TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway great big bertha HOOK MONSTER

walker.1771

I recently bought an unused great big bertha driver largely for the shaft in it (ust elements gold) but found it hooks like crazy. I have always been a draw-er of the driver but not to this degree. Anyone else have this problem with this driver and how to remedy it 

Driver - great big bertha (elements gold 7f5)

3wood - rogue (hzrdus yellow 75)

2hybrid - vapor flex (kuro kage 85)

Irons - i210s (dg 120)

Wedges - Sm4 52/58/64 (stock shaft)

Putter - Scottsdale Tr (flat cat grip)

The standard configuration on GBB is draw bias -- I don't know if the face is actually closed, but the starting point of the weight is already in a draw position. Assuming you've already moved the weight all the way to fade bias (which is actually somewhat neutral), I can think of a few "cheaper" options, but obviously can't guarantee they'll fit your swing (they all change club weight or lie, which might help in one way but hurt in another): 

• Lead tape toward the toe of the driver. Try maybe 10g. ($10 or less for a roll)
  • Heavier slide weight, pushed all the way to fade. I've seen up to 12g, but don't know what the stock weight is, so this might not be relevant (~$25)
  • Try swapping out the adapter for the "Tour Flat" model to flatten lie angle by ~0.75*, which naturally pushes the ball a little right. Of course, if you are fitted into standard or upright clubs, don't flatten... (~$40-50 plus installation)

If you're confident the shaft is right for you and it's the head causing more draw/hook, you could also find a "somewhat inexpensive" way to swap out the head. I've done this a couple times in the past now that most Callaway drivers all share an adapter and I use a custom shaft: check used club websites (Callaway Golf Pre-Owned, 2ndSwing, Global Golf, etc.), find the heads/conditions that work for you (ignoring shaft at first), then of those, pick the shaft that you think is most desirable to others. When it shows up, swap out the shafts and sell the old head / new shaft combo (keeping your Elements shaft). Based on age, you might be able to get a decent 816DD and recover most or all of the money by selling the GBB -- the 816 requires a stronger swing, but I don't think it will draw as much. That's probably also true of clubs like the XR16 Pro or Sub Zero. If you go this route, I'd recommend against the Fusion - I think you'll see draw/hook with that one as well. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

2 hours ago, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

The standard configuration on GBB is draw bias -- I don't know if the face is actually closed, but the starting point of the weight is already in a draw position. Assuming you've already moved the weight all the way to fade bias (which is actually somewhat neutral), I can think of a few "cheaper" options, but obviously can't guarantee they'll fit your swing (they all change club weight or lie, which might help in one way but hurt in another): 

• Lead tape toward the toe of the driver. Try maybe 10g. ($10 or less for a roll)
  • Heavier slide weight, pushed all the way to fade. I've seen up to 12g, but don't know what the stock weight is, so this might not be relevant (~$25)
  • Try swapping out the adapter for the "Tour Flat" model to flatten lie angle by ~0.75*, which naturally pushes the ball a little right. Of course, if you are fitted into standard or upright clubs, don't flatten... (~$40-50 plus installation)

If you're confident the shaft is right for you and it's the head causing more draw/hook, you could also find a "somewhat inexpensive" way to swap out the head. I've done this a couple times in the past now that most Callaway drivers all share an adapter and I use a custom shaft: check used club websites (Callaway Golf Pre-Owned, 2ndSwing, Global Golf, etc.), find the heads/conditions that work for you (ignoring shaft at first), then of those, pick the shaft that you think is most desirable to others. When it shows up, swap out the shafts and sell the old head / new shaft combo (keeping your Elements shaft). Based on age, you might be able to get a decent 816DD and recover most or all of the money by selling the GBB -- the 816 requires a stronger swing, but I don't think it will draw as much. That's probably also true of clubs like the XR16 Pro or Sub Zero. If you go this route, I'd recommend against the Fusion - I think you'll see draw/hook with that one as well. 

Thanks definitely will try

Never had hooking problems with that driver. The adjustable weight really does work on that model (and other Callaways also), slide that over to fade and make sure the loft isn't set to one of the D positions. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Or... just open the face and regrip and rip. Do that at the range until you figure it out. Then grip it there from now on. You could even go so fare as putting a piece of painters tape on the club right below the grip and make a mark at the point that’s straight up when you find it, then put a new grip, or adjust the current one.

its usually the Indian,  not the arrow...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 1 month later...

Try finding a left handed adapter- the upright setting should flatten it (it's reversed)- not sure what this does for loft settings.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Try finding a left handed adapter- the upright setting should flatten it (it's reversed)- not sure what this does for loft settings.

I do not believe this is case with this adapter. The upright setting should be be upright. The loft setting should be the only thing reversed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Ok I stand corrected- thanks for the heads up!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter