED! ×

The Tiger Effect

Shankster

Golf Town's website nearly crashed from demand for the red mock shirt he wore on that fateful Sunday. Sold out insanely quick.

I've been saying it for a few years now, regardless of whether Tiger beats Nicklaus and Snead's records (much more likely now than when I first said this), no other player has had the level of impact that he has on the game of golf. That's enough for me, with his win totals, to crown him the GOAT by a significant margin.

Jack was a hell of a player and great for the game, but his impact pales in comparison to Tiger's, imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

7 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Golf Town's website nearly crashed from demand for the red mock shirt he wore on that fateful Sunday. Sold out insanely quick.

I've been saying it for a few years now, regardless of whether Tiger beats Nicklaus and Snead's records (much more likely now than when I first said this), no other player has had the level of impact that he has on the game of golf. That's enough for me, with his win totals, to crown him the GOAT by a significant margin.

Jack was a hell of a player and great for the game, but his impact pales in comparison to Tiger's, imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The funny thing is other colors or sizes in them went faster than the red. Nike posted them all again the other day and the blue sold out 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

As annoying as it is, this explains why whenever he plays in a tournament, the TV broadcast shows nearly every single shot from him.

I want to see TV broadcasts do a better job at showcasing all of the players on the course, but the numbers don't lie. He moves the needle.

Or as @Golfspy_CG2 says, Tiger is the needle.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

28 minutes ago, palvord said:

As annoying as it is, this explains why whenever he plays in a tournament, the TV broadcast shows nearly every single shot from him.

I want to see TV broadcasts do a better job at showcasing all of the players on the course, but the numbers don't lie. He moves the needle.

Maybe it's just me, but I think they do a good job of showing everyone, not just Tiger. Yes, Tiger gets the lion's share (pun intended), but I think all the players are shown.... at least the players in contention.

No doubt in my mind what effect Tiger has on the game.  I do find it funny how people will think if they play the same ball or the same clubs as Tiger that their game will become magically delicious 🙂 ... 🙂 

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

38 minutes ago, palvord said:

They do show others especially those in the lead or hear it as that is where most of heir cameras are.

granted tigers group may get more attention than some other big names if not near the top but so would jack, Arnie, player and other greats if they played today. Producers and execs aren’t dumb. They know people want to see tiger so if he’s not in the featured group or in the last groups on the weekend they still show him. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

They do show others especially those in the lead or hear it as that is where most of heir cameras are.

granted tigers group may get more attention than some other big names if not near the top but so would jack, Arnie, player and other greats if they played today. Producers and execs aren’t dumb. They know people want to see tiger so if he’s not in the featured group or in the last groups on the weekend they still show him. 

I agree. This isn't me trying to rag on the TV Producers. They HAVE to show Tiger. You are shooting yourself in the foot if you don't. He matters that much.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Is like to see the 2nd quarter earnings for BStone, Nike, Scotty Cameron and Taylormade for 2019 when it’s over verse last years.

I bet there is a significant jump.

Probably in greens fees at courses too. If he’s in contention or wins a summertime major... watch out. Pace of play will be getting slower again.

And a lot more red polos will be sold.

Who would even begin to think that?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

9 minutes ago, revkev said:

Who would even begin to think that?

I don't know, and as much as I don't like Tiger, I can't come up with 1 logical argument that says he isn't good for the game of golf. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Love him or hate him, you've got to respect his game and what effect he has on it.  On a similar note, his comeback tour is a new Tiger -- same fire and desire, but he's more mellow and fan friendly and peer friendly than he ever was before.  It's almost as if it's a conscious effort to repair the damage over the years and secure his legacy beyond his talent....except it's not contrived; it's real.  I like the new Tiger.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I think the tiger affect is more than just the people rooting for him. For every couple people tuning in to watch him play well, there at least 1 person tuning in hoping to see him struggle. IMO that is what sets the real greats apart from the rest.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I think we are going to see another Tiger Boom for golf if he continues to win. And to be honest, it could not come at a better time as the game was struggling to grow with him on the sidelines. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I think the tiger affect is more than just the people rooting for him. For every couple people tuning in to watch him play well, there at least 1 person tuning in hoping to see him struggle. IMO that is what sets the real greats apart from the rest.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think we are going to see another Tiger Boom for golf if he continues to win. And to be honest, it could not come at a better time as the game was struggling to grow with him on the sidelines. 

Yep. I sure wouldn’t mind another boom. I was a young punk kid during his reign of terror so I missed most everything from 2001 on. Was too busy “going to college” and motor sports at the time. But like I said when I was in 7th grade through high school there was a Tiger poster hanging on my wall.

I can only name a few other players from that time frame, only because they were getting phased out or beat Tiger but sheer dumb luck and The occasional talent (Phil, Vijay, Y.E. Yang...)

I’m guessing almost everything he was endorsed by through the years sailed on his stardom.

Like Titleist, they were already cemented as a great but when he started playing them. Boom.

Buick... definitely had to help that cause.

Monster... I get the idea behind it but there has to be a better bag sponsor than monster, like Red Bull.

Nike made him a clothing line, who else has one? A few have tried and failed. “The Shark” is holding on strong.

I can only imagine how many wins he’d have if he didn’t chase a new swing. The Sean Foley drought was a terrible stretch...

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

Yep. I sure wouldn’t mind another boom. I was a young punk kid during his reign of terror so I missed most everything from 2001 on. Was too busy “going to college” and motor sports at the time. But like I said when I was in 7th grade through high school there was a Tiger poster hanging on my wall.

I can only name a few other players from that time frame, only because they were getting phased out or beat Tiger but sheer dumb luck and The occasional talent (Phil, Vijay, Y.E. Yang...)

I’m guessing almost everything he was endorsed by through the years sailed on his stardom.

Like Titleist, they were already cemented as a great but when he started playing them. Boom.

Buick... definitely had to help that cause.

Monster... I get the idea behind it but there has to be a better bag sponsor than monster, like Red Bull.

Nike made him a clothing line, who else has one? A few have tried and failed. “The Shark” is holding on strong.

I can only imagine how many wins he’d have if he didn’t chase a new swing. The Sean Foley drought was a terrible stretch...

Nike is the big one! Nike was never really mentioned in golf until they signed Tiger. Started with clothing then shoes etc. I still remember the cut sleeve jacket that Tiger rocked before it was to be released in a tournament in the early 2000's. It got so popular Nike had to release it early and it sold out instantly. Good luck trying to find the new Red Tiger Mock Neck after this Masters.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

5 hours ago, jayjay0808 said:

Nike is the big one! Nike was never really mentioned in golf until they signed Tiger. Started with clothing then shoes etc. I still remember the cut sleeve jacket that Tiger rocked before it was to be released in a tournament in the early 2000's. It got so popular Nike had to release it early and it sold out instantly. Good luck trying to find the new Red Tiger Mock Neck after this Masters.

Not that hard to find unless one wears a large. Nike has them in stock other than the blue which is completely sold out. The black and lilac ones have less options than he red

I’m waiting for the Frank head cover hats and shirts to be released.

Tiger is golf.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

No doubt in my mind what effect Tiger has on the game.  I do find it funny how people will think if they play the same ball or the same clubs as Tiger that their game will become magically delicious  ...  
Nike tried that...where are they now??

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

2 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Tiger is golf.

Isn’t his headcover already available from Daphne’s? The polo he had on during the press conference sold out on Nike that day

Isn’t his headcover already available from Daphne’s? The polo he had on during the press conference sold out on Nike that day

There’s a black cap with frank on it that I’ve been searching for. No luck so far.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Tiger is golf.

This goes a bit too far. :)

Golf was around before Tiger and will be afterwards. He most certainly makes it better (more interesting).

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

29 minutes ago, revkev said:

This goes a bit too far. 🙂

Golf was around before Tiger and will be afterwards. He most certainly makes it better (more interesting).

Yep. He like Jack and Arnie is a generational golfer. Tiger brought many to the game from all aspects of life and changed how the game was played. Fitness, distance, mental approach.

We don’t know what the next one will bring or what impact will be had on the game but like in every other sport there’s always somebody that is that next person and golf will be no different.