Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Playing golf with what you have

Big money

How many on here have had success just swinging the swing you have? Meaning, once you grasp the fundamentals of golf ( posture -grip - alignment). You just swing the club without concern if it’s look. But just concerned about advancing the ball to the target.

Im really enjoying just taking this approach to golf. The more I delved in swing change lessons. The worse my game became. I now know where my miss is. Anyone else follow this logic. And how long have you played this way 

Keep it in the short stuff

I’ve played with a couple guys who shared that line of thought. One had a huge sweeping slice/fade while the other hit a low hook. Both guys understood the characteristics of their ball flights and adapted their aim accordingly.

If getting better is the end goal the above school of thought is not the easiest route. If simply enjoying every outing with little concern on improving your game is the goal then tempering expectations while playing “your swing” will certainly get you there.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I like the Crossfield method of instruction where you don't try to teach someone a perfect swing, and instead attack it with path, face, and attack angles. An instructor without GCQuad or Trackman isn't worth it in today's day and age, IMO -- the data is just too valuable.

So to answer your question, yes, I think you can play with what you have, but some simple thoughts can help you get improved impact numbers. Whatever you do from the time you bring the ball back, to when you strike it, doesn't matter IMO. Look at that new guy on tour that GGswingtips is coaching. Everything he does looks like a baseball swing, yet when he gets to impact, it's successful.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

54 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I like the Crossfield method of instruction where you don't try to teach someone a perfect swing, and instead attack it with path, face, and attack angles. An instructor without GCQuad or Trackman isn't worth it in today's day and age, IMO -- the data is just too valuable.

So to answer your question, yes, I think you can play with what you have, but some simple thoughts can help you get improved impact numbers. Whatever you do from the time you bring the ball back, to when you strike it, doesn't matter IMO. Look at that new guy on tour that GGswingtips is coaching. Everything he does looks like a baseball swing, yet when he gets to impact, it's successful.

I agree with this 👏

we have a few quirky swings at the club- one fans the blade way open in the backswing while the handle moves away from his body, it's difficult to watch but he's off a 1 handicap.

our pro picks it up so steeply (due to an injury) but he hits the ball like only a pro can.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I just keep going back to Arnold Palmer "swing your swing". Who cares if it looks ugly (Jim Furyk), if it's repeatable, works and you can play it, go for it.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Jam what you got. Screw the haters...be a player!

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I have to agree with @SteddyGolf, swinging "your swing" can be fun, and many people can play reasonably well that way.  But for others, taking that route can really limit a player.    

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I think most of us swing our swing and play with what we brought.  There's a lot of awkward swings that made good money on the pro tour -- Jim Furyk, Ray Floyd, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player all come to mind.  This is not to say that most of us don't try to improve our swing, as well.  Personally, I'm always working on a better swing, with better face control and better ball contact.  I work on this on the range.  On the course, I rely on my swing as I'm swinging.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

24 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I think most of us swing our swing and play with what we brought.  There's a lot of awkward swings that made good money on the pro tour -- Jim Furyk, Ray Floyd, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player all come to mind.  This is not to say that most of us don't try to improve our swing, as well.  Personally, I'm always working on a better swing, with better face control and better ball contact.  I work on this on the range.  On the course, I rely on my swing as I'm swinging.

I absolutely agree with this, when I'm actually playing, I'm using whatever swing I have.  

If I understood the OP correctly, he was talking about NOT trying to change your swing through lessons and/or practice.  In my opinion, that approach will impose a limit on how well most people can play.  For most of us, changing and improving our swings is the only way to long-lasting improvement in playing ability.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

When I play my best I’m not thinking of my swing at all. Last year, I was playing at Barton Creek with a friend, and the front 9 was awful. I grabbed two beers at the turn, and somehow, just played the back. I ended-up even par on the second nine. The difference was not thinking. But, I will say, that it took me paying for lessons to start improving, as my old swing wasn’t working. We can want to swing our swing, but if it isn’t a good one, sound mechanically, then golf will remain a struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I absolutely agree with this, when I'm actually playing, I'm using whatever swing I have.  
If I understood the OP correctly, he was talking about NOT trying to change your swing through lessons and/or practice.  In my opinion, that approach will impose a limit on how well most people can play.  For most of us, changing and improving our swings is the only way to long-lasting improvement in playing ability.

The idea is to have fun. I’m only commenting because a wide range of people read these threads and it would be 1 in a million who stumbled on their very best golfing potential through the do it yourself method. It’s simply not the wisest approach if playing the best golf you are capable of is your goal.

The usual suspect pros have been brought up here as if they stumbled on it this way. Their swings may look awkward to our untrained eyes. These guys are not weekend hackers. They do or did work with teachers to make their swings as efficient as possible. Furyks father is a teaching pro. Palmer grew up on a golf course and on it goes. The quirks in their swings developed because of their body types or a desire to eliminate a certain shot that plagued them (Trevino’s opened stance block fade to avoid a hook at all costs).

It’s fine to do it your way but working with a good teacher and practicing what you are learning is the simplest way to play your best golf.

