Jump to content
mr.hicksta

Tell me your Top 10 courses played!

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

I've not played near enough top tier courses to have a top 10 list so I'll shoot try something different.  The courses that are notable and those that I had the best fun factor for one reason or another.

  • Bandon Dunes
  • Pacific Dunes
  • Cog Hill - Dubsdread
  • Laurel Valley

Fun Factor

  • Myrtle Beach National
  • Brickyard Crossing
  • Cowboys Golf Club
  • The Club at Savannah Harbor

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bethpage Black

Pinehurst #2

Pinehurst #9

Trump National Ferry Point

Kiawah River Course (private)

Tobacco Road

Dormie Club

Baywood Greens

Mid Pines

Lighthouse Sound

I have not had a chance to play West.  One day hopefully!  I plan on playing Pebble and Torrey Pines within the next few years, along with the Old Course (5 year plan).  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with most, in no particular order, although my favorites are near the top

Royal Dornoch

The Old Course

Lahinch

Waterville

Pinehurst #2

Mid Pines

Whistling Straits - Straits Course

Blackwolf Run - River Course

Classic Club

Tobacco Road

When I think about it, I've been pretty dang lucky to have had those experiences.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, mine's going to pale in comparison to some of those, but here's what I would say for me.

1) Whistling Straits Straits Course

2) Pinehurst No. 2

3) Troon North-Monument Course

4) Torrey Pines South

5) Pinehurst No. 4

6) TPC Sawgrass

7) Torrey Pines North

8 ) Compass Pointe Golf Course

9) World Woods Pine Barrens 

10) Pelican Hills GC

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Well, mine's going to pale in comparison to some of those, but here's what I would say for me.

1) Whistling Straits Straits Course

2) Pinehurst No. 2

3) Troon North-Monument Course

4) Torrey Pines South

5) Pinehurst No. 4

6) TPC Sawgrass

7) Torrey Pines North

8 ) Compass Pointe Golf Course

9) World Woods Pine Barrens 

10) Pelican Hills GC

Is that the "New" Pinehurst #4?  I am playing that in July and can't wait.  I've heard great things about the redesign.  DavePO43, have you played the new #4 yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ballplayer002003 said:

Is that the "New" Pinehurst #4?  I am playing that in July and can't wait.  I've heard great things about the redesign.  DavePO43, have you played the new #4 yet?

No, I played it before the renovation.  I was scheduled to play it in a TT event in April, but had to cancel when I went to PHX.  I'm hoping to go back down in the late summer or early fall and play it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

No, I played it before the renovation.  I was scheduled to play it in a TT event in April, but had to cancel when I went to PHX.  I'm hoping to go back down in the late summer or early fall and play it. 

I've heard nothing but great things about it.  Of course with the new redesign comes a much higher cost.  I think it is pretty close to what #2 costs.  But, when in Rome I guess.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ballplayer002003 said:

I've heard nothing but great things about it.  Of course with the new redesign comes a much higher cost.  I think it is pretty close to what #2 costs.  But, when in Rome I guess.  

Yeah, not sure of the cost, it was part of a pacakge that was a great deal.  So not sure what it is ala carte.   Where else are you playing in July?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, not sure of the cost, it was part of a pacakge that was a great deal.  So not sure what it is ala carte.   Where else are you playing in July?

We are playing Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, #4, Mid South and Talamore.  A few of us may play #2 again as well.  The cost for #4 is $320 or so.  Steep!!!  I saw the TT trip too, that was a great deal especially when you look at one round costing 320, then you got the wedge (150) a hat (30), dinner (75) and the room (?) plus you got to meet Bob Vokey...what a deal!!!  Wish I would have seen that sooner.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

We are playing Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, #4, Mid South and Talamore.  A few of us may play #2 again as well.  The cost for #4 is $320 or so.  Steep!!!  I saw the TT trip too, that was a great deal especially when you look at one round costing 320, then you got the wedge (150) a hat (30), dinner (75) and the room (?) plus you got to meet Bob Vokey...what a deal!!!  Wish I would have seen that sooner.  

Where are you staying while you're there?  I own one of the "villas" at Talamore, and get down there pretty regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Where are you staying while you're there?  I own one of the "villas" at Talamore, and get down there pretty regularly.

We are staying at Talamore.  We have a group of 16 of us that go down every year.  We always stay there.  Can't beat it.  We are going down late this year for us (july 17-21).  Will you be in the area at that time?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

We are staying at Talamore.  We have a group of 16 of us that go down every year.  We always stay there.  Can't beat it.  We are going down late this year for us (july 17-21).  Will you be in the area at that time?

No, nothing planned until Thanksgiving week.  My unit is on the side backing onto the reservoir, across from the gas grills, I'll be pretty amused if you end up in that one.  If you've been there, you don't need my help, but I'll be glad to recommend restaurants if you like.  We should probably move this discussion to another thread before we hijack this one any further.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

We are playing Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, #4, Mid South and Talamore.  A few of us may play #2 again as well.  The cost for #4 is $320 or so.  Steep!!!  I saw the TT trip too, that was a great deal especially when you look at one round costing 320, then you got the wedge (150) a hat (30), dinner (75) and the room (?) plus you got to meet Bob Vokey...what a deal!!!  Wish I would have seen that sooner.  

i've chatted with a couple of the guys that went, and they say the time spent with Vokey was worth the price alone...It was one of the best ones they've had and these guys have been to most.

They have a Whistling Straits one in August, but it's a bit out of my range at $1600 I think.  But another great lineup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ballplayer002003 said:

We are staying at Talamore.  We have a group of 16 of us that go down every year.  We always stay there.  Can't beat it.  We are going down late this year for us (july 17-21).  Will you be in the area at that time?

We (small group of 3) stayed at Talamore last fall for a trip.  They are great condo's  and location. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 3:27 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

i've chatted with a couple of the guys that went, and they say the time spent with Vokey was worth the price alone...It was one of the best ones they've had and these guys have been to most.

They have a Whistling Straits one in August, but it's a bit out of my range at $1600 I think.  But another great lineup!

Ouch!  Too rich for my blood too!  haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salem Country Club MA

McArthur

Brae Burn

Sleepy Hollow

Lake View FL

Jupiter Hills East

Lost Tree

Doral Blue

Tamerisk (Palm Springs)

The Conservatory

Edited by Glftips

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... Here is one that should be on my list, but sadly isn't. Quite a few years ago I was narrating a commercial for some toilets up in Wisconsin. Simple walk and talk and point to some toilets that then became a close up. I was talking about golf at diner and the client said he was building a course on the lake and thought I would enjoy playing it. The course would not be open for another year, but people were playing it and giving him their opinions. I didn't have my clubs or clothes and it was approaching 10pm after a long 10 hr day in front of the camera so I really just wanted to get home and it was a 2 hr drive. He said he has a hotel there and he could get me some clothes and rental clubs. I passed.

... Did I really want to play an unfinished course that could have been in any kind of condition along Lake Michigan where it is almost always crazy windy with rental clubs and goodness knows what kind of clothes? And what does some guy selling toilets know about golf courses?  So my biggest golf regret was telling Herb Koehler I did not want to play a course that had no name at that time but would later be known as Whistling Straits. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah man. This one is tough. Took me a while to think about it. But in no particular order (and probably filled with many I'll never play):

-Oakmont CC

-Bandon Dunes

-Shinnecock Hills

-Merion

-Winged Foot

-Whistling Straits

-Old Sandwich

-Riviera

-Erin Hills

-Augusta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In no particular order, some courses I played that I really enjoyed ---

Bandon Dunes -- Pacific

Desert Inn (Vegas) now gone

Dunes West -- Isle of Palms SC

Sand Hollow -- Utah

Wolf Creek -- Mesquite NV

Stallion Mountain -- Vegas

Red Rock Country Club -- Vegas

Conestoga Golf Club -- Mesquite NV

Charleston National Golf Course -- Charleston, SC

Man O War -- Myrtle Beach, SC

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In no particular order

1. Sand Hills 

2. Wild Horse

3. Prairie Dunes

4. Southern Hills

5. Colonial

6. Austin Golf Club

7. Aronimink

8. Merion

9. Sweetens Cove

10. Huntington Valley

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...