GolfSpy STUDque

Pre-Chatter: #CobraConnect Challenge 3

Holy this is entertaining! Definitely going to have to keep close tabs on this!

From everything I've seen on the f9 irons they are hot and long... Anyone care to chime in based off their fittings? 

Hot is an accurate description. I was popping numbers that I didn’t think were possible with the 7 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, palvord said:

Hot is an accurate description. I was popping numbers that I didn’t think were possible with the 7 iron.

I think the lofts are a little jacked, did you still get decent height and spin for a 7 iron? 

Edited by GB13

31 minutes ago, Apolloshowl said:

Holy this is entertaining! Definitely going to have to keep close tabs on this!

From everything I've seen on the f9 irons they are hot and long... Anyone care to chime in based off their fittings? 

Every club seemed hot to me.  Cobra did a great job with their 2019 lineup.   This is what I went with:

Driver: 10.5 degree with Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7 in X flex.  🌲50 all day long!

3 wood: same shaft as driver

Hybrids: The no-upcharge shaft options were limited.  I ended up just going stock with the ATMOS 7 in stiff flex

F9 Irons: Another tough decision.  Before my fitting I went through the Mizuno 3d shaft optimizer at an outdoor range.  Went in to Golf Galaxy a few days later (the only Cobra fitter around me) only to find they didn't carry the top 4 choices with Cobra heads.  My best numbers came with shaft #5 the AMT Tour White.  I almost went with that but ended up choosing my #1 Mizuno choice without ever hitting it; the True Temper Dynamic Gold 120.  The DG 120 and AMT are supposed to be nearly identical shafts except for the AMT having different weights with each iron.  Wasn't sure I was ready for that so I went with the safe choice.  It's also pretty close to the C-Tapers I currently play.  Also asked for everything to be weakened by a degree.

Wedges: 50, 54, 58 all black heads with black dynamic gold S200 shafts.  These things are going to be assassins.  I'll either be pin hunting or blading them like crazy and going after a few car windshields behind the green.  Either way something is going down!!!

• Like 7

Well, we've got the "Lawyer" here, the "Politican" is [mention=78805]palvord[/mention]! Who are the rest of the 3 of y'all? 

I guess you can call me “the assassin” because I’m gonna kill em all.
I went with the
yellow driver 9* hzrdus smoke 6.5 60gram
Yellow 3 wood hzrdus smoke stiff 70 gram
4 hybrid atoms 7 stiff
4-pw tour flt 120
50,54,58 black wedges tour flt 120

• Like 4
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, palvord said:

Welcome to the show! Follow along on Twitter @PhilAlvord and on Instagram @alvordphilip

I can't believe we already have folks spouting off delusions of grandeur like they'll have a chance to win. 

All that matters folks is results.

All of the flowery words and pontificating won't mean a thing when you stand over that 70yd pitch shot with the Cobra King wedge in your hand, and you have to get it on the green to have a chance at saving double bogey. Your trash talk won't be able to stop your palms from sweating profusely, making it near impossible to keep a calm grip, nor stop your knees from shaking so hard, that the Richter scale begins to register an earthquake.

@Nunfa0 @bardle @Bucky CC @robertson153 I can't wait to see what you can produce on the course. This chatter is going to be fun, but can you get the ball in the hole?

I’ll be on your side for this and I got your back....but oh my was that some elegant BS you spewed. Entertaining but still BS. lol

• Like 3

I think the lofts are a little jacked, did you still get decent height and spin for a 7 iron? 

Standard loft for the F9 7 iron is 29.5 degrees.

With the 7 iron I was averaging 4300 on the spin. 95ft on the height. 45 degrees on the land angle. I was happy with those averages.

I ordered:
F9 driver 9 degrees in Atmos Blue Tour Spec 6 stiff shaft cut down a 1/2”
F9 3/4 and 5/6 wood in Atmos Blue 7 stiff shaft
F9 5-PW, and GW in KBS C-Taper Lite stiff shaft. GW 1 degree strong
King black wedges 52, 56, 60 in KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff shaft

• Like 4

I’ll be on your side for this and I got your back....but oh my was that some elegant BS you spewed. Entertaining but still BS. lol

I am nothing, if not entertaining.

• Like 2

I went with the
4 hybrid atoms 7 stiff
4-pw tour flt 120

Kill em all?

Are you referring to the trees you’ll be chopping down with your shots out of the woods?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Kill em all?

Are you referring to the trees you’ll be chopping down with your shots out of the woods?

I think he meant he was going to be silent but deadly.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, robertson153 said:

I went with the
4 hybrid atoms 7 stiff
4-pw tour flt 120

I like it Mr. Assassin! 

Did you get fit? Or did you do a semi-fitting like Bucky? 

16 minutes ago, palvord said:

Standard loft for the F9 7 iron is 29.5 degrees.

With the 7 iron I was averaging 4300 on the spin. 95ft on the height. 45 degrees on the land angle. I was happy with those averages.

I ordered:
F9 driver 9 degrees in Atmos Blue Tour Spec 6 stiff shaft cut down a 1/2”
F9 3/4 and 5/6 wood in Atmos Blue 7 stiff shaft
F9 5-PW, and GW in KBS C-Taper Lite stiff shaft. GW 1 degree strong
King black wedges 52, 56, 60 in KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff shaft

Okay good. I'm always worried about launch and spin with jacked GI clubs. 

• Like 2

I got professionally fit on a trackman. First time so it was interesting but super fun. When I hit a tree it goes through it. With my 109 swing speed and 161 ball speed that ain’t no problem.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, robertson153 said:

I got professionally fit on a trackman. First time so it was interesting but super fun. When I hit a tree it goes through it. With my 109 swing speed and 161 ball speed that ain’t no problem. emoji6.png

Awesome! Glad you were able to be fit! 

Usually when I hit trees, it bounces in the worst possible direction. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Can you guys talk about what you ordered or do we wait for stage 1?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Well I went with the Tour driver at 44.5" with the Atmos TS Blue 6 stiff

3 Wood Atmos Blue 7 Regular

3 hybrid Atmos Blue 7 Regular conventional

Conventional 4-pw True Temper XP95 R300, 2* upright and 1* weaker on the pw

Conventional King Black 52, 56 and 60, 1* stronger on the 52, 2* upright, XP95 R300 shafts.

The lofts are changed for gapping and the shafts are the same as I currently play or as close as I could get 😁😎

• Like 5

@bardle That's really awesome that you are able to set aside this silly stuff and focus on the important things in life. Congrats on the baby girl!

Now, can you be honest here and tell us which news excited you more? That you were having a baby girl, or that you're participating in the the #cobraconnectchallenge3 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GB13 said:

Okay good. I'm always worried about launch and spin with jacked GI clubs. 

I had similar fears about the spin rate, but given the loft its fine. These only go a few yards further than what I am hitting now but the dispersion and height are a lot nicer for me. To be fair, my current irons have almost the exact same lofts as the F9's so I wasn't expecting a lot of distance gain. 

The nice thing is that with the shafts I got fitted for I can slow down and still hit them the same distance. So my contact was so much better with the F9's because of it. I've already started slowing down with my current irons just to get better contact and prep for the new ones. 

8 hours ago, robertson153 said:

I got professionally fit on a trackman. First time so it was interesting but super fun. When I hit a tree it goes through it. With my 109 swing speed and 161 ball speed that ain’t no problem. emoji6.png

109? these are just 7 iron numbers right? Otherwise you're in trouble. 😉

• Like 3

1 minute ago, palvord said:

@bardle That's really awesome that you are able to set aside this silly stuff and focus on the important things in life. Congrats on the baby girl!

Now, can you be honest here and tell us which news excited you more? That you were having a baby girl, or that you're participating in the the #cobraconnectchallenge3 

To be fair, my girl was here well before I was selected so I'll be opting out of this question...Lets just say we celebrated both things. I won't say which one we celebrated more. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, bardle said:

It kinda feels like.cheating since I've been hitting the wrong length clubs and the wrong type of shaft in every club that I have.

My poor competitors. Destroying them is going to be sooooo much fun.😉

Edit: O and not that it matters but +4 wraps on all the grips, apparently I have larger than average hands and my normal grips aren't doing me any favors...

And congrats on being fit into the correct clubs. To me it seems like they just gave you 13 new toys for your baby girl when you have to retire from playing golf ever again after the bludgeoning you're about to take in this competition.

Oh, and hooray for you having larger than average hands.  You know what they say about guys with big hands................

Big gloves.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, palvord said:

Excuse me. Just because I live in this godforsaken city, doesn’t mean I root for the poor excuse for sports franchises.

I root for Cleveland sports and we actually know how to put competitive teams on the field or court. You know. Every 10-30 years or so.

I’m from Akron, OH. Home of LeBron James. The man that brought us our first championship in 50+ years.

Cleveland!? Home of the Browns mark 2? Haven't won the championship since 1964? The place LeBron left so he could be successful, came back for a pity championship and left again?

• Like 4