This is a test that I would love to see MGS do. 12 guys who’ve never taken lessons, 6 go through the season as they always do, the other 6 take lessons, practice and play. At the end of the year see if there’s any difference in the groups.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

All great thoughts above.  As to the OP, you are describing my swing when I started playing 27 years ago at age 45.  I was sure that I could teach myself to play.  I played a lot of sports, and while not great at anything I could play reasonably well at most anything.  Like most beginners, I started with a big slice to the right which could also result in a pull to the left.  Yes, I could play it and had a lot of fun doing it.  However, as @DaveP043 said it limited my ability to improve.  I didn't have the control of the ball that I wanted, and my driving distance was less than it should be.  Combine that with a lousy short game and I eventually got frustrated.  I nearly quit because I couldn't get better on my own.  I had suggestions from better players, but it wasn't until I went to a coach to fix my swing flaws that I saw improvement.  I still have flaws, and I will always be working to improve.

Everyone is different.  If the goal is to just be outdoors, either playing alone or with friends and not caring about your score, then it doesn't really matter what swing you have.  For others, it's the challenge of improving... hitting the ball straighter, further, or be able to play certain shots.  When they attain a certain level of proficiency, they will seek a new goal.  

It's a game remember, and the game is played however you want to play it.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great responses everyone.When I took lessons for the past decade. They always wanted to change my over top pull or cut. And turned me into a hooker - duck hooker of the golf ball. I’ve went from an in play short cut off the tee. Too an out of control hard hook into the woods. They did fix the over the top. But I felt so under. That my only alternative was swing inside out and hook it. It’s a process I know. And I admit that the bad play just discouraged me ingraining further. Even though it is par for the course.

Now, I’m just using what I have. Using the swing that is considered inferior. But either gives me cut or a slight pull on average. Just way more enjoyable knowing where the ball might end up. Even though the lesson draw-hook swing would yield me a better player in the future . Once ingrained if I stuck it thru 

I play to an index of 5, and I have never taken a lesson. My swing is a product of many years of playing sports, it’s natural, and i know what’s going on with it. In order for me to get my index lower, I will likely need to get a few lessons to get me over that hump, but for know I just swing what I got

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm currently relearning my golf swing with lessons. I finished last year mostly content with where my game was, my swing was not pretty, mostly arms and wrists with a 3/4 swing, I was not going to out drive anyone but I was ok and wanting to be better.

I decided before this new season I wanted to get in shape , drop weight and really try to improve my game, golf is my thing now and I wanted to get better , more consistent ball striking and get better with the scoring clubs. Its been a frustrating process, new grip, rotation, clearing the hips to a great finishing position. Aiming to hit down on the ball and not the c motion scoop motion.

Not sure where I'm going with this, but I felt to get better I needed to change my swing and not adjust to my poor form to get somewhat better results.

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Great responses everyone.When I took lessons for the past decade. They always wanted to change my over top pull or cut. And turned me into a hooker - duck hooker of the golf ball. I’ve went from an in play short cut off the tee. Too an out of control hard hook into the woods. They did fix the over the top. But I felt so under. That my only alternative was swing inside out and hook it. It’s a process I know. And I admit that the bad play just discouraged me ingraining further. Even though it is par for the course.
Now, I’m just using what I have. Using the swing that is considered inferior. But either gives me cut or a slight pull on average. Just way more enjoyable knowing where the ball might end up. Even though the lesson draw-hook swing would yield me a better player in the future . Once ingrained if I stuck it thru 

There’s nothing wrong with just wanting to roll out of bed, go to course and have fun - we don’t play golf for a living. I’m pretty surprised that a modern teacher would try to make such a radical change. That would cost you a season at least.

Go have fun

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Reminds me a lot of this video talking about finding your natural swing. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

We all have different body shapes, physical capabilities and athletic abilities. So swinging with what you got or how you can is one thing. Grip, posture and alignment are just a piece of the puzzle. When you look at pros or high level amateurs their swings look different at different points in the swing but what they all have in common is the few inches before impact thru release.

i play with guys who were self taught or had some basic lessons and several have been able to get to single digits but will have days where they look and play like a high cap (I’m also in this boat). Due to my ability to recover the swing and make ok or better contact there are days where when it’s off it can be way off.

i had a lesson today with a new instructor and was somewhat surprised that her thoughts and approach on the swing are similar to my last two instructors. She had a different way to go about teaching, explaining and demonstrating how to achieve the feels. She isn’t technical in teaching positions but focuses on feels. We used what I have and can do to get the feels to achieve better positioning that makes delivering the clubhead better and more consistent.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Okay.... I'll comment.

I have never been fit for clubs. I have taken a few lessons. I have learned and tried to apply what I have learned from those lessons.

I have never tried to change my swing. I'm 59 years old and soon to be 60. I have no desire to go through what it takes to change my swing. I'm a serious, casual golf fanatic...lol. I LOVE to play golf! I always have fun.... even if I get aggravated sometimes.

I have come to terms with my age and ability at this age. I know for a fact I could be a better player with more lessons/fitting/practice............... I don't care! I work 10+ hours a day for at least half of the year. I have no time for lessons or getting fit (my excuse...lol). I play what I have.... and I have a good time doing so. Of course I would like to be a better player, but at almost 60 and shooting in the low 80's high 70's most of the time.............. I enjoy the game and the people I play with. To me, that is more important than being as good as I could possibly be.

