Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

SpyStaffSlam Wilson D7 Driver winner review

daviddvm

Well bad luck on my trip down the coast this week. Stormed all weekend in Rockport so we could not play golf, so I will put the new Wilson Driver and ball in in play this Thursday at my regular group play. I'll let you know how it goes but the weather looks a little stormy this week as well : (

These storms need to stop !

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:titleist-small:  816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 5 + 6   KBS Tour 80 R

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE 7, 8, 9  KBS Tour 90 R                                     

:cobra-small: SpeedZoneONE P, G, S  KBS Wedge

:cobra-small: King Black ONE 60*  VO8*      True Temper Dynamic Gold Black

Lamkin Crossline Cord Connect Black Mid-size plus 2 wraps

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

:titleist-small:  -ProV1x  Align XL  

All in a :cobra-small:  Masters Staff Bag  or  SpeedZone stand bag

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4  The ONLY One Length Contestant!

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

BirdieBall Outdoor Putting Green                                 

Bummer about the weather but would like to hear your thoughts on the driver when you do play. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Will do Wedgie

:cobra-small: SpeedZone Pars and Stripes 9.5* Driver 14gm weight in back, VENTUS Blue 6-R set to +1* draw.

:cobra-small: 14.5* Fairway,  18.5* Fairway, 22.5* Fairway.  All with Tensei CK Blue R set to +1* draw.

:cameron-small:  Special Select Newport 2  34" :scotty-small: Matador grip               :Arccos:                                                                                                                                                               

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                

I like that Wilson is solid in the mix of sought after clubs.  I really want to try out the new D7 irons.  Have fun with the driver.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Hey David,

As the other D7 winner from the Masters, I'm going to piggy back on this thread because well... we're twins!

Just so everyone knows, David and I picked identical players and tiebreaker scores to tie for 2nd for the Masters #SpyStaffSlam. Incidentally, we also picked the same specs for the driver and ball as well.

I was able to get a session at the range on the previous Sunday and I got a round in with the driver last Friday. A couple notes I had...

- The driver sits a little more upright compared to my current Callaway Driver. It's not a bid thing but I believe it forces me to make a small adjustment in my swing

- Not a heavy driver and it is simple in it's design. And honestly that's how I like it. Feels great in my hands and looks good down by the ball.

So after one round with it how do I feel about it? I liked it! I think I still need to adjust a little to it with my swing, but overall I performed well with it. I didn't hit all the fairways, but I was never out of play (Except for a single duck hook that went bye bye). My Callaway Driver is a 10 degree, so it took a little getting used to the lower flight of the 9 degree Wilson D7. I was hitting a lot of cuts with it, which is a little different as I am more of a draw guy. There were a few times where I was able to shape some shots around doglegs as well, which pleased me to no end.

Overall, I still have some work to do with it, but I am definitely keeping it in the bag for now.

As for the Wilson balls, I got those later than the driver so I haven't had a chance to hit them. I'll put them in the bag for next round and will let you all know how I like them. Currently I generally play ProV1s.

I'll also try and post some pictures too later on, but it's the same as the one posted above.

Thanks!

Greased

WITB

Wilson D7 9 degree driver

Jazz Fat Cat 3 wood

Jazz 16 degree rescue wood

KZG Forged Blades 3-PW (21 - 48 degrees)

Titleist Vokey SM 54 and 58 degree wedges

Spalding Blue Chip Putter

Hey David,
As the other D7 winner from the Masters, I'm going to piggy back on this thread because well... we're twins!
Just so everyone knows, David and I picked identical players and tiebreaker scores to tie for 2nd for the Masters #SpyStaffSlam. Incidentally, we also picked the same specs for the driver and ball as well.
I was able to get a session at the range on the previous Sunday and I got a round in with the driver last Friday. A couple notes I had...
- The driver sits a little more upright compared to my current Callaway Driver. It's not a bid thing but I believe it forces me to make a small adjustment in my swing
- Not a heavy driver and it is simple in it's design. And honestly that's how I like it. Feels great in my hands and looks good down by the ball.
So after one round with it how do I feel about it? I liked it! I think I still need to adjust a little to it with my swing, but overall I performed well with it. I didn't hit all the fairways, but I was never out of play (Except for a single duck hook that went bye bye). My Callaway Driver is a 10 degree, so it took a little getting used to the lower flight of the 9 degree Wilson D7. I was hitting a lot of cuts with it, which is a little different as I am more of a draw guy. There were a few times where I was able to shape some shots around doglegs as well, which pleased me to no end.
Overall, I still have some work to do with it, but I am definitely keeping it in the bag for now.
As for the Wilson balls, I got those later than the driver so I haven't had a chance to hit them. I'll put them in the bag for next round and will let you all know how I like them. Currently I generally play ProV1s.
I'll also try and post some pictures too later on, but it's the same as the one posted above.
Thanks!
Greased

