Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Demo Day : New vs Old interesting findings

My home course had a demo day this past weekend with Ping, TaylorMade, and Srixon/Cleveland Golf in attendance.   Weather kept turnout pretty minimal so I was able to hit a ton of balls across all three manufactures.    I was trying out driver (current driver is a TaylorMade r7 Quad...14 years old!), 3-wood (current driver is a TaylorMade 200 steel 18ish years old), and irons (current irons are TaylorMade RAC OS ....13 years old).   So it was cool to have "current and old equipment" versus the new state-of-the-art equipment.   Also helpful was that each booth had a trackman running.

Interestingly......my current equipment was pretty much holding up swing for swing versus the new stuff.  Is the new stuff a couple of yards longer?  Sure.   Was it enough of a difference to drop $500 on a new driver?  No way.    Same for the 3-wood and irons.   A couple of the reps there were amazed by the closeness in the numbers.  

So moral of the story, new does not always equal better when it comes to golf equipment.    If thinking about new equipment, bring your old stuff along and do a true club-to-club comparison....the results might save you a few bucks.  

Interesting. I would have thought 10+ year old technology would be ready for an update. Glad to hear that you were able to save a few bucks.

I think that my 8 year old Orlimar Driver may be in need of replacement, but I will absolutely be bringing it along for any shopping / fitting trips to ensure that I'm seeing an improvement.

Question for the group - I'm trying to find Demo days and can't seem to track any down. Google keeps showing me OLD info on past days but I can't find anything on upcoming days. Help?

Driver - :ping-small: G400 LST

3W & 4H - Orlimar High Energy 2

Irons - :cobra-small:F7 OL (5I - GW)

Wedges -  Top Flight Gamer Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter - Orlimar HE2

Balls - Vice Pro

Newer stuff will offer better performance for most on the non center face hits. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

15 minutes ago, forerightgolfer said:

Question for the group - I'm trying to find Demo days and can't seem to track any down. Google keeps showing me OLD info on past days but I can't find anything on upcoming days. Help?

I have this bookmarked and used to find it very helpful  -  I just ran a few tests and it doesn't seem as good as it used to, however I did get the Ping and Taylormade links to give me some upcoming dates.  Its a start.

https://blog.nextgengolf.org/golf-help/finding-a-golf-demo-day

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

2 minutes ago, juspoole said:

I have this bookmarked and used to find it very helpful  -  I just ran a few tests and it doesn't seem as good as it used to, however I did get the Ping and Taylormade links to give me some upcoming dates.  Its a start.

https://blog.nextgengolf.org/golf-help/finding-a-golf-demo-day

THANK YOU!

Putter - Orlimar HE2

Balls - Vice Pro

12 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Speaking of demo day... it’s 37° and raining and the course here decides to have the demo day... what a joke.

Isn't that the nicest day of the year UP there? 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Interestingly......my current equipment was pretty much holding up swing for swing versus the new stuff. 

I bet this is true for any golfer who plays a consistent game and finds the center of the club head. I bet you are a good golfer with realistic expectations of your game.

Take their recommendations and buy used in two seasons.

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

4 hours ago, Slap said:

I bet this is true for any golfer who plays a consistent game and finds the center of the club head. I bet you are a good golfer with realistic expectations of your game.

Take their recommendations and buy used in two seasons.

Exactly!  Or when a club breaks unexpectedly like when my old TaylorMade Rescue hybrid literally snapped in half at the hosel last year on the range and I suddenly found myself in the market for a new hybrid.  

7 hours ago, forerightgolfer said:

Interesting. I would have thought 10+ year old technology would be ready for an update. Glad to hear that you were able to save a few bucks.

I think that my 8 year old Orlimar Driver may be in need of replacement, but I will absolutely be bringing it along for any shopping / fitting trips to ensure that I'm seeing an improvement.

Many of the OEM have upcoming fitting days listed on their websites.  Search under fittings /Find locations of something similar. 

Also check the websites if your local courses and driving range and suscribe to their text alerts or email lists.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

14 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Many of the OEM have upcoming fitting days listed on their websites.  Search under fittings /Find locations of something similar. 

Also check the websites if your local courses and driving range and suscribe to their text alerts or email lists.  

Thanks! Will check that all out.

Putter - Orlimar HE2

Balls - Vice Pro

From 1950-1980 golfers bought clubs either off the rack or with a basic fitting and expected their shot to be as good as the swing they put into it. Persimmon woods and forged irons, pretty simple. They used those same clubs for 10, 15, 20 years before wearing them out or moving to a softer flex.

Then along came Ping with its investment cast perimeter weighted clubs. Again, players had a fitting or purchased off the rack but still used the same clubs through the 80’s, into the 90’s but now, they didn’t wear out.

Then we entered the “cell phone” era of golf clubs. Like your phone your clubs are obsolete after two years so what was once a purchase made every 10, 15, or even 20 years by your grandfather became every other year in modern golf.

I have a modern bag and a vintage bag in my garage ready to go at this very moment. Both have 14 clubs in them covering distances from 0-250 yards, probably 270 with my modern driver. I may use a different number club for the same 150 yard shot, but both bags of clubs will get the job done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

The modern day clubs are just more forgiving then the clubs of 10 years ago.  I don't think distance has changed much because it's not allowed to change.  Distance for drivers are regulated.  Clubs can only perform to a set standard, and now a days, every company makes their drivers to do that.  What is not regulated is the way the companies can move weighting, change sweet spot locations, change center of gravity etc.  This is the biggest difference.  

Sadly, this all comes at an alarming cost to the consumer and each big company out there has done a phenomenal job at marketing to make us all think that we should purchase a new driver every year or two, when the fact is, we are not going to see distance gains or if we do they are SLIGHT distance changes due to better shafts or aerodynamics of a head.  The larger manufacturers are pricing themselves out of the game for a lot of us.  I don't want to spend $550 for a new driver every two years but until we, the consumer, stop spending the money the companies will keep creeping the price up.   

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

I'd agree with many here that the forgiveness is something you might see a bigger difference. My current iron set isn't 10 years old (CF16's) but I went for a fitting and hit every current iron set available, and nothing came close to beating out the CF16. Some gave me incremental improvements, but nothing major/worth upgrading. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

11 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

The modern day clubs are just more forgiving then the clubs of 10 years ago.  I don't think distance has changed much because it's not allowed to change.  Distance for drivers are regulated.  Clubs can only perform to a set standard, and now a days, every company makes their drivers to do that.  What is not regulated is the way the companies can move weighting, change sweet spot locations, change center of gravity etc.  This is the biggest difference.  

Sadly, this all comes at an alarming cost to the consumer and each big company out there has done a phenomenal job at marketing to make us all think that we should purchase a new driver every year or two, when the fact is, we are not going to see distance gains or if we do they are SLIGHT distance changes due to better shafts or aerodynamics of a head.  The larger manufacturers are pricing themselves out of the game for a lot of us.  I don't want to spend $550 for a new driver every two years but until we, the consumer, stop spending the money the companies will keep creeping the price up.   

Spot on.  When I upgraded my G5 driver to a 913D3, my eyes lit up when I realized that a heel ball would travel much further than I was used to.  I soon realized that this gain in technology was over a 7 year span.  Truth is, you don’t need to spend $500 every two years.  

I’ve said it several times here but my driver purchases are every 3-5 years.  It is within my budget and truth be told, It will show me an appreciable gain in technology over that period of time.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/