Big money

Playing golf with what you have

3 hours ago, silver & black said:

Okay.... I'll comment.

I have never been fit for clubs. I have taken a few lessons. I have learned and tried to apply what I have learned from those lessons.

I have never tried to change my swing. I'm 59 years old and soon to be 60. I have no desire to go through what it takes to change my swing. I'm a serious, casual golf fanatic...lol. I LOVE to play golf! I always have fun.... even if I get aggravated sometimes.

I have come to terms with my age and ability at this age. I know for a fact I could be a better player with more lessons/fitting/practice............... I don't care! I work 10+ hours a day for at least half of the year. I have no time for lessons or getting fit (my excuse...lol). I play what I have.... and I have a good time doing so. Of course I would like to be a better player, but at almost 60 and shooting in the low 80's high 70's most of the time.............. I enjoy the game and the people I play with. To me, that is more important than being as good as I could possibly be.

Preach it bruther!

• Like 2

Okay.... I'll comment.
I have never been fit for clubs. I have taken a few lessons. I have learned and tried to apply what I have learned from those lessons.
I have never tried to change my swing. I'm 59 years old and soon to be 60. I have no desire to go through what it takes to change my swing. I'm a serious, casual golf fanatic...lol. I LOVE to play golf! I always have fun.... even if I get aggravated sometimes.
I have come to terms with my age and ability at this age. I know for a fact I could be a better player with more lessons/fitting/practice............... I don't care! I work 10+ hours a day for at least half of the year. I have no time for lessons or getting fit (my excuse...lol). I play what I have.... and I have a good time doing so. Of course I would like to be a better player, but at almost 60 and shooting in the low 80's high 70's most of the time.............. I enjoy the game and the people I play with. To me, that is more important than being as good as I could possibly be.

Exactly where I stand on it. I always have a good time playing and I'm just not that concerned about handicap. I could fairly easily take 5-10 strokes off it with some better choices, but I like taking on the challenge of specific shots, even though the probability of making them is low.

Just have fun playing your game.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I’ve been around this game for half a century now.Ive witnessed many an amateur player try and alter their natural motions.Maybe less than a dozen have done this and done it successfully.And if your over 30 years old-work full time and have a family.Than just forget this idea all together and go and just enjoy golf.The new in teaching is worrying about what my swing looks like.And has shifted from what my swing produces.We need to go back to the later way of thinking.Their is huge profits in the teaching aspect of golf.They always promise their students the gold at end of the rainbow.But many don’t realize the time and funds it takes to get there.Let the ball flight tell you what needs to change.Forget the major changes if your an amateur golfer who has been doing this for a while.Once you have a swing ingrained.It will always be there 

Edited by Twofer
  • Like 1

One of my favorite golf books is  Fred Shoemaker's book, Extraordinary Golf.  I highly recommend it.  It presents a new paradigm in learning and appreciating golf.  

The first question asked in the book is, "Why do you play golf?"  I think that same question is the heart of this thread.  

"The problem is that we confuse the goal of the game, which is scoring as low as possible (winning), with the purpose of the game, which we decide for ourselves." p. 31.  

This struck a chord with me.  I really thought about my reasons for playing golf and it changed my outlook, enjoyment, frustration level, the way I interact with my playing partners, how I practice and appreciation for the game.

I really though about the reasons for playing this crazy game.  I discovered that the top reasons had little to do with my score: time spent with my good friends,  being physically active, enjoying the outdoors, trips with my buddies, self discovery.  Other reasons for playing are tied to skill development: learning, challenge, the game has to be experienced and can't be learned academically.

The irony is that by letting go of a focus on swing and mechanics and traditional lessons, and moving to self discovery, experience, skill development and awareness of my own natural movements, my scores have dropped dramatically the last couple of years and I'm playing some of the best golf I have ever played.  My swing has changed, without an instructor telling me what to do or me consciously trying to manipulate a change, but by increasing awareness.

Anyway, for those on this thread who have tried the traditional lesson method for improvement and want a new way to approach golf, give Shoemaker a read.  Chapter 3 is especially illuminating, where he talks about the Culture of Golfers.  In the chapter, he discusses how to move from "fixation" (there is something wrong with my swing and I have to fix it) to awareness ("increased awareness allows the body's natural instincts to come into play, and these instincts make the swing more powerful and efficient.  Awareness thus leads to improvement.)   

• Like 6

My approach is this:  I go to the range before my tee time.  I hit 10 balls with a 9 iron, 10 balls with a 5 iron and 10 with the driver.  I chip/pitch 10 balls then finish with 10 putts of various lengths.  I then take that game (warts and all) to the course.  No trying to fix anything, no working on anything..just see how I am hitting the ball and then go play golf.  If I cannot hit the draw on this particular day..forget about it..hit what you got and enjoy a day on the golf course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deauxrite said:

My approach is this:  I go to the range before my tee time.  I hit 10 balls with a 9 iron, 10 balls with a 5 iron and 10 with the driver.  I chip/pitch 10 balls then finish with 10 putts of various lengths.  I then take that game (warts and all) to the course.  No trying to fix anything, no working on anything..just see how I am hitting the ball and then go play golf.  If I cannot hit the draw on this particular day..forget about it..hit what you got and enjoy a day on the golf course.

I don’t think that’s what the op was getting at. Op imo is talking more about whatever your swing is that’s what it is and not looking to take lessons or change what you do and play your entire golf career that way

• Like 2

Might be its own topic but since my post here I've taken 2 lessons and honestly became so frustrated that I've not felt like golfing at all, its ugly.

Today I went to my local fitter who also is an instructor and with 3 easy drills my swing has started to come back around .

Reading some other posts hitting with a monitor , not using range balls and a real different teaching style seems to have kick started my swing.

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1