Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Earlier on you mentioned a push / block.  Why not take a look at if you’re sliding laterally during your downswing.  

Good luck working the problem.

Put some reading and testing into this. John Daly and Freddie Couples shifted 19” laterally.... 19”!

I probably move 6-8” before the turn. I’m going to leave this alone for now, mostly because I am not flexible and if I restrict my lower body I’ll probably end up like Jason Day and not be able to walk.

Put some reading and testing into this. John Daly and Freddie Couples shifted 19” laterally.... 19”!

I probably move 6-8” before the turn. I’m going to leave this alone for now, mostly because I am not flexible and if I restrict my lower body I’ll probably end up like Jason Day and not be able to walk.

I believe it!! You want to talk about two of the best swings that were true feel players.

I think to some extent we all do it, I just remember my bad swings that were hard pushes were almost always attributed to a slide.

And I used to swing with a super narrow stance.

If I tried to swing like Jason Day I’d be hauled away in a body bag
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I believe it!! You want to talk about two of the best swings that were true feel players.

I think to some extent we all do it, I just remember my bad swings that were hard pushes were almost always attributed to a slide.

And I used to swing with a super narrow stance.

If I tried to swing like Jason Day I’d be hauled away in a body bag

For sure. When I catch an undesirable that goes right I definitely just slide with a super late turn. Too much is never good. Unless your JD or FC.

19”... I’m going to try and find some face on swings and see if it’s a total of 19” or 19” towards target.

25 minutes ago, Shankster said:

For sure. When I catch an undesirable that goes right I definitely just slide with a super late turn. Too much is never good. Unless your JD or FC.

19”... I’m going to try and find some face on swings and see if it’s a total of 19” or 19” towards target.

For a low stinger I could imagine 19” but yikes...hard to imagine...

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I'm really appreciating this thread. My irons were super sharp today, and the driver seems to be coming around. Added some good distance too. Thanks Shanks for posting this, seems to be helping. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'm really appreciating this thread. My irons were super sharp today, and the driver seems to be coming around. Added some good distance too. Thanks Shanks for posting this, seems to be helping. 

Glad I could be of assistance.

I’ve been too dang busy to give anything a try. Hoping to get out sometime this week....

Leaving 70°+ weather and heading back to 40’s... not too excited about that. Still trying to figure out why anyone would want to live where I do. Might be one of those unanswered questions.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, Shankster said:

I read the same thing from Golf Digest link below but when I look at Freds swing, it doesn't look like 19 inches. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/couples

To me, that move makes Fred the athlete/golfer," says instructor Jim McLean, who after measuring more than 200 PGA Tour pros found that Couples and John Daly moved the left hip the greatest distance forward on the downswing: 19 inches -- a full six inches farther than the tour average.

Got to be careful here , because the actual 'lateral movement'  is just a reaction to keeping your rear hip stationary in space at the end of the backswing. So the lateral movement actually happens in the backswing.

Here is Shawn Clement explaining what I've just said above (he calls it the  'Hogan Power Move').

PS.  Whatever 'net ' lateral movement happens before impact , just ensure that you don't start your downswing by moving weight pressure immediately onto your lead leg/hip.  I mean how can you stabilise the rear hip/leg in space if you've immediately moved the weight pressure off it? Imho, just keep the weight pressure on your rear hip/leg momentarily until a little later in the downswing before doing any weight pressure transfer to the lead leg. But  I'm afraid it all has to be done subconsciously, so you need to ingrain it somehow by drills , etc.

Edited by Wildthing

33 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I think I’ve figured it out. It was the release. Just a few shots in the yard, heading to the range this week a few times. Hopefully I can stop holding on too long.

The release like lag occurs naturally when sequencing is good

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Unless you’re like me and force it not to happen... emoji23.png

Why would I do that? emoji848.png

That is a lot of us amateurs. We diagnosis and try to fix the symptoms instead of finding the cause and fixing that. We get it fixed for a bit but since it’s a band aid it comes off and we struggle again. That’s been the story of my golf life and why I’ve bounced between instructors, gone back to some of the same ones multiple times. I think I found one that thinks/teaches in the same manner I think and learn. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 4/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, Kenny B said:

If you do have too much lag, could you send some of it to me... please!

Yeah, no kidding, I'll take whatever's leftover.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Good morning your honor,

My preliminary findings lead to my take away. I investigated thoroughly and found the square takeaway, but fanning the club Open was leading to other movements to correct the open face.

The key is to keep the back of my lead hand pointed at the target for as long as possible in the take away. Had a few squirrelly ones but overall the super duper height draw was back.

My 3 wood is back, I love the mini driver, but I am going to have to test this because they looked to be carrying the same, into the wind at about 260. 3 Wood is just on a higher trajectory. And I need to do a bag gapping session. The 2 hybrid was getting out there too.

I am sure some of my irons have gotten weaker over the past few years. And my divot pattern looks to be a little toe down heavy, not much but just enough to notice, but only on the mid and short irons. The 3 and 5 iron were fine.

Keeping my takeaway low and slow and that left hand pointed at the target gets me on a very neutral plane, and keeps my left wrist from cupping at the top. I ran into this issue a few years ago, and this worked wonders.

My short game technique will have to change to keep from getting too wristy. But I’d rather be accurate from the tee and fairway first. It won’t have to be a big change, but I’ll be adding more Jason Day and Jason Dufner style wedge shots with the dead hands.

I fully expect to be back in the 70’s before too long. Just have to watch the grip, takeaway, and alignment.

In closing... it’s your honor, your honor.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Good morning your honor,

My preliminary findings lead to my take away. I investigated thoroughly and found the square takeaway, but fanning the club Open was leading to other movements to correct the open face.

The key is to keep the back of my lead hand pointed at the target for as long as possible in the take away. Had a few squirrelly ones but overall the super duper height draw was back.

My 3 wood is back, I love the mini driver, but I am going to have to test this because they looked to be carrying the same, into the wind at about 260. 3 Wood is just on a higher trajectory. And I need to do a bag gapping session. The 2 hybrid was getting out there too.

I am sure some of my irons have gotten weaker over the past few years. And my divot pattern looks to be a little toe down heavy, not much but just enough to notice, but only on the mid and short irons. The 3 and 5 iron were fine.

Keeping my takeaway low and slow and that left hand pointed at the target gets me on a very neutral plane, and keeps my left wrist from cupping at the top. I ran into this issue a few years ago, and this worked wonders.

My short game technique will have to change to keep from getting too wristy. But I’d rather be accurate from the tee and fairway first. It won’t have to be a big change, but I’ll be adding more Jason Day and Jason Dufner style wedge shots with the dead hands.

I fully expect to be back in the 70’s before too long. Just have to watch the grip, takeaway, and alignment.

Glad you figured it out shanks, I've been slowing my swing down a lot to increase consistency and keeping that left hand "square" has helped me a ton as well, especially with my driver. 87% of fairways last time out. Keep us posted on how the next round goes! 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Glad you figured it out shanks, I've been slowing my swing down a lot to increase consistency and keeping that left hand "square" has helped me a ton as well, especially with my driver. 87% of fairways last time out. Keep us posted on how the next round goes! 

Right. I hear you. Trying to kill the ball is never a good idea. More accurate and longer with what feels like a 3/4 swing, but on the proper plane, proper alignment and what not.

It almost feels like I’m swinging at around 60% effort, and getting more distance then when I was struggling the first round out at 110%.

Just have to remember all that stuff...

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Right. I hear you. Trying to kill the ball is never a good idea. More accurate and longer with what feels like a 3/4 swing, but on the proper plane, proper alignment and what not.

It almost feels like I’m swinging at around 60% effort, and getting more distance then when I was struggling the first round out at 110%.

Just have to remember all that stuff... emoji849.png

Agreed. Trying to smash the ball just results in fairway craters. The problem I have now is taking too much off and hitting low weak shots. At least they stay in bounds I guess... 😅

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

22 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Trying to kill the ball is never a good idea. More accurate and longer with what feels like a 3/4 swing, but on the proper plane, proper alignment and what not.

Just have to remember all that stuff... emoji849.png

... It is an insidious game. I succumbed to a little distance dilemma in Phoenix. Higher elevation combined with hot weather and the ball was just flying off my clubs, especially my irons. So after hitting several shots just over the green I started believing I could hit every shot 1.5 clubs longer. Most of the time it worked fine, but every now and then my brain said "If you think you can hit your 7 iron to this back pin at 180yds good luck. You are gonna have to really step on it". I found myself pin high quite a bit, but pulled left too many times because I was over swinging. And sometimes pulled left and long!  So I went back to figuring about about 10 yds less per club and my iron game came back around because I was swinging in tempo again. Yes, I was long occasionally but also short occasionally too. So basically back to normal and playing 1 club longer than at home, not 1.5 longer. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

Good morning your honor,

Do you think there is any correlation between this swing fix and your dislike of the Hi-Toe?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Do you think there is any correlation between this swing fix and your dislike of the Hi-Toe?

No. I just don’t like the feel and look of the wedge after practicing more with it. It’s a good stick for sure. Just not for me after all.

Swing fix is more like just remembering what I am supposed to do.

Went to the range after my big test today.

I can confirm that I am back on a good track. Still have the odd block every once and a while, but for the most part I’m getting things to work back to the left.

Next session I will focus on not crossing the target line. Once I get the draw working I’m going to play a round only hitting them.

Then gently work the fade back in...

Had my best driving round ever after pouring through this thread yesterday. Apparently some of you guys know what you're talking about 😝 

I have some sequencing trouble that often causes a banana slice when I'm tired and reverting to old habits. Was swinging nicely on plane yesterday and getting a nice piercing 300 yd baby fade. I can see myself spending more company time on these forums for sure!

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9° - Smoke Black 70 X 

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3wd 14° - Tensei Blue 60 S

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° - PX 105g 6.5

Mizuno JPX919 Tour 4-P - KBS Tour 130X

Callaway MD4 56°- DG S200 

Callaway MD4 52° - DG S200

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 

PING Vault 2.0 Anser(copper finish)

Volvik S4

Had my best driving round ever after pouring through this thread yesterday. Apparently some of you guys know what you're talking about  
I have some sequencing trouble that often causes a banana slice when I'm tired and reverting to old habits. Was swinging nicely on plane yesterday and getting a nice piercing 300 yd baby fade. I can see myself spending more company time on these forums for sure!

Stick around. Glad to have you. Not sure if I fall into the “know what I am talking about” category, but there are some fine people on here that know a lot about this wonderful game.

14 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Stick around. Glad to have you. Not sure if I fall into the “know what I am talking about” category, but there are some fine people on here that know a lot about this wonderful game.

Well your comment on keeping the back of the hand facing down the target line was a good reminder of the Y-L drill my coach had me working on. That's a +1 in my book!

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9° - Smoke Black 70 X 

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3wd 14° - Tensei Blue 60 S

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° - PX 105g 6.5

Mizuno JPX919 Tour 4-P - KBS Tour 130X

Callaway MD4 56°- DG S200 

Callaway MD4 52° - DG S200

Taylormade Hi-Toe 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 

PING Vault 2.0 Anser(copper finish)

Volvik S4

Good morning -

After my abysmal round yesterday and the terrible range session afterwards I started to see what could be the fault.

I have an in to out swing generally... or probably more like an in to square to In probably.

So if we hold onto the lag it will keep the clubface open right? That’s if we don’t turn fast enough to get that sucker back to square.

I was blocking them or a healthy push slice.

Going to the range today after work to try and “let it go”... the lag that is.

Yep. I’ll get a lesson when I can and have the time and all that.

I was there for a long time. The harder I went at it, the more lag and longer the face stayed open.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1