TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shortening the shaft to 43.5 inches

Bryaneck1

It'll effect swing weight for sure, so if you need to, you'll have to add more weight to bring it back up.

Flex, not so much.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

If all you do is remove the grip and cut 1.5” off the butt end and regrip, the shaft will play slightly stiffer and swing weight lighter. Now if you decide to add head weight to bring the swing weight back up the shaft will then play softer (depending on how much weight is added back to the head). Most wood shafts are the same whether driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, etc. The difference is the tipping due to heavier heads in the fairways. This tipping allows for the shaft to play similar flex wise.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I’ve done this a few times now. Instead of messing with the length, swing weight, etc. I now just put a mid sized grip on my driver and grip down. The midsized grip makes things feel “normal” when gripping that far down when I need/want to, and I don’t affect the shafts character or it’s resale value.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I know it's been mentioned but the the most important thing to stress is the change in swing weight. D3 to C8 or lower can be a massive difference and will impact how the club feels and your ability to feel and control the head. Too light and it will feel like you're trying to hit a ball with a piece of straw. If you're going to shorten it, be sure you have a well calculated method to bring the swing weight back up. Does your driver have adjustable weights so you can purchase heavier replacements? Are you ok with a bunch of lead tape on the bottom of the head? Personally I'm not a fan of lead tape so I purchased nylon poly fill and stuffed about 16g of it in the head of a driver that I had shortened to get back to D2. After about 5 years of swinging a shorter driver, I realized that it wasn't doing much good and that I have better control and speed at 45.5"

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

swing weight is very over rated IMO. I shortened a shaft and you get used to the SW after a few swings on the range. The bigger issue is the loss of distance. If you can control a longer shaft, stick with it

Reaction to different swing weights is entirely dependent on the golfer.

Different golfers will react differently to changes and swing weight and there isn't really a correlation in terms of what happens.  Same thing goes for shaft length, flex, weight and bend point.   All of these things effect what a golfer feels during the swing and they might alter their swing base on those feels.

There are no absolutes, and that is why fitting is so important.

16 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Different golfers will react differently to changes and swing weight and there isn't really a correlation in terms of what happens.  Same thing goes for shaft length, flex, weight and bend point.   All of these things effect what a golfer feels during the swing and they might alter their swing base on those feels.

Absolutely, but as a 13HDCP player, I am not sure you are tuned in to that stuff as much as a 4....but you are definitely correct.

Golf is cool

1 minute ago, Tsecor said:

Absolutely, but as a 13HDCP player, I am not sure you are tuned in to that stuff as much as a 4....but you are definitely correct.

I think you'd be surprised.  Handicap or skill level really doesn't have bearing on how one reacts to changes in club dynamics.  In fact, I'd argue that the more skilled player can adjust and adapt faster to those changes, while the less skilled player cannot and is more reliant on having something that they are comfortable swinging and that feels natural.

12 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I think you'd be surprised.  Handicap or skill level really doesn't have bearing on how one reacts to changes in club dynamics.  In fact, I'd argue that the more skilled player can adjust and adapt faster to those changes, while the less skilled player cannot and is more reliant on having something that they are comfortable swinging and that feels natural.

I see your point. I'm a 10 for the most part and ive changed some shafts and shortened a shaft here and there. Once I was on the range for 10 minutes I was used to the new set up. The biggest change for me was performance on the course. Gaining a bit of accuracy with the shorter set up resulted in 20 yards of lost distance....hitting a 6 iron into a green instead of my 8 iron resulted in lost strokes. I went back to my 45.5 shaft and worked on my swing and hitting it straighter.  Its always a give and take

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Absolutely - in fact its possible that a person may hit a driver with a 43.5 inch shaft longer than he does the one with the 45 because he squares it up better.  Unlikely but there is going to be someone out there who does.

I know that MGS sees this in its most wanted testing all the time - there will be a driver that stands out in its most wanted testing as "the best."  There will be on that stands out as "the worst."  There will be a tester who can't hit "the best" worth a lick and who kills "the worst" long and straight.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There will be a tester who can't hit "the best" worth a lick and who kills "the worst" long and straight.

Are you talking about me?

Players see clubs differently and how they setup does influence how you hit the club. I have had to completely change my setup to hit a few clubs.

I am one of those individuals that cannot perceive the changes in club configuration. The results may change but I don’t “feel” subtle swingweight or length changes.

