TESTERS WANTED! ×

Attacked by a bobcat(!) in CT on a golf course

StrokerAce

Crazy story from Connecticut recently....

https://www.theday.com/local-news/20190423/new-london-man-recounts-attack-by-rabid-bobcat

Mike looked up when John yelled to him to watch out. He saw an animal coming toward him, and turned away.

Mike later learned that a rabid bobcat had jumped on his back, biting his left arm and shoulder while clawing the top of his head.

What happened is still a blur to Mike, but recounting the attack over coffee on Tuesday, he still could hear its low, guttural growl. He still could smell it — faintly like a skunk.

John was trying to hit the bobcat with his iron, though he was unsure if he did, while trying to avoid hitting Mike.

"It was surreal," Fred said. "You see what was taking place, going down, and you're saying, 'That can't possibly be whatever it was on top of Mike.'"

Mike and the cat tumbled down the hill and, though Mike doesn't know why, the bobcat finally let go of him. His friends estimate the bobcat was on him for two or three minutes.

Have you ever been attacked by an animal on a golf course?
I think the worst I experienced was a goose but he realized I was bigger and carrying a metal rod so he changed his mind... 🙂

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

https://www.theday.com/local-news/20190423/new-london-man-recounts-attack-by-rabid-bobcat

I think the worst I experienced was a goose but he realized I was bigger and carrying a metal rod so he changed his mind... 🙂

Just geese. The course I played my league on 20 years ago has tons of geese. The mommas are super defensive when chicks are around. There were a couple holes you had to be carrying a club to keep them away.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I've never been attacked, but my snacks and candy have been snagged by black crows while I was away from the golf cart. I did get attacked by my own ball once, but that's a long story and scars remain, both externally and internally. 🙄

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

... I have been dive bombed by a momma red winged blackbird protecting their nest several times. Crazy those things actually make contact with your hair. I can't imagine attacking an elephant that is twice the normal size but that must be what it is like fo those momma blackbirds. 

... I saw a Bobcat last week sitting next to the cart path, then sauntering over to a tree and started grooming himself in the shade. I could not imagine that cat coming at me! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I take it back!  a couple years ago I was playing in Rhode Island and we we're apparently near someone who had some "free range" chickens....I say free range because they were roaming around on the course but I think they got out of the yard.

I was playing with some city boys who grew up in Providence and my grandpa had a chicken farm with 880,000 chickens.  

These 3 come sauntering over to check out our cart and one guy had some mixed nuts.  You should have seen these city boys take off running!  You would have thought they were ferocious alligators.  

Well, they jumped into the cart and had a tasty snack with the mixed nuts.

I shooed them away so the guys could play their shots and they jumped into the cart QUICK and blitzed out of there.  

The tee box for the next hole was by the green we just finished and of course those chickens decide to come over and see if we had any more snacks for them.  I whooshed them away and they went on back their merry way.

Beautiful birds - Rhode Island Reds.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island_Red

chicken1.jpgchecken2.jpg

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

We had two cougar sightings yesterday on a popular hiking trail on Badger Mountain on the edge of town.  

My course Columbia Point GC is an Audobon International property which means all birds are protected; can't harass them.  Since we have several ponds, we have lots of geese and they have babies here every year.  My nickname for the course is Goose Poop Point.  I would like the course better if there were no geese.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

31 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Beautiful (delicious) birds

There, I fixed it for you!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

In a previous life, I helped the local high school golf program.  I was playing one afternoon with some of the kids on the team.  One kid was trying to get his ball out of a marshy area without much luck.  My first step into the uncut fescue landed directly on top of a snake.  I jumped and turned to run.  The snake wrapped its tail around my ankle and I drug it 20 feet into the fairway. 

Somehow, I didn't get bit which is surprising given how aggressive Northern Water Snakes tend to be.

I haven't been attacked by anything but many years ago I had a run-in with a flock of little egrets. I was living in Florida at the time and there was a nice little golf course down the street from my house in Palmetto.

I was on a par 5 hitting my second shot from around 235 or so and in those days I played 1-PW of MP 14's so I hit my 1 iron. I absolutely ripped it and the egrets were in the middle of the fairway about 150 yards ahead of me and just as the ball was flying over them, the flock took off and I hit one of those birds right in the head. The bird dropped dead in the fairway. I felt terrible for killing the bird but I did manage to make birdie :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

14 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Not attacked, but @Vincemoaloka can attest that I was chased around the cart by a wild boar. Mama and her baby came rushing down the hill towards us. Baby couldn't stop and ended up flying into the bushes. Mama stopped to try and rob me of my hand roll sushi.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Never attacked but the course I play has a fox that roams occasionally, last year while setting up to putt, it was some what stalking us , getting closer and then stole one of the balls off the green and ran off.

Sent from my SM-N960W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe