Bryaneck1

Shortening the shaft to 43.5 inches

Does shortening a shaft from 45 to 43.5 inches appreciably change the characteristics of the shaft. Obviously you are taking off a gram or 2 but does it effect flex , swing weight etc...thanks 

It'll effect swing weight for sure, so if you need to, you'll have to add more weight to bring it back up.

Flex, not so much.

• Like 1

If all you do is remove the grip and cut 1.5” off the butt end and regrip, the shaft will play slightly stiffer and swing weight lighter. Now if you decide to add head weight to bring the swing weight back up the shaft will then play softer (depending on how much weight is added back to the head). Most wood shafts are the same whether driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, etc. The difference is the tipping due to heavier heads in the fairways. This tipping allows for the shaft to play similar flex wise.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I’ve done this a few times now. Instead of messing with the length, swing weight, etc. I now just put a mid sized grip on my driver and grip down. The midsized grip makes things feel “normal” when gripping that far down when I need/want to, and I don’t affect the shafts character or it’s resale value.

• Like 2

I know it's been mentioned but the the most important thing to stress is the change in swing weight. D3 to C8 or lower can be a massive difference and will impact how the club feels and your ability to feel and control the head. Too light and it will feel like you're trying to hit a ball with a piece of straw. If you're going to shorten it, be sure you have a well calculated method to bring the swing weight back up. Does your driver have adjustable weights so you can purchase heavier replacements? Are you ok with a bunch of lead tape on the bottom of the head? Personally I'm not a fan of lead tape so I purchased nylon poly fill and stuffed about 16g of it in the head of a driver that I had shortened to get back to D2. After about 5 years of swinging a shorter driver, I realized that it wasn't doing much good and that I have better control and speed at 45.5"

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

• Like 3

swing weight is very over rated IMO. I shortened a shaft and you get used to the SW after a few swings on the range. The bigger issue is the loss of distance. If you can control a longer shaft, stick with it

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

swing weight is very over rated IMO. I shortened a shaft and you get used to the SW after a few swings on the range. The bigger issue is the loss of distance. If you can control a longer shaft, stick with it

Reaction to different swing weights is entirely dependent on the golfer.

Different golfers will react differently to changes and swing weight and there isn't really a correlation in terms of what happens.  Same thing goes for shaft length, flex, weight and bend point.   All of these things effect what a golfer feels during the swing and they might alter their swing base on those feels.

There are no absolutes, and that is why fitting is so important.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Different golfers will react differently to changes and swing weight and there isn't really a correlation in terms of what happens.  Same thing goes for shaft length, flex, weight and bend point.   All of these things effect what a golfer feels during the swing and they might alter their swing base on those feels.

Absolutely, but as a 13HDCP player, I am not sure you are tuned in to that stuff as much as a 4....but you are definitely correct.

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

Absolutely, but as a 13HDCP player, I am not sure you are tuned in to that stuff as much as a 4....but you are definitely correct.

I think you'd be surprised.  Handicap or skill level really doesn't have bearing on how one reacts to changes in club dynamics.  In fact, I'd argue that the more skilled player can adjust and adapt faster to those changes, while the less skilled player cannot and is more reliant on having something that they are comfortable swinging and that feels natural.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I think you'd be surprised.  Handicap or skill level really doesn't have bearing on how one reacts to changes in club dynamics.  In fact, I'd argue that the more skilled player can adjust and adapt faster to those changes, while the less skilled player cannot and is more reliant on having something that they are comfortable swinging and that feels natural.

I see your point. I'm a 10 for the most part and ive changed some shafts and shortened a shaft here and there. Once I was on the range for 10 minutes I was used to the new set up. The biggest change for me was performance on the course. Gaining a bit of accuracy with the shorter set up resulted in 20 yards of lost distance....hitting a 6 iron into a green instead of my 8 iron resulted in lost strokes. I went back to my 45.5 shaft and worked on my swing and hitting it straighter.  Its always a give and take

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Absolutely - in fact its possible that a person may hit a driver with a 43.5 inch shaft longer than he does the one with the 45 because he squares it up better.  Unlikely but there is going to be someone out there who does.