The theoretical advantage gained from the shortened shaft is more center contact resulting in more distance. For some individuals longer shafts will hav the same effect. First path to more distance is hit the center of the face.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I personally like to have my driver at 45" and choke up when I need a more accurate shot. That leaves me the option grip it at 45" when I have and wide open fairway and want to hit a bomb (that may be a bit offline (okay, a lot))..... Now that I think about it, I should probably get mine cut down as well, so I'm not tempted to play it at 45 inches. Forget everything I said before this! 🙂

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

... Just remember that every 1/4" you miss the center of your driver you lose approximately 5-7yds. So a typical 1" miss toward the toe is losing 20-28yds. Hitting the center at 43.5-44"" will produce a longer drive than 45" or longer and missing the center by more than 1/2". Personally I hit 44" longer than any other length as well as best combination of accuracy and distance. Most golfers, but certainly not all, lose more distance with 45-45.5" drivers than they realize in a typical round. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 2 months later...

I have reduced the length of my g400 to 44".  It has resulted in a 5-10 yard reduction in distance, slightly lower ball flight and 1 additional fairway hit per 18 holes over the last 6 months.  I keep very detailed statistics on driving and putting.  Now I have gone the other direction and replaced the shortened shaft with a 47 1/2 inch shaft.  Results are still out, but it appears that distance has increased 12-20 yards and fairways hit have remained the same..so far.  The big difference is that I am hitting 9 irons instead of 7 irons..resulting in more greens in regulation and a small increase in birdies.  I have been surprised that the number of fairways hit have remained constant..surprised but pleased because it has made a big difference in the number of greens in regulation.  Time will tell on this experiment.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

• 3 weeks later...

I would make the argument, sitting here at the desk, having not seen anyone else hit a ball...

The loss in swingweight will have a minimal impact on how well you hit your driver. How long it is will have a much bigger impact. In my opinion, clubs, especially drivers, are longer than most of the general public can hit well and control. I'm in my early 40s, have been playing since I was a teen, and I still play my driver 44". If I buy a branded driver (not a component), the first thing I do is peel the grip off, trim it back to 44", regrip and go. Have a hit a 45" driver? Yes. Farther? For sure. But I was so much more inconsistent with my ball-striking, it wasn't worth it. I was missing more fairways by wider margins. The longer driver made the game harder, not easier. By the 2nd tee, I didn't care that it felt different than my 44" driver. What I cared about was how wide my misses were, and how frequently I didn't hit it well. My 44" driver still goes over 270, that's good enough for me. Me and my F7+ are perfectly happy together at 44".

I’m a 44.5 man and love it that way! I’m 6’ 2” and can’t hit a 45+ driver worth a .

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I have played with a 44" and a 44.5" and the differences are radical for me. I recently went BACK to the 45" and I'm hitting the ball much further than the other 2 combos. I did gain some accuracy when i dropped shaft length, but the distance loss was noticeable.

Golf is cool

40 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I have played with a 44" and a 44.5" and the differences are radical for me. I recently went BACK to the 45" and I'm hitting the ball much further than the other 2 combos. I did gain some accuracy when i dropped shaft length, but the distance loss was noticeable.

... While I certainly do not doubt your personal experience, you are much more of an anomaly. Two really good video's where shorter drivers were actually longer. 

14 minutes ago, chisag said:

... While I certainly do not doubt your personal experience, you are much more of an anomaly. Two really good video's where shorter drivers were actually longer. 

Anomaly? nah. The average off the shelf driver is 45.5" to maximize distance. Shorter drivers are more for control. Even PGA tour pros talk about that. I went to a shorter shaft for that very reason, but went back to the 45" after i worked on my swing a bit more.   The bottom line is its all about maximizing driver head speed for distance and that can be achieved many ways.

That's the reason why people are fitted. Some can get max distance with a 43.5" shaft like Tiger used to use, others cant.  I could post 50 videos which show longer shafts = more distance but that's not the point.  Its all about what works for you. There is no standard son the use of the term "anomaly' doesn't really fit here.  

Golf is cool

... Those of us that have taught golf, fitted golfers or designed drivers (Tom Wishon) pretty much universally agree that a shaft shorter than 45" results in consistently longer drives. Accuracy is just an added benefit. First, most golfers hit the center more often with a 44.5" shaft or shorter, maximizing distance. 2nd, many actually swing a shorter driver faster as 45" and longer is unwieldy. And lastly spin numbers for most golfers are more ideal with a shorter shaft. I am not sure you watched the video's I posted. 

... I was amazed that ALL the engineers from Cobra played a shorter driver because they hit it farther, hence the Cobra Tour Length option. Again, I am not calling you out and you obviously hit a longer driver farther, but 20 more yards means there are other things at play other than physics because an extra 1/2" when hit perfectly does not add 20 yds. In the end the only thing that matters is what works best for any given player and I agree getting fit is the best way to find out. 

@chisag:  So, what's the physical change to a driver if you simply cut 1" off the butt end on an existing driver?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

9 minutes ago, CarlH said:

@chisag:  So, what's the physical change to a driver if you simply cut 1" off the butt end on an existing driver?

