Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Soft spikes or spikeless?

wipierce

I would really like to give spikeless shoes a try but as often as I have to change spikes on my shoes due to damage I feel like I would be going thru a lot more actual shoes. I walk and carry my bag so I usually only get 5-8 rounds before I have a couple teeth go missing and it's time to change them out. Any thoughts or big fans of spikeless that might give some input?

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

I owned a pair of Adidas Adipower Boost for a few years and never had any problems with them, they were quite comfortable. Puma's spikeless seem to get a lot of praise as well, so you may check them out.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I have worn True Linkswear nearly exclusively except one pair of Ecco’s for the past 7 years and1 pair of spiked Eccos I ordered by accident before I exchanged for the other Ecco’s. I haven’t really had an issue wearing out the sole of the shoe. More wearing the shoes out as I walk 99.5% of the time and put a ton of miles on my shoes. The spiked Ecco’s immediately lost spikes on the first round, were replaced and repeated. They were quickly exchanged for the spikeless and i never had another problem. Well, they hurt my feet, but that was not the sole, but the design. I switched back to True Linkswesr Originals and you would have to kill me to get them off my feet.

I can only wear spikeless shoes or by about hole 14 my feet are killing me. I wear Sketchers wide spikeless shoes now and my feet don't hurt at all. I've never once had an issue with slipping with them even though I hear people say they do in wet conditions. My scores have dropped as well since my feet are a lot more comfortable now.

Driver: TS2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood: 915 F stiff
3 Hybrid: 915 HD
4-PW: 710 AP2
Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Vokey SM6
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1

Spikeless.  Try the Adidas Tour360 XT SL if you like lots of support.  The Puma Ignite PWR Sport are also very good.  They have less support.  Nike FI Bermuda spikeless are like slippers, if you can find them.  These are by far my favorite, but are not for rain / dew.  

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Another vote for Puma's spikeless here. Great value, very comfortable, and they tend to last a while. I've had a pair for 3 years now that still look pretty new. Granted, I don't golf nearly as much as some posters here but that doesn't take away from the value the Pumas offer.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I've owned a few pairs of spikeless shoes at this point. No need to worry about having to replace them in rapid fire based on my experience. The "spikes" on a spikeless shoe are much more durable than a set of soft spikes. I'd just stay away from anything that uses plastic. You'll definitely want to try a few pairs on at a local store if you can though. Traction can vary quite a bit based on design and materials.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I agree with the rest. The shoe itself will wear out before the sole on the spikeless. You'll appreciate the flex and extra comfort of the spikeless and your feet, legs, and back will thank you. I switched about 5 years ago and have never looked back. Adidas is my go to.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 1 month later...
Spikeless.  Try the Adidas Tour360 XT SL if you like lots of support.  The Puma Ignite PWR Sport are also very good.  They have less support.  Nike FI Bermuda spikeless are like slippers, if you can find them.  These are by far my favorite, but are not for rain / dew.  

I’m on the fence between the tour 360 XT/XT-SL and the Puma IGNITE PWRADAPT Leather. Both felt comfortable, but much different style of fit. Would appreciate any insight you would have between these models!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Papa-Bear was Here. 

I used to say that I wanted to only wear some type of actual golf shoe. But starting this spring I decided to try a non-golf shoe and see how things work out. So, I purchased a pair of Sketchers (can't recall the model) shoes which I guess could be considered a comfortable walking-athletic type shoe. I love them! I've had absolutely no problem at all playing golf in them. These have a relatively flat sole and on dray grass they work just fine. Wet grass? Can't say. I've enjoyed these shoes so much I purchased a second pair to keep in reserve. I may never wear "real" golf shoes again.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I like using Spikeless or built in spiked shoes during summer as the grass ins't too moist to keep the grip on the grass. When it's really wet or moist, I go with spiked.  

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

To Benjamin.  I have all 3. The Puma's are most comfortable of the bunch.  The XT's most stable.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I have Skechers (spikeless) and are probably the most comfortable golf shoe I've ever worn. Time for a new pair after two well-used seasons. I've worn Footjoy, Nike and New Balance over the years, but the Skechers are my faves. The spikeless are great when the weather is good and the fairways are dry and grip isn't really an issue. Also keeps me from over swinging and slippage isn't an issue.

When the fairways are a bit softer, or due to inclement weather, I wear my leather Puma spiked shoes for more grip. Or, when I want to get a bit more aggressive with my swing so I don't slip.

~ ward ~

Driver: Callaway B21 9.5 Degrees. Graphite Design XC6 S Flex 43.5" Length. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / 3-Wood: Cobra F7 @ 16 Degrees / Aldila MSI 95 70g 3.3 Stiff. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / Hybrid: Callway BB Alpha 815 @ 20 Degrees / Speeder 865 Shaft / Irons: Srixon z785. Modus NS Pro 120 (Stiff). Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / Wedges: Titleist Vokey - SM5 F Grind 50 degree (-1 degree) 08 Degrees of Bounce (-1 degree), SM5 S Grind 54 degree (-1 degree) 10 Degrees of Bounce, SM5 M Grind 58 degree 08 Degrees of Bounce. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Putter: Odyssey.

Golf Ball: Srixon Z Star.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C130.
Carry Bag: Big Max.

• 1 month later...

I mostly prefer spikeless as many of the designs seem to allow you feel the ground better. I like being closer to the ground in my swing. My go to shoes have been the True Linkswear True Majors since February and I love them. 

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

I have a pair of Sketcher spikeless. Also, Addidas and Foot Joy soft spikes. Comfort wise the Sketchers and foot joy win. Spike or Spikeless, pretty much 6 of 1, half dozen of another. The exception being wet conditions. For me spikes win that battle. With constant grooming of the wet grass in the spikes. My course has the spike brushes attached to the ball washers, so that comes in handy getting the grass out of the spikes.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

Toss me in with everyone else saying spikeless is the way to go. I have the 360 XT/SL (wide). I mostly walk and the only issue I have noticed was the shoe does rub the heal a little bit (mentioned in MyGolfSpy's review) but I got some thicker socks and problem solved. The boost material is the bomb. 

Edited by AlanMP

Driver: Callaway Rouge SZ 9* - Hzrdus Yellow 75 (6.0) - 44.5" 

3 Wood: Ping i15 15.5* - Ping TFC700 (stiff) - Standard length

4 Hybrid: Nickent 7DX 22* - Aldila R.I.P. (stiff) - Standard Length

Irons: Callaway Rouge Pro (CF18) 5 through AW - True Temper XP 105 - .5" short/ 2* up

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54* & 58* - True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 - 2* up

Putter: Odyssey #10 Triple Track

Ball: Bridgestone TourB X

Righty 

Blythewood, SC

12.0 Index

I loved my old True Linkswear which I just reintroduced to my feet...and am striking the ball much more purely...I LOVE the zero transitional drop...anyone know of current shoe models that are designed as such?  

Driver: KIng Cobra F8+, Proj X Hzrds stiff 44-1/2"

FW: Cobra Fly Z+ 3-4 Cobra Matrix VLCT 42 inch

Irons: Wishon Sterling single length, 8 iron length..5-GW .Wishon S2S Stepless Steel, R

Hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics CBX Hybrid 19 and 33 degree ..project X Hzrds 6.0

Wedges: Hogan Equalizer 54/58

Putting 33 inch ODYSSEY 2017 O-WORKS #7

Lamkin Z5s all around for amazing grip and, as it turns out, best durability I've ever seen

Tathata golf student who is 20 yards longer now, at 58, versus my pre-tathata days!

Shot Scope V2 is my latest addition...great data and don't notice it on to be honest.

And...how do I change the equipment data that shows on my posts...obviously archaic data wouldn't you say?

Irons: Wishon Sterling single length, 8 iron length..5-GW .Wishon S2S Stepless Steel, R

Lamkin Z5s all around for amazing grip and, as it turns out, best durability I've ever seen

Tathata golf student who is 20 yards longer now, at 58, versus my pre-tathata days!

Shot Scope V2 is my latest addition...great data and don't notice it on to be honest.

4 hours ago, Brian of Phoenix said:

And...how do I change the equipment data that shows on my posts...obviously archaic data wouldn't you say?

edit your signature:

click your name in the top-right > account settings

on the next page you'll see "signature" and you can edit that

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Thanks yungkory

True Linkswear are awesome. I love mine so much that they are actually my daily shoe. My wife thinks they look great and can’t believe they’re a golf shoe.

If you’re an AM dew sweeper I’d steer away from the Knits and go with the True Majors.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I started with True Linkswear until they got ratty. I then switched to Skechers Go Golf and liked them. They've been retired to mud shoe duty and I now have a pair of last years Most Wanted Puma Fusion's...I love these shoes. Very comfortable and I walk 95% of the time now.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late to the game on this one (found the thread while searching for something related). I've tried quite a few pairs of spikeless shoes over the years with a goal of finding a good cross between golf (traction/stability) and running (comfort/stability) so that I can give Speed Golf a try (although I've yet to try it...). In that testing, I found:

Puma Ignite NXT: I am not a fan, mostly because of traction - they are very comfortable, but I slipped a lot with them, so I don't use them anymore. I think they'd work well in spongy conditions, but I did not think they worked well in dry or slightly wet conditions. I tried both the SoleLace and the Disc with similar results (SoleLace broke, and they replaced them under warranty with a pair of Disc).

Adidas AdiPower S Boost 3: I've also tried two pairs of these for a different reason. This is the closest to what I was originally looking for (run/golf combo) -- traction is very good, they feel stable, and they provide good cushioning. They make for an easy walk, and they seem to support running reasonably well (not quite the same as running shoes). The one problem I had is that one of the two pairs feels odd in the tongue area, leading to some pain on the top of my foot after wearing from a while (it's not a problem on the second pair, so might be a slight inconsistency in manufacturing). Added bonus: you can still find them, and they are cheap considering the 4 is on the market. 

New Balance: This is my new go-to golf shoe brand. The Minimus SL is my top overall pick for walking the golf course. Fit and comfort are at the top for me with good stability and traction (traction is slightly behind Adidas, but really just a different feel). I have had no issues with these shoes to date. Not the best for running, but a great golf shoe -- I decided to pick up a pair of the spiked Minimus and now wear these two models almost exclusively on the course. 

True Linkswear: I agree with most of the prior comments on True Linkswear. I picked up the True x Linksoul knits a while back and now use them more as a casual shoe - they are probably the most comfortable walking shoes I've worn (in general, not just for golf). I've worn them on the course a couple times and they held up OK - lower in stability than the others and not for wet weather, but traction and comfort are both very good. One of the loops on the heel tore off when putting them on one day, but that has nothing to do with shoe function. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

How is the overall wear on SL shoes?  I use the ground for a pretty hard pivot and replace my cleats every 3-4 months.  Do SL wear as fast?  It’s much more economical to spend $15 every few months than a new pair of shoes.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

Whatever you do, don't get the Adidas Climacools or any similar soled shoes.

I'd read reviews that said the nubs wore quickly but that was from walkers. Because I ride, I figured it wouldn't impact me much.

Uh, no... the nubs wore down remarkably fast. I'll still wear them from time to time and haven't experience any slipping. But I'd imagine for a walker, they'd be rendered useless in no time at all.