I know that MGS sees this in its most wanted testing all the time - there will be a driver that stands out in its most wanted testing as "the best."  There will be on that stands out as "the worst."  There will be a tester who can't hit "the best" worth a lick and who kills "the worst" long and straight.

• Like 6

There will be a tester who can't hit "the best" worth a lick and who kills "the worst" long and straight.

Are you talking about me?

Players see clubs differently and how they setup does influence how you hit the club. I have had to completely change my setup to hit a few clubs.

I am one of those individuals that cannot perceive the changes in club configuration. The results may change but I don’t “feel” subtle swingweight or length changes.

The theoretical advantage gained from the shortened shaft is more center contact resulting in more distance. For some individuals longer shafts will hav the same effect. First path to more distance is hit the center of the face.
  • Like 6

I personally like to have my driver at 45" and choke up when I need a more accurate shot. That leaves me the option grip it at 45" when I have and wide open fairway and want to hit a bomb (that may be a bit offline (okay, a lot))..... Now that I think about it, I should probably get mine cut down as well, so I'm not tempted to play it at 45 inches. Forget everything I said before this! 🙂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

... Just remember that every 1/4" you miss the center of your driver you lose approximately 5-7yds. So a typical 1" miss toward the toe is losing 20-28yds. Hitting the center at 43.5-44"" will produce a longer drive than 45" or longer and missing the center by more than 1/2". Personally I hit 44" longer than any other length as well as best combination of accuracy and distance. Most golfers, but certainly not all, lose more distance with 45-45.5" drivers than they realize in a typical round. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 6

I tried taking a full inch off the shaft and it changed the outcome radically.   I found a 1/2" and a lighter shaft has made a lot sense for me. 

• Like 1

I have reduced the length of my g400 to 44".  It has resulted in a 5-10 yard reduction in distance, slightly lower ball flight and 1 additional fairway hit per 18 holes over the last 6 months.  I keep very detailed statistics on driving and putting.  Now I have gone the other direction and replaced the shortened shaft with a 47 1/2 inch shaft.  Results are still out, but it appears that distance has increased 12-20 yards and fairways hit have remained the same..so far.  The big difference is that I am hitting 9 irons instead of 7 irons..resulting in more greens in regulation and a small increase in birdies.  I have been surprised that the number of fairways hit have remained constant..surprised but pleased because it has made a big difference in the number of greens in regulation.  Time will tell on this experiment.

• Like 2

I would make the argument, sitting here at the desk, having not seen anyone else hit a ball...

The loss in swingweight will have a minimal impact on how well you hit your driver. How long it is will have a much bigger impact. In my opinion, clubs, especially drivers, are longer than most of the general public can hit well and control. I'm in my early 40s, have been playing since I was a teen, and I still play my driver 44". If I buy a branded driver (not a component), the first thing I do is peel the grip off, trim it back to 44", regrip and go. Have a hit a 45" driver? Yes. Farther? For sure. But I was so much more inconsistent with my ball-striking, it wasn't worth it. I was missing more fairways by wider margins. The longer driver made the game harder, not easier. By the 2nd tee, I didn't care that it felt different than my 44" driver. What I cared about was how wide my misses were, and how frequently I didn't hit it well. My 44" driver still goes over 270, that's good enough for me. Me and my F7+ are perfectly happy together at 44".

• Like 2

I’m a 44.5 man and love it that way! I’m 6’ 2” and can’t hit a 45+ driver worth a .

• Like 2

I have played with a 44" and a 44.5" and the differences are radical for me. I recently went BACK to the 45" and I'm hitting the ball much further than the other 2 combos. I did gain some accuracy when i dropped shaft length, but the distance loss was noticeable.

• Like 1