TESTERS WANTED! ×

“Mashed Potatoes”

Shankster

I don’t think it’s is a bad look to get “fans” kicked out.

Golf isn’t boxing, or baseball, or football, or soccer, and definitely isn’t nascar.

If I paid the price of a ticket to get into one of these events and I had to listen to that crap for the entire day I’d be a little miffed.

Same goes for when I go pay for a movie and people won’t shut the heck up or have their cell phones on super bright with the text clicks up all the way.

Or when people act like they don’t see you while waiting in a line and just cut in front of you.

Be considerate of the people around you. Life doesn’t revolve around being a jack wagon.

18 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Fan behavior is exactly why I can't take my children to a sporting event.  Fans pay for tickets but they aren't entitled to act any sort of way they choose.  The key word being "entitled!"  I applaud and fully support players taking steps to remove this behavior from the game of golf!

My grandfather was a voracious reader!  Much of what he passed down to his grandchildren can be found in various texts.

Lumping a guy who yells mashed potatoes in with someone who is cursing or using inappropriate language (my assumption is this is what you are referring to in regards to not being able to take your kids to events) at an event kinda plays right to my point. There is a difference between someone just being an idiot and someone cursing or being downright disgusting IMO.  We go try to go to a Dodger game once a year and there is almost always something heard that I would rather not have around my kids. 

Passing down great information or quotes from texts is awesome. I am a reader too and the knowledge of some authors that stands the test of time is amazing. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I don’t think it’s is a bad look to get “fans” kicked out.

Golf isn’t boxing, or baseball, or football, or soccer, and definitely isn’t nascar.

If I paid the price of a ticket to get into one of these events and I had to listen to that crap for the entire day I’d be a little miffed.

Same goes for when I go pay for a movie and people won’t shut the heck up or have their cell phones on super bright with the text clicks up all the way.

Or when people act like they don’t see you while waiting in a line and just cut in front of you.

Be considerate of the people around you. Life doesn’t revolve around being a jack wagon.

I think that if fans cross a line they should be punished. Rooting against someone does not cross that line. It would be amazing if all people were actually considerate of others the whole world would change. 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

I think that if fans cross a line they should be punished. Rooting against someone does not cross that line. It would be amazing if all people were actually considerate of others the whole world would change. 

Yeah. I agree to some point, I root against Patrick Reed every week he plays. But I’m not screaming at him.... (except the 2018 Masters when I wanted him to hit it in the water. ) but again I would never scream it out at the tournament where he could hear me.

Kids are like sponges. If we continue to “let these guys slide” it will just be engrained that it is ok to do.

I think if they say something or scream something that the pro (like Jordan in the video I put up) actually notices, then that line has been crossed.

If it’s a get in the hole like the crazies do on par 5 tee shots... that will be hard to get rid of, but direct “get in the waters” or whatever are probably pretty distracting.

9 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Lumping a guy who yells mashed potatoes in with someone who is cursing or using inappropriate language (my assumption is this is what you are referring to in regards to not being able to take your kids to events) at an event kinda plays right to my point. There is a difference between someone just being an idiot and someone cursing or being downright disgusting IMO.  We go try to go to a Dodger game once a year and there is almost always something heard that I would rather not have around my kids. 

Passing down great information or quotes from texts is awesome. I am a reader too and the knowledge of some authors that stands the test of time is amazing. 

7 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Language was the least of my concerns after taking my kids to a college football game while their mother was on the field with the alumni marching band.  They got to witness two idiots loaded onto backboards with neck and spinal injuries after falling from the second deck to the platform below fighting over a sweat-shirt. 

Google the number of assaults and DUI's related to Waste(d) Management as well as other PGA Tour events ever year.  It may have become common practice but it certainly shouldn't be tolerated.  Desensitizing the issue doesn't make it any less of an issue!  And we should hold golf to a much higher standard.  

"In golf, customs of etiquette and decorum are just as important as rules governing play.  It is appropriate for spectators to applaud successful strokes in proportion to difficulty but excessive demonstrations by a player or his partisans are not proper because of the possible effect upon other competitors.

Most distressing to those who love the game of golf is the applauding or cheering of misplays or misfortunes of a player.  Such occurrences have been rare at the Masters but we must eliminate them entirely if our patrons are to continue to merit their reputation as the most knowledgeable and considerate in the world."  ~Bobby Jones - April 1967~

Maybe I'm getting old, maybe it's my military background or maybe it was the way I was raised.  Behaving like an ass in public should never be celebrated and certainly should never be tolerated!

I feel like we could go back and forth forever. As I said in the beginning I don't agree with the behavior. I was just being a punk and presenting a different side. 😃

Thanks for the convo @sixcat and @Shankster

I think one of the greatest things about this forum is we can have a conversation from different view points and act like adults. That is becoming so rare these days. 

I've said it previously in other threads on this topic, but personally I will never ever never pay to enter a PGA Tour event.

Specifically due to aforementioned (persons).

That Bobby Jones quote is gold.

Agree with Shankster - golf is not soccer, not football nor basketball, oh not soccer, and definitely not NASCAR. 

But until the PGA Tour and the USGA and the venues where the tourneys are held all decide to change into not-for-profits (yep: when hell freezes over) .. until then.. "It's all about the Benjamins, baby!"

Ticket $ale$, food and beverage $ale$, souvenir shop / merchandising $ale$, etc etc etc. All on top of broadcasting $ale$, redistribution rights $ale$, sponsor fee$, etc etc etc. It's a *BIG* money business and quite clearly individual ticket sales are an important cog in that ever-churning corporate wheel.....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

11 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

That Bobby Jones quote is gold.

That quote is printed on every Masters practice round ticket, tournament badge, tee-sheet and program both for the Masters and the ANWA.  I have a Saturday tournament badge, program and tee-sheet from the ANWA in a display case in my office.  I copied the quote word for word.