Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Fitting Confusion

I decided to get fit for a new driver this year. Last year I was fit into a TPT shaft for my Epic at Club Champion. I never felt really comfortable with that shaft and Figured I'd try from scratch this year and see what happens. But the skeptic in me just didn't trust the results that I've gotten. I've ended up getting fit at 4 different locations to see/experiment with the results. Each producing a different result. This has led me to confusion and questioning what I should go with. My stats and results are listed below. I did see good numbers with the final result at each fitting but just surprised at how different each of the results were. I didn't make any significant changes to my swing and all the fittings have been within a 1 month period. Any advice would be appreciated.

Current Club: Epic w/ TPT 16 MKP, MT

SS: ~90mph

Fitting 1 (Local Mom and Pop) using Foresight GC2

Result: Taylormade M6 Draw 10.5 Standard settings; GD Tour AD DI 6S

Fitting 2 (Local large Golf shop) using Trackman

Result: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5, weight in Draw, set to Draw +1; Evenflow Black 6.0 75G

Fitting 3 (Demo Day with Callaway Rep) using Trackman

Result: Epic Flash 12.0, weight in Neutral, set to Draw Standard; GD Tour AD DI 6S

Fitting 4 (GolfTec) using Foresight GC2

Result: Epic Flash 10.5, weight in Fade, set to Neutral Standard; Tensei AV 65 S  -1/2in

What do I do with these results?

Edited by pxthree

I'd go with whatever club/setup was most consistent throughout all 4 fittings. Was there one club that was always in the top 2 or 3? I'd say with my untrained eye, I'd pick an Epic Flash with a GD AD DI 6S.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

This is one of the reasons I’m against getting multiple fittings at multiple locations. Swings will vary from session to session, different monitors and possibly different settings on each. Balls between places aren’t the same.

my suggestion would be to look at your ball flight with each and the ball flight numbers from the fittings and determine which gave you a ball flight that you like to see bd which one maximized your carry and total distance. As well as what combo you liked the look/feel of.

Asking for people’s opinions on 4 different combos will get you various responses for each and those will usually be based on their opinions, biases and experiences which may be different than yours.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Would need to see numbers (launch, ballspeed, spin, etc) from the launch monitors comparing your gamer to what you were fitted for. As previously mentioned different day, different balls, different launch monitor.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

did the clubs listed beat the gamer?

are the impacts toward the top of the club face?

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Ignore all four results and get a G410+ 😎

I'm bringing partly funny as everyone else gave the best suggestions.   But seriously the G410 did beat the Epic Flash in my demo.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I would see if you could get the breakdown of the numbers from the different fittings.  You could compare side by side each of the numbers to see which one provided the best results.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 1:25 PM, Markelly82 said:

I would see if you could get the breakdown of the numbers from the different fittings.  You could compare side by side each of the numbers to see which one provided the best results.  

Agree.  Without seeing ball flight data it's impossible to offer an opinion.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'd go back to Club Champion. There is a big performance difference between the Epic and Epic Flash, with the Flash seeming to have a tighter dispersion. Shafts can drive you crazy and you just have to go to the manufacturers websites for the specs. Titleist, for example, offers the Kuro, Tensi, Smoke, & Even-Flow as standard on the TS models, and I listed these from highest trajectory/spin/weight to lowest/heaviest. You just need to hit the shafts with your driver on the same monitor with the same balls and compare the results.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

OP,

One way to fit. You test a few shafts/heads/swing weights. Fitter makes you 1 or 2 clubs, you go play golf. THis is done over several days, not a damn marathon in 4 hours. Thinking a machine can tell you want club to use is, well if you think that go for it. The launch monitor can tell you spin, height, club head data etc. What it cant tell you is the effect of ground contact, different rough, etc, etc, etc. Always play the clubs on course before you buy...ALWAYS

Just IMO.

7 hours ago, 10shot said:

OP,

One way to fit. You test a few shafts/heads/swing weights. Fitter makes you 1 or 2 clubs, you go play golf. THis is done over several days, not a damn marathon in 4 hours. Thinking a machine can tell you want club to use is, well if you think that go for it. The launch monitor can tell you spin, height, club head data etc. What it cant tell you is the effect of ground contact, different rough, etc, etc, etc. Always play the clubs on course before you buy...ALWAYS

Just IMO.

Agreed - that was how I did it when I fit and built for friends and family.  There were a number of drivers that looked good on Trackman but did not inspire confidence on the course.

• 4 months later...

Something everyone needs to remember when getting a fitting. Our swings vary a lot from day to day. All my sticks are fitted and work perfectly when my swing is on. But how often and for how long can I BE ON? Every week we see pros who shoot lights out one week and hack about the next. Even they can't be ON every week. Why should we expect to be.

When approaching a fitting, you should prepare just like you do for playing. That means starting the night before just like you would if you had a big tournament coming up. Warm up like you normally do and try your best to just make your normal swing. Since we can all unconsciously adjust to a club after hitting it a few times, make sure to swing something different after every few swings. Maybe hit a couple of 8i or wedge shots with you own irons. Lastly, make sure the fitting includes final tweaking on the finished product. Grip size, swingweight and balance will not always be perfect on the finished product.

BT

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app