Nice write up! A friend of mine wants to know who you picked for the PGA?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

35 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Nice write up! A friend of mine wants to know who you picked for the PGA?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Thanks! I'll be sure to update it once I hit the balls.

And as for my picks for the PGA... HA! I feel like I'm going to finish dead last this time around. It's such a crapshoot and these guys can be hot and then cold from round to round. But I will tell you that I picked Tiger (Like the Masters) and my wildcard (5th tier) is Dufner.

WITB

Wilson D7 9 degree driver

Jazz Fat Cat 3 wood

Jazz 16 degree rescue wood

KZG Forged Blades 3-PW (21 - 48 degrees)

Titleist Vokey SM 54 and 58 degree wedges

Spalding Blue Chip Putter

Ok guys I finally was able to play a round of golf in Houston last week. Driving range closed and cart path only! So I'm standing on the first tee looking at the Wilson/Staff D7 driver that has never hit a golf ball "COLD TURKEY" and for some reason I'm nervous and I can feel my buddies watching me closely...I've put in play for the first time a brand new W/S Professional ball...setup and top line of the D7 looks similar to my Titleist TS driver...WHACK I snap hook the brand new ball into the swollen creek that runs left and parallel to the first fairway😞. Now I tee up another brand new W/S pro ball and take a few practice swings and hit a weak fade down the right side of the fairway and go on to triple bogey the first hole🙄. But things did get better starting with the second hole🏌️‍♂️My confidence was shaken but with a 248 yard laser down the left side of the fairway and a resulting par on the second hole my day got back on track. with the wet conditions in mind there was zero roll out so distances the ball traveled was almost completely ball flight yardages. 

I only recently acquired my Arccos caddie and this is the third round I have been able to record. Two rounds with my TS driver playing reloaded Pro V1 ball and one round with D7 new W/S Professional ball. I should say BALLS because I went through two sleeves of W/S pro balls because of the wet conditions of the course. All of the bunkers were so full of water you could not see you ball to retrieve in most cases and the usually quiet creeks that run through the course were raging. All three rounds have been played in these conditions because of our spring weather patterns so comparing yardages of Drivers and balls will be reasonable.

Wow! What I did learn bases on these limited rounds is that I lose the most strokes with my driver and gain the most strokes with sand saves and putting🤔. I would have believed sand play but I have not felt like I've been holing many putts lately. I consider my Driving a strength. But the stats are telling me otherwise. Based on just these three rounds my yardage is basically the same with both drivers and balls but my accuracy improved with the W/S  D7 driver and W/S pro ball by 20%😮 let's see if that holds true going forward.

Now I just want to add a few subjective observations of mine, I don't feel like I'm playing very good right now and I've been trying to improve my swing and I think it is causing more inconsistency but will pay off in the long run. As far as the W/S D7 I did not feel as confident standing over the ball on the tee and it does have different feel, it's a little lighter and off center hits feel more obvious than with my TS driver but the stats look good so far. I liked the feel of the W/S professional ball and didn't detect any loss of distance that I suspected from the 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide produced by MyGolfSpy. The only stat that changed noticeably was Driving accuracy. 

I'll be giving them another go this week,

See ya next time🏌️‍♂️

Shot Tracking by Arccos Caddie            I'm Right Handed

Putting in Play: Wilson/Staff 2019  D7 Driver UST Mamiya Helium stiff shaft

On the sidelines (Titleist TS2 10.5* Driver, Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV stiff Shaft)

Titleist TS2 15* Fairway, Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV stiff Shaft

Titleist 816H1 19* , Fujikura Motore Speeder stiff shaft

Titleist 816H1 23* , Fujikura Motore Speeder stiff shaft

Titleist 816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft ( trade this club out for 5 iron sometimes )

Titleist AP1 5-PW graphite stiff shafts

Vokey G, S, L wedges

Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35" putter, The Art of Putting Head Cover, Scotty Cameron Golf Matador Putter Grip Mid-size.