... Depending on what kind of shaft you are playing, change will be minimal other than losing swing weight and stiffening the shaft a little. For some that will be unnoticeable and for other it will be a big change. Cobra's Tour Length adds heavier weights so the shorter shaft maintains the same swing weight. Adding weight can also brings the shaft back to it's original flex as the heavier head offsets the stiffening of he shorter length. 

... I always think it is best to choke down 1" on the grip of your current driver to see how the shorter shaft works for you. If it feels great and produces excellent results you can just cut and re-grip. But most will need to start adding lead tape to get back the feel and flex. So add a little tape and hit several balls and see how it works. Then just keep adding tape until it feels right and gives you the performance and feel you want. Sometimes it is that last strip of lead tape were you say to yourself "OK, that's too much" so just remove and you have your driver. I will add doing this at the range is a good start, but fine tuning should take place on the course, preferably a practice round where you can hit a few drives off each tee. Most of us know it is one thing to groove your driver swing hitting many shots in a row at the range compared to only one swing on the tee in a round, hence the fine tuning on the course.  

I have played drivers with lengths varying from 43.5-45.5” over the last few years. What I have found is one length for a player isn’t necessarily the right length for every driver head/shaft combo they may play.

For example, just because you hit your current driver well at 44” doesn’t mean your next one will be a good fit at that length. The correct length for every driver you play should be the one that allows you to hit the center of the face the most often. Not the one that you hit the furthest or even necessarily the one you hit the straightest, although the second one is important. If you can’t hit the center consistently you are losing yards and accuracy.

On another note, playing a shorter length(when necessary) and adding weight back to the head(in the correct place), will usually add distance through ball speed because of more center face contact and more mass hitting the ball. A lot of people forget that they can help negate some the loss of ball speed going shorter by adding mass back to the head of the club

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Those of us that have taught golf, fitted golfers or designed drivers (Tom Wishon) pretty much universally agree that a shaft shorter than 45" results in consistently longer drives. Accuracy is just an added benefit. First, most golfers hit the center more often with a 44.5" shaft or shorter, maximizing distance. 2nd, many actually swing a shorter driver faster as 45" and longer is unwieldy. And lastly spin numbers for most golfers are more ideal with a shorter shaft. I am not sure you watched the video's I posted. 

... I was amazed that ALL the engineers from Cobra played a shorter driver because they hit it farther, hence the Cobra Tour Length option. Again, I am not calling you out and you obviously hit a longer driver farther, but 20 more yards means there are other things at play other than physics because an extra 1/2" when hit perfectly does not add 20 yds. In the end the only thing that matters is what works best for any given player and I agree getting fit is the best way to find out. 

ive seen those videos before and of course there are other things at work..as stated....worked on my swing was the #1 issue.  Im not saying i disagree with your view. I also stated i played a 44" as well, so that is a full inch.  I'm sure you are a great teacher and fitter, And i don't think you are calling me out, its just a discussion. I'm not offended or anything, I'm just saying your opinion is one of many on the subject.  but like i said, there are 50 videos out there that show the opposite.  The shorter shaft didn't work for me and there are 1000's of people out there who can say the same.   Here is just one article talking about golf shaft length and what their testing showed. This isn't an absolute either, its just shown because their testing was the opposite of what you posted. 

https://progolfnow.com/2019/05/02/golf-tips-driver-length-accuracy/

Golf is cool

... Fwiw, I have never thought or stated a shorter shaft is better for 100% of those that play golf. Just the majority. I just haven't seen the video's claiming average golfers hit longer shafts farther. Robots? Absolutely as of course a longer shaft will produce more distance than a shorter shaft with all things being equal. It is the all things being equal that puts the fly in the ointment. But I think the article you linked said it well  "In fact, a shorter shaft should help you find the sweet spot more often and may even add distance. Who thought the simplest of golf tips could make such a difference."

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Fwiw, I have never thought or stated a shorter shaft is better for 100% of those that play golf. Just the majority. I just haven't seen the video's claiming average golfers hit longer shafts farther. Robots? Absolutely as of course a longer shaft will produce more distance than a shorter shaft with all things being equal. It is the all things being equal that puts the fly in the ointment. But I think the article you linked said it well  "In fact, a shorter shaft should help you find the sweet spot more often and may even add distance. Who thought the simplest of golf tips could make such a difference."

yea, that stuff makes sense. The article also spoke to faster clubhead speed which can be achieved multiple ways. Nothing is an exact science I guess 

Golf is cool

• 1 year later...

I cut my driver down to 43.5 sim max I’m hitting more fairways and changed the grip to offset weight put a 9 gram shaft pin in plus switch the weight out 28 grams instead of 18 to offset best decision I made actually gained distance because of strike location and accuracy drove a par 4 green yesterday 300 before that I was 250 guy all my drives over 265 270 range and before I didn’t add the extra weight to offset def made a difference I couldn’t hit past 230