Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Grip Size

So I have standard grips on all my clubs but I have a hand that measures 7.5 and 3.25 longest finger I am right on the edge of standard and midsize. I have a tendency to pull my shots recently and am wondering if grip size could contribute to it. I am playing Cobra Forged Tec One length and see that Bryson plays jumbo grips. Has anyone tried jumbo grips what are your thoughts on it? I love my one length irons....

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

There's been several discussions on grip size and there's a study or report or something that says/proves that there's no correlation between grip size and ball flight.

Maybe get one of your irons re-gripped, or do it yourself with an air compressor, with the grip you want to try and see what happens.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Cool I think I did watch something on TXG

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

3 hours ago, MattF said:

There's been several discussions on grip size and there's a study or report or something that says/proves that there's no correlation between grip size and ball flight.

Maybe get one of your irons re-gripped, or do it yourself with an air compressor, with the grip you want to try and see what happens.

MattF is spot on with this comment.  

Sorry I couldn't find the studies to reference, but the up shot was that size had little or no effect on ball flight.  Ping is the company that did the study.  But, the factor that did influence ball flight was grip weight.  Bigger grips tend to weigh more than standard grips.  The extra weight changes the swing characteristics of the club.  Also, Golf magazine did a small study a few years ago that showed most golfers were playing the wrong size grip, but the study didn't control for weight.  So the whole issue is kind of a mess.

I spent a couple of months experimenting with grips a few years ago.  I tried the jumbomax grips and really liked the size, but they weigh two or three times what a regular grip weighs.  I played with them for a year or so on an older set.  When I put them on my single length clubs, it felt like the head disappeared.   I had no feeling for the club head. I heard a pod cast with Bryson's club builder and he said swing weight and changes don't really matter.  Well, they do for me. YMMV.  

Here is what I finally settled on, given that I liked the weight of my standard grips:  I found grips that weighed the same in medium, large and jumbo.  I put one of each on my 3 wedges, 8,7 and 6 iron and then driver, old driver and 3-wood. I practiced with them for a few weeks and found that the jumbo worked best for me.  I put the jumbo grips on all my clubs and have never looked back.  The Winn jumbo grips are not as big around as the Jumbomax grips.  I just grabbed a ruler and measured, and my longest finger is 3 1/2 inches long--if that is relevant.  

Thanks I never considered the grip weight as a factor but that indeed makes a ton of sense. I will look in that direction.

Bryson DeChambeau

• 3 weeks later...

I do recall Winn once advertising that you could gain extra yardage using big a lighter grip. We all know how accurate Ads are. :)

I just use the grip size every fitter has recommended for me - standard, 1 extra wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I visited the Jumbomax website and they have a new product coming out sometime this summer:

http://www.jumbomax.com/jmx-ultralite/

I love the size of the Jumbomax grips--the way they fit my hands--but they weigh too much for my taste.  I'll be trying the new grip when it comes out.  From a description it should be in the 50-60 gram range. 

I put Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G in jumbo grips on all my irons this year.  I have a set of Wilson C200 4-GW.  They came with a standard size tour velvet type grip.  A nice grip but too thin for me and I prefer a wrap style.  I've only played a couple rounds and I really like them especially on the shorter irons and wedges.  With less grip pressure I make much more consistent contact in the short game.  I may go back to a midsize on the 5 & 6 iron.  I will wait until after a few more rounds to make a final decision.  I generally don't carry the 4iron.  My hands measure 8" and 3.5" longest finger. 

Edit:  To clarify, by "less grip pressure" what I mean is that I feel that I am squeezing the grip rather than grabbing and holding on.  Hopefully that makes sense.

Edited by TwoCoatsOfWax

• 5 weeks later...

Play GP Tour Wrap 2G Jumbo +2 for about 2 years. Real help on arthritic hands, less grip pressure, less pain, better play, less shock. Best equipment choice I’ve made in 50 years of playing. Hands measure 8.75 and 4.25

“Golf does not build character, it reveals it”

• Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5* Diamana D+ 60 stiff
  • Fairway: Titleist 913F Diamana D+82 stiff
  • Hybrid: Titleist 913H Diamana D+92 stiff
  • Irons: Titleist AP1 714 Aerotech i95 stiff
  • Wedges: Volkey SM5 50*55*60* True Temper S300
  • Putter: Tour X
  • Ball: Snell MTB

I went from standard to jumbo grips and I havent really noticed any difference.  Pulls and still pulls, slices are still slices.  I do like the way that jumbo grips feel but IMO its really more a matter of personal preference.

I could see it making a difference if you had really big hands but for me, it doesnt seem to really matter.  FWIW, I wear a size large glove.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

10 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

I went from standard to jumbo grips and I havent really noticed any difference.  Pulls and still pulls, slices are still slices.  I do like the way that jumbo grips feel but IMO its really more a matter of personal preference.

I could see it making a difference if you had really big hands but for me, it doesnt seem to really matter.  FWIW, I wear a size large glove.

I started out with standard size grips (I wear an XL glove) and found the club moved around too much. Even though i  tried several installed grips at GG, it took several iterations on my clubs before I ended up with MCC+4 . When I ordered my 410 SFT the Ping fitting tool recommended the Jumbo grip - which ended up feeling too big so I regripped with the MCC+4.. Guess it's all about feel. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 6/23/2019 at 8:52 AM, tony@CIC said:

I started out with standard size grips (I wear an XL glove) and found the club moved around too much. Even though i  tried several installed grips at GG, it took several iterations on my clubs before I ended up with MCC+4 . When I ordered my 410 SFT the Ping fitting tool recommended the Jumbo grip - which ended up feeling too big so I regripped with the MCC+4.. Guess it's all about feel. 

Id agree its mostly about feel.  Ive heard some say that you should be grip size based upon what size glove you wear.  Ive also heard some claim that if you struggle to close the clubface you should get smaller grips and if you fight a hook you should get bigger grips (not sure I agree with that one but whatever).

In the end, I think its all what you like.  I personally like the way that jumbo grips feel but they dont really change my game at all.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Id agree its mostly about feel.  Ive heard some say that you should be grip size based upon what size glove you wear.  Ive also heard some claim that if you struggle to close the clubface you should get smaller grips and if you fight a hook you should get bigger grips (not sure I agree with that one but whatever).
In the end, I think its all what you like.  I personally like the way that jumbo grips feel but they dont really change my game at all.

It’s relative to hand size and finger dexterity. Let’s be real, there are seniors with arthritis who have ladies sized hands that need jumbo grips.

Play what feels right but don’t be afraid to experiment when you notice inconsistencies.

I play a standard sized Lamkin with three wraps of tape. So far. So good.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Agreed on feel. I tend to prefer mid sized grips just because they feel more comfortable and as a result I grip the club a bit more loose. That’s great for me as a slower swinger as it lets the club head get a bit more speed on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game