TESTERS WANTED! ×

TM Original One or Shorter Driver

pxthree

I know, