Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Selecting new putter grip

Last season I put the Cleveland Huntington Beach 3 putter in the bag. It came stock with a thin pistol grip at purchase. 

Quick note: I tested many  putters prior to purchasing and ultimately loved the feel (soft) and quick, true roll this provided me. Also, could not believe the price compared to the others. 

Although we have shared both good and bad times, I am still in love with putter.... however, I have found that i have gone through periods of time where i struggle closer to the hole.... I wont say the word, but it seems that i get a little too wristy/ handsy on those 3-5 footers. I am thinking about purchasing a larger grip with the intent to quiet the hands and wrists.

Do i stick with Cleveland brand and grab their oversized grip? Should i worry about a new grip/added weight changing the feel that i currently have developed ?

Any suggestions on how to determine best fit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and stay goin low!

I love SuperStrokes so I put one on my HB to help keep my hands quiet. It didn’t affect the feel for me at all, however it’s also a grip that I’m comfortable with and used to.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Choosing putter grips is one of the most convoluted processes I've found.  Do you stick with stock?  Do you go to pistol?  Do you go to something oversized?  etc. etc. etc.    My only advice is to try them all out.  

Chanchorp13...you mentioned struggling with short putts.  Just wondering if you're playing the right putter. for your swing.   With your putter, I know that that has about 45 degree toe hang (I eyed it too when I was putter shopping)...do you have a slight arc swing?   The reason I ask...I just found out I was misfitted into the wrong putter for years (playing a 2-ball mallet) and that was playing havoc with my putting.  Literally it's like putting a square peg into a round hole.   A putter club builder noticed that at an event when I was putting, suggested I try a blade style with about 45 degree toe hang and it's been nothing but sunk putts since then.  I typically struggled with those 3-5 footers with my old mallet style (designed for straight putting swings) and those are now gimmes with my new blade putter (Ping Cadence TR) which fits my swing much better. 

I know SuperStroke is usually the easy option for oversized grips, but I'd highly recommend checking out P2 Grips. The TOUR React is the same size as the SS Mid Slim 2.0 albeit a slightly different shape and has become my go to putter grip!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

For this season I switched from stock Ping grip to a SuperStroke Slim 3.0. So far, I really like it - I feel like my hands are a lot more relaxed at address.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I went from Pistol Grip to a SuperStroke 1.0 grip and the difference was night and day.  Less pushing and pulling the ball.  I have also tried a weighted grip and didn't like it as much.  It's really a personal preference so i would go to a PGA tour superstore or something and try different putters with different grips and see how you like the feel..

It won't hurt to change to a bigger grip and if you don't like it the go back to the pistol or test with another style or thickness.  You may find a good one on your first try or it may take change or two to get the feel you like.  

:ping-small: G400 Max Driver

:taylormade-small:M2 5-Wood and 3 Hybrid (2017)

🅿️ ✖️ G (Missing logo) 0311P 4-AW

:titelist-small: SM7 50* and 56* Wedges

:callaway-small:px

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite putter grip is the Lamkin Deep Etch. I have been playing it for several years. However, many people like the SuperSoft grips. I tried one and it just didn't feel right to me. If you liked your old grip, I would replace it with the same style. It never hurts to experiment, but "if it ain't broke; don't fix it".

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

Putting can be very subjective but so is all of golf------  Some grips react differently with different putters most of the time has to do with weight and balance---- IMHO go with a grip that feels comfortable to you. If the grip is not comfortable tension develops and that is no good especially putting. I have been experimenting around some the last few years and went back to my old standard which they do not make any more the old Royal Cord. I have plenty of them and since I use air to install I can switch them back and forth. But Hoganman summed it up pretty good if it ain't broke don't fix it . One cheap thing you can do if you want to experiment with a larger grip is wrap your existing grip with gauze or athletic tape to try different sizes. I would advise regular gauze with out the sticky stuff on a Winn or Superstroke grip 

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I went oversized SS and I liked  it at first. Afterva month of strugling with it, I took it off and went back to a standard size but in a  Golf Pride Tour SNSR. Great grip. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX