GolfSpy Stroker

how much of the butt end of your club sticks out?

I always play with my grip to start the season....it's a stupid quirk and one I wish I could get rid of.

Nevertheless I've always gripped as close the 'end' of the club as possible with my top hand (left, since I'm a RH player), but I think I need to grip down a little bit to have both more control and a firmer grip on the club.

I've tried it and it does feel different and like I have better control of things.

So - how much of the top of your club is exposed when you grip it?  Why?  Have you tried it both ways?

Note: I realize chipping is completely different and you intentionally grip down doing that and with some other specialty shots like punching out from under things and stuff; I'm talking about a normal, full golf shot from a typical lie.

• Like 1

I probably have about an inch sticking out. It keeps me on the right part of the grip, but also gives me superior control, as opposed to gripping way on the butt on the club. 

• Like 1

I probably leave about 1/2" to 1" above my top hand - certainly not any more than that for normal swings. 

• Like 3

Normally I have very little space between end of club and top hand. A lot of times I have to remind myself to check this to make sure it's not too high. When my swing gets sideways I will grip down further, probably just over an inch, it helps my get everything back in line. 

• Like 1

I used to be the same way. I figured since I was tall, I needed all the extra club I could get a hold of. I've since changed my grip and now have about a 1/2" to 1" of space on the end. 

• Like 1

I normally grip the club with the heel pad of my lead hand (left) just below the end of the grip; not touching the end of the grip, not an inch away.  

As you say with the short game, I grip down for better control.  But I will also grip down for lower shots with any club.

• Like 2

I’d say I have at least a half inch sticking out, if not more. I’ll usually grip down on my driver for more control.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I'm always at least 1" choked down on my driver, and probably 1/4" on everything else. The main reason for choking down on the driver is because of having too soft of a shaft in that one. 

Thanks for starting this thread, it's made me think about trying to choke down a little on my irons, I guess I've just never thought about it since I was fit for +1/2" in length...might as well use it.

• Like 1

1/2 inch or less for normal swings.  It's not right at the end, but not choked down, either.  I do choke down for some full shots and definitely do for wedge finesse shots.

• Like 1

I am pretty close to the end of the grip; one of the bad aspects of my grip.

• Like 2

Right at the end! there's about a quarter of an inch of the fleshy part of the the thumb pad sticking OVER the grip end.

Timely post, thanks for reminding me to have more grip showing and less thumb pad.

I did try it before and it feels like you have more control, so I must try again.

• Like 1

I've always been a "right at the end of the grip" guy, and I'm probably not changing that for ordinary swings. That said, I did some experimenting with the SkyTrak gripping down to hit "in between" stock yardages with my clubs, and that seemed to work well, so I'm likely to incorporate that into my game this summer.

It's odd, I was just thinking of starting a throwaway thread today on a question related to this: if the grip is showing, would you say you are choking down or choking up on the club? 🙂

• Haha 1

I have never seen anyone grip down on the grip as far as Brooke Henderson.  

Does gripping down that far act like counterbalancing does on a putter?

Like many others, I grip down with like 1/2" showing. I choke down a little more when I'm trying to hit it 5 yards shorter with any club.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Just now, yungkory said:

Like many others, I grip down with like 1/2" showing. I choke down a little more when I'm trying to hit it 5 yards shorter with any club.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Do you choke down to hit it any more accurate? 
i.e. does your accuracy increase in relation to how far down the grip you go (within reason)... ?

Likely 1/2 - 1/4” down and that’s also for knock down or half swings.  It just feels right to have some sustenance there.  

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Do you choke down to hit it any more accurate? 
i.e. does your accuracy increase in relation to how far down the grip you go (within reason)... ?

Never really noticed, for me it's mostly distance control. I'm not laser accurate to begin with so if I'm pin-high at least I know I have a chance to make par. I try to keep things simple if possible :)

• Like 1

I normally grip the club with the heel pad of my lead hand (left) just below the end of the grip; not touching the end of the grip, not an inch away.  
As you say with the short game, I grip down for better control.  But I will also grip down for lower shots with any club.

+1 for the most part. If it's windy (since I live on OK - it's often windy) I will grip down a bit to flight the ball or to make sure I hit the driver more flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

No more than an inch for me. Interestingly, I start started a post on Brooke Henderson who grips all of her clubs about halfway down. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, golfertrb said:

+1 for the most part. If it's windy (since I live on OK - it's often windy) I will grip down a bit to flight the ball or to make sure I hit the driver more flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do I.  I've played in OK.  It's just as windy here in the desert part of WA.