Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Titleist - The Story Behind the White Coats

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

If you read my posts on the blog from the PGA show, you might have caught this little snippit I wrote about the Titleist booth:

While I can't say I was a huge fan of the dress code (reps all dressed in white suite jackets), the booth was exactly what I would have expected from Titleist. In direct contrast to the audacious TaylorMade exhibit, Titleist played true to its reputation. Regardless of whether you support their approach to the business of golf, everything they did served to cement what most golfers believe about the Titleist brand. They had perhaps the classiest booth at the show, which is lock step inline with the company's conservative, no nonsense reputation –
even if the guys working the show sorta looked like the waitstaff at Morton's

I hope the guys at TItleist understand that my remarks (specifically those referencing Morton's) were all meant in good fun, but one of our contacts over at Titleist was kind enough to share with us a bit of the history behind the white coats:

For more than 50 years the Titleist White Coat has been the symbol of this organization's commitment to Leadership. In the early days, when touring professionals traveled around the country to compete in tournaments, they were told to look for the local market Titleist Representative who could easily be distinguished by the White Coat he or she wore. Since none of the participants were paid to play equipment at the time, they were given chits by the Titleist Representative to exchange for golf balls in the pro shop where the event was being played. Top players knew that finding the Titleist Rep would ultimately lead them to the best and most consistent golf balls available in any given era.

Times have changed and we don't wear the White Coat as often as we once did, however its meaning and symbolism remains and continues to grow along with our dedication to the ideals of Titleist Leadership.

It's really hard to imagine in today's world a time when golfers weren't paid to play clubs, but nevertheless, I think the history behind the coat is definitely worth sharing.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I'd be mad if they gave me the chits, especially if I had a competitive round to play. I'd imagine porta-potties were few and far between back then. Could you imagine holding onto one of those chits from the second hole until the turn? Talk about bubble guts.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I recall my 2nd pga show back in 95 (ish) that was the first year they brought back the white coats to the show. we all thought it gave the impression that they were techies, lab rats, smarter-than-thou please tell us about the allmighty new products you have. it worked, it had a huge buzz at the show, it gave a great uniform look and brought class to the booth. who wouldve thunk it that dressing everyone up in a simple sterile white lab coat would imply so much. i think it was, and still is, great marketing from the titleist folks.

im still surprised to see booths, esp larger ones, that dont have uniform clothing in order to for us visiting the booth to spot who the hell to talk to.

:cobra-small: Staffer 

:Arccos: Staffer 

www.MANAVIANGolf.com

Archived