New ball Wilson/Staff Professional   sidelined  (Titleist ProV1x)

Callaway 15' pocket ball retriever ( I use this too much! )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone !

The weather in Houston is finally cooperating. And I was able to get two rounds in and a a practice session the last two weeks.

The W/S D7 driver has served me well and I have confidence in the club after playing 3 rounds and some time on the range. My driving distance and accuracy have improved each week. The driving distance has probably increased due to improving weather conditions with increasing firmness of the fairways. The accuracy is real tribute to the quality of this club. I hit several real bombs this week with one ending up 315 yards ( longest drive since obtaining arccos caddie 5 rounds ago). I'm going to put my TS 2 back in the bag next week but the comparison will continue. 

As for the W/S professional ball I really like this ball it feels and performs similar to a ProV1. I know this ball did not perform well in 2019 Golf Ball Buyers Guide but I am comparing it to my ProV1 reloaded or found balls. The guide also found that aged and balls left in water for long periods of time don't perform up to standards new balls do. So I'm eager to put new ProV1x balls in play and compare my results. But first I'm going to put my TS 2 back in play with my last three W/S Pro balls so the driver comparison is consistent.

I'll be back to report my findings after a round or two, hit'm straight y'all 🏌️‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys and Gals,

Weather here in Houston still a challenge, 100 degrees one day and flooding the next. But I was able to get a couple rounds in these last two weeks. Put my Titleist TS2 back in play with my last two W/S Pro balls. I could really feel the difference swinging my TS2 felt much heavier but really solid when I put a good swing on it. Statistically according to my arccos stats I am gaining 2 strokes per round when playing the W/S D7 driver vs my Titleist TS2. What I deduced or observed was that after swinging a slightly lighter driver ( W/S D7 ) for three rounds it took me a round and a half to adjust back to my heavier driver ( TS2 ). My back nine yesterday was pretty much my best driving of the last two months. I do think reducing the weight of the club must be an advantage. As far as the W/S professional ball...statistically has performed just as good as Titleist ProV1x...the two balls performed equally based on Arccos stats. And as far as feel goes I could tell no difference.

This little experiment of mine has opened my eyes a bit, performance doesn't come with a name. Performance comes with what is right for your game and many of the not so high profile brands out there are producing great equipment!

It is a good thing I discovered this because I got some great news today...wait for it...I was chosen to be a MGS tester today !

I'm one of 8 Lynx iron testers and I'm going to be reporting what I learn, feel, think, and statistically find in the new Black Cat Irons.

I'm psyched !     Please follow me on this new journey.

I'll let you when I get the Irons⛳          🏌️‍♂️

MyGolfSpy is the bomb !

8 hours ago, daviddvm said:

Hi Guys and Gals,

Weather here in Houston still a challenge, 100 degrees one day and flooding the next. But I was able to get a couple rounds in these last two weeks. Put my Titleist TS2 back in play with my last two W/S Pro balls. I could really feel the difference swinging my TS2 felt much heavier but really solid when I put a good swing on it. Statistically according to my arccos stats I am gaining 2 strokes per round when playing the W/S D7 driver vs my Titleist TS2. What I deduced or observed was that after swinging a slightly lighter driver ( W/S D7 ) for three rounds it took me a round and a half to adjust back to my heavier driver ( TS2 ). My back nine yesterday was pretty much my most driving of the last two months. I do think reducing the weight of the club must be an advantage. As far as the W/S professional ball...statistically has performed just as good as Titleist ProV1x...the two balls performed equally based on Arccos stats. And as far as feel goes I could tell no difference.

This little experiment of mine has opened my eyes a bit, performance doesn't come with a name. Performance comes with what is right for your game and many of the not so high profile brands out there are producing great equipment!

It is a good thing I discovered this because I got some great news today...wait for it...I was chosen to be a MGS tester today !