Okay.... I'll comment.
I have never been fit for clubs. I have taken a few lessons. I have learned and tried to apply what I have learned from those lessons.
I have never tried to change my swing. I'm 59 years old and soon to be 60. I have no desire to go through what it takes to change my swing. I'm a serious, casual golf fanatic...lol. I LOVE to play golf! I always have fun.... even if I get aggravated sometimes.
I have come to terms with my age and ability at this age. I know for a fact I could be a better player with more lessons/fitting/practice............... I don't care! I work 10+ hours a day for at least half of the year. I have no time for lessons or getting fit (my excuse...lol). I play what I have.... and I have a good time doing so. Of course I would like to be a better player, but at almost 60 and shooting in the low 80's high 70's most of the time.............. I enjoy the game and the people I play with. To me, that is more important than being as good as I could possibly be.

Well said!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

3 hours ago, silver & black said:

Okay.... I'll comment.

Preach it bruther!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Okay.... I'll comment.

Exactly where I stand on it. I always have a good time playing and I'm just not that concerned about handicap. I could fairly easily take 5-10 strokes off it with some better choices, but I like taking on the challenge of specific shots, even though the probability of making them is low.

Just have fun playing your game.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I’ve been around this game for half a century now.Ive witnessed many an amateur player try and alter their natural motions.Maybe less than a dozen have done this and done it successfully.And if your over 30 years old-work full time and have a family.Than just forget this idea all together and go and just enjoy golf.The new in teaching is worrying about what my swing looks like.And has shifted from what my swing produces.We need to go back to the later way of thinking.Their is huge profits in the teaching aspect of golf.They always promise their students the gold at end of the rainbow.But many don’t realize the time and funds it takes to get there.Let the ball flight tell you what needs to change.Forget the major changes if your an amateur golfer who has been doing this for a while.Once you have a swing ingrained.It will always be there 

Edited by Big money

One of my favorite golf books is  Fred Shoemaker's book, Extraordinary Golf.  I highly recommend it.  It presents a new paradigm in learning and appreciating golf.  

The first question asked in the book is, "Why do you play golf?"  I think that same question is the heart of this thread.  

"The problem is that we confuse the goal of the game, which is scoring as low as possible (winning), with the purpose of the game, which we decide for ourselves." p. 31.  

This struck a chord with me.  I really thought about my reasons for playing golf and it changed my outlook, enjoyment, frustration level, the way I interact with my playing partners, how I practice and appreciation for the game.

I really though about the reasons for playing this crazy game.  I discovered that the top reasons had little to do with my score: time spent with my good friends,  being physically active, enjoying the outdoors, trips with my buddies, self discovery.  Other reasons for playing are tied to skill development: learning, challenge, the game has to be experienced and can't be learned academically.

The irony is that by letting go of a focus on swing and mechanics and traditional lessons, and moving to self discovery, experience, skill development and awareness of my own natural movements, my scores have dropped dramatically the last couple of years and I'm playing some of the best golf I have ever played.  My swing has changed, without an instructor telling me what to do or me consciously trying to manipulate a change, but by increasing awareness.

Anyway, for those on this thread who have tried the traditional lesson method for improvement and want a new way to approach golf, give Shoemaker a read.  Chapter 3 is especially illuminating, where he talks about the Culture of Golfers.  In the chapter, he discusses how to move from "fixation" (there is something wrong with my swing and I have to fix it) to awareness ("increased awareness allows the body's natural instincts to come into play, and these instincts make the swing more powerful and efficient.  Awareness thus leads to improvement.)   

My approach is this:  I go to the range before my tee time.  I hit 10 balls with a 9 iron, 10 balls with a 5 iron and 10 with the driver.  I chip/pitch 10 balls then finish with 10 putts of various lengths.  I then take that game (warts and all) to the course.  No trying to fix anything, no working on anything..just see how I am hitting the ball and then go play golf.  If I cannot hit the draw on this particular day..forget about it..hit what you got and enjoy a day on the golf course.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

1 hour ago, deauxrite said:

My approach is this:  I go to the range before my tee time.  I hit 10 balls with a 9 iron, 10 balls with a 5 iron and 10 with the driver.  I chip/pitch 10 balls then finish with 10 putts of various lengths.  I then take that game (warts and all) to the course.  No trying to fix anything, no working on anything..just see how I am hitting the ball and then go play golf.  If I cannot hit the draw on this particular day..forget about it..hit what you got and enjoy a day on the golf course.

I don’t think that’s what the op was getting at. Op imo is talking more about whatever your swing is that’s what it is and not looking to take lessons or change what you do and play your entire golf career that way

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Might be its own topic but since my post here I've taken 2 lessons and honestly became so frustrated that I've not felt like golfing at all, its ugly.

Today I went to my local fitter who also is an instructor and with 3 easy drills my swing has started to come back around .

Reading some other posts hitting with a monitor , not using range balls and a real different teaching style seems to have kick started my swing.

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe