mr.hicksta

Tell me your Top 10 courses played!

Our Sponsors

I can't come up with 10, but here is my list so far:

- Arcadia Bluffs - Bluffs Course (Arcadia, MI)
- Lakewood Shores - The Gailes (Oscoda, MI)
- Black Lake Golf Club (Onaway, MI)
- The Loon  (Gaylord, MI)
- The Legend (Bellaire, MI)
- Virginia Beach National Golf Club (Virginia Beach, VA)
- The Rock (Drummond Island, MI)
- Grandview Golf Club (Kalkaska, MI)
- Hawk's Eye (Bellaire, MI)

13 hours ago, GSwag said:
  1. This is the view from the tee box of #14 at Virginia National Golf Club, in Bluemont, VA.  I used to be a member here back in 2005, and would drive about 45 minutes after work during the week to play it.  It was always wide open because it was so far from where anyone lived.  It was jam packed on the weekends as guys would make day trips just to play this place.  Unfortunately, the economics for the location of this course just don't work, and they closed a number of years ago. 

Apparently you used to drive right past my own home club, Stoneleigh GC in Round Hill.  I think another problem that Virginia National had was regular flooding of the lower-lying areas of the course.  If you have to recover from that every year or two, you better have a pretty strong revenue stream, and as you said, they were too far from the population centers to survive.

I took a look back at my own list, and I haven't played anyplace that would change it.  I did get to play North Berwick in June, and its really close, maybe that becomes Number 10-A

I also noticed that @ballplayer002003 was headed to Pinehurst over the summer, but can't remember seeing any post-trip commentary.  How did it go?

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Apparently you used to drive right past my own home club, Stoneleigh GC in Round Hill.  I think another problem that Virginia National had was regular flooding of the lower-lying areas of the course.  If you have to recover from that every year or two, you better have a pretty strong revenue stream, and as you said, they were too far from the population centers to survive.

I used to drive past Stoneleigh every time I went out there.  Always wanted to stop there and play it, but never had the opportunity when I lived up there from 2001-2005.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 11:37 AM, DaveP043 said:

I took a look back at my own list, and I haven't played anyplace that would change it.  I did get to play North Berwick in June, and its really close, maybe that becomes Number 10-A

I also noticed that @ballplayer002003 was headed to Pinehurst over the summer, but can't remember seeing any post-trip commentary.  How did it go?

When we played it this past summer it was in GREAT shape.  I had heard a lot of bad PR about the place but also heard it was on the rebound so we took a chance, just because a lot of us love Mike Strantz courses.  It was bloody hot that day (played it in the afternoon on our way to Pinehurst) and there was nobody on the course.  A storm rolled through for about 10 minutes but the course drained really well (again only about a 10 min rain so take what you will from that).  I really liked this course, and with all Strantz courses, I would need and want to play this again, now that I know what some of the holes actually do.  

• Like 1