I have 2 Wilson Designed by Arnold Palmer putters. To the

best of my knowledge no copies were ever made by Wilson after the

original.

My question has to do with a 40th anniversary limited edition made in

Japan with a spelling error on the sole. The word "designed" is

misspelled "designd".

I have been told that this error was done on

purpose to save space! This does not seem correct to me and I would

be curious to know if anyone has any information on the reproduction.

If photos are required then give me an email address and I will

forward same.

Thanks,

Keith

(Toronto, ON)

1-1-arnie-40th-1.jpg

1-1-arnie-40th-2.jpg

1-1-arnie-40th-3.jpg

#TruthDigest

I believe this was a run of counterfeits that were done to make money selling the putters to collectors, overseas. We see it a lot in today's markets, but it was not all that common back in the days when these putters were bringing huge amounts of money when sold to Japanese collectors.

I spoke with Tad Moore about this very subject, only with some George Lowe putters, recently. It seems like counterfeiting has been going on in golf for a lot longer than I had ever dreamed.

Just an opinion based on what I have heard.

LaMont in AZ

The one with the spelling error is a counterfeit. They've been discussed on Putter Talk by the collectors a few times.

Everything about it is fake, down to the grip. The grip is one of the best copies of an original Wilson Grip, but it is fake as well. Just like LaMont said, they were made to sell to the collectors overseas. And I'd venture a good bet (the pictures are too small or I'd be able to point it out) that the shaft is also incorrect and not an original headspeed shaft(you can tell by matching up step patterns. The original had an 8.25" measurement to the first step, the second generation headspeed(which was made from 1971 forward) has a 6" first step, meaning that the distance from the tip to the first step will measure 6 inches). They're good fakes, but they're dead giveaways. 99.9% of the time, when you see golf equipment with a misspelling on it, it's because it's a Chinese counterfeit.

Oh, and LaMont, how would one get in touch with Tad? I just acquired a FPR Tour S Shorty and was wondering about how the copper insert was attached. I am going to remill the face with deep milling and want to make sure it's not going to peel out when I touch it with the mill.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived