Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2020 Ryder Cup Volunteer - Deal or No Deal?

Bucky CC

I believe I submitted a request to volunteer and instead just got an e-mail that I have been selected to purchase tickets. Is this as exclusive of an opportunity as that Masters? Should I get tickets? If I cannot attend, will there be a market to resell?

Absolutely you should do it.  The $250 is a bargain given you get to be closer to the action and the goods.  I volunteered at The Boeing Classic all but one year due to work travel.  It started out like $40 and was up to $80 when last did it.  But, we got a nice quality pullover or polo-shirt and a hat.  You could sign up for practice green/trap help, marshall, sign bearer, driving range, etc. and it was fun.  That it is in your backyard makes the travel costs nil... which I'm finding out may be the reason I opt not to attend.  I'm a value for the $$ guy and when that ratio is way upside down, it dosen't square for me.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

If you are paying $250 to do something, then you aren't a "volunteer".

That said, I "volunteered" one year when I was living in Hickory, and unemployed and the Champions Tour event was in town, and I had some free time, so I hit up the coordinator and asked if I could do it, explaining I couldn't afford the $75 they wanted from each volunteer, due to me being unemployed.  They reduced the price to $25 for me, and I got a pullover, a polo, and a hat, along with 2 free rounds of golf at the course they played the tournament on, which was a nice track.

I drove a shuttle cart for players on a par 3 that had a long walk over a ravine.  Picked up players and caddies at the tee box, and dropped them green side, rinse wash, and repeat.  I got to meet a lot of the players on the Tour that way, as every player had to come through that hole at some point.  Most of the players were super nice, in their own way.  Only one player stands out as being an ass, and that was Tom Kite, who was rude to a fault with me, for not knowing what he was thinking when approaching the green.  I just ignored him and filed it away in my memory banks.  Whatever.

Would I "volunteer" again?  My wife and I have actually debated doing this whenever our current life situation opens up for something like this.  Treat it as a vacation idea where you pay a little for some gear that costs a whole lot more, and yeah, you put in some time working.  But if you're gonna be there anyway, and you would have bought a ticket anyway, sure, it's a good value for you to do.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

On 8/28/2019 at 11:54 AM, revkev said:

It’s Sheboygan, WI. The nearest hotel available at this point will be in Chicago.

I read an article last week that said all rooms are booked even in Milwaukee.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

When I was there last month, I passed at least 6 or 7 hotels that are under construction along I-43, they may only total 1,000 rooms or less when it's all said and done, but the last time I was there about 10 years ago, there was literally no hotels between Milwaukee and Kohler. 

There is a very nice farm house literally less than 100 yards from the driveway of the WS, I kept driving by it,  and wondering how much it will  rent for the week, my guess is 20K easily. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

If you are paying $250 to do something, then you aren't a "volunteer".
That said, I "volunteered" one year when I was living in Hickory, and unemployed and the Champions Tour event was in town, and I had some free time, so I hit up the coordinator and asked if I could do it, explaining I couldn't afford the $75 they wanted from each volunteer, due to me being unemployed.  They reduced the price to $25 for me, and I got a pullover, a polo, and a hat, along with 2 free rounds of golf at the course they played the tournament on, which was a nice track.
I drove a shuttle cart for players on a par 3 that had a long walk over a ravine.  Picked up players and caddies at the tee box, and dropped them green side, rinse wash, and repeat.  I got to meet a lot of the players on the Tour that way, as every player had to come through that hole at some point.  Most of the players were super nice, in their own way.  Only one player stands out as being an ass, and that was Tom Kite, who was rude to a fault with me, for not knowing what he was thinking when approaching the green.  I just ignored him and filed it away in my memory banks.  Whatever.
Would I "volunteer" again?  My wife and I have actually debated doing this whenever our current life situation opens up for something like this.  Treat it as a vacation idea where you pay a little for some gear that costs a whole lot more, and yeah, you put in some time working.  But if you're gonna be there anyway, and you would have bought a ticket anyway, sure, it's a good value for you to do.

You definitely see a different side of players while working. I had a similar experience with Billy Horschel. He must be a ton of fun outside of golf.

All summed up, really does end up being a deal for the public. They’ve found a price that makes it fair while offering clothing (that I still wear from 6 years ago...a really nice Cutter&Buck 1/4 zip) and access to players if you’re not in a merch tent.

I would definitely do it again...no need to let my pride keep me from enjoying a weeks access pass with better optics of the event while working.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/