I'm one of 8 Lynx iron testers and I'm going to be reporting what I learn, feel, think, and statistically find in the new Black Cat Irons.

I'm psyched !     Please follow me on this new journey.

I'll let you when I get the Irons⛳          🏌️‍♂️

MyGolfSpy is the bomb !

Congrats on being chosen!  That news is some of the most exciting there is. Enjoy the new sticks. We'll be looking for your review!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals,

I'm back to report on my continuing evaluation of W/S D7 driver vs TS2 driver. And W/S Pro vs ProV1x.

First off I just want to say I'm so thankful I found MGS ! The insight and thoroughness of a wide variety of articles and opinions has really got me to analyze my own game and equipment like never before. 

So as I reported last time I had gone back to my TS2 driver and took me a while to adjust to a slightly heavier driver. But how much heavier is my TS2 with a Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV stiff Shaft ? 

Well I needed to investigate. Very hard to nail down the exact head weight on either driver head but I easily could find the weight of the shafts.  UST Mamiya Helium stiff shaft 57gm vs Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV stiff Shaft 67gm. Having seen a benefit from the lighter weight made me look towards other options and fortunately I have two other shafts that fit the TS2 driver head. So I pulled out spare shaft HZRDUS SMOKE 60g stiff Shaft to compare and low and behold it is not only lighter it is also longer! Measure the length of the shaft stupid! Turns out my Speeder evolution is a 44" shaft and my HZRDUS Smoke is a more standard 45". Then I measured the UST Mamiya Helium is also 45". Lighter and longer that sounds like a good combination 🤔

Well it is a good combination...had my best driving stats of my 8 rounds tracked by Arrcos as well as my lowest score this year!

Changed my Titleist TS2 15* Fairway, Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV stiff Shaft as well.

Here is my current set up;   

Shot Tracking by Arccos Caddie            I'm Right Handed

Titleist TS2 10.5* Driver, HZRDUS SMOKE 60g stiff Shaft        Sometimes use (Wilson/Staff 2019  D7 Driver UST Mamiya Helium stiff shaft)

Titleist TS2 15* Fairway, HZRDUS SMOKE 70g stiff Shaft

Titleist 816H1 19* , Fujikura Motore Speeder stiff shaft

Titleist 816H1 23* , Fujikura Motore Speeder stiff shaft

Titleist 816H1 27* Hybrid w/ Diamana Blue Board 70 HY Stiff Shaft ( trade this club out for 5 iron sometimes )

Titleist AP1 5-PW KURO KAGE low balance iron graphite stiff shafts plus 0.5", 1* upright

Vokey TVD 52*M SM4 inscribed WILLEY   Aerotech Steelfiber i125 xflex plus 1", 1* upright

Vokey Spin Milled BV 56-11 c-c True Temper Wedge shaft

Vokey TVD 60*M SM4 inscribed WILLEY   Aerotech Steelfiber i125 xflex plus 1", 1* upright

Golf Pride Tour Velvet midsize grips

Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35" putter, The Art of Putting Head Cover, Scotty Cameron Golf Matador Putter Grip Mid-size.

Titleist ProV1x

Callaway 15' pocket ball retriever ( I use this too much! )

All carried in my 2012 Titleist Staff Bag.

Waiting on Lynx to send me 2019 Black Cat Irons for testing! 

• 1 year later...

I’m not exactly Bryson.... but I middled a tee shot at the weekend and my Wilson D7 3 wood EXPLODED 💣 ....

The ball impacted square in the middle of the sweet spot and blew a 2cm wide hole in the club face. I have never seen anything like it.

Anyway Wilson customer support has been useless. Not taking any ownership for build quality. Telling me to go back to the retailer etc etc. 
That may be their policy but when a club fails so spectacularly I was hopeful that they would seek to maintain brand confidence by addressing the issue.
Was swinging nicely prior to this incident.
Stay away from the D7.

They'll address it by dealing direct with the retailer. That is their policy.

Been using W/S clubs going back to the Di11 line and their support has been top notch. I own the D7 driver and have no complains whatsoever aside from how incredibly light it is. Sorry your 3wood "exploded" however I'm sure if you addressed it through the retailer as requested, you'll be taken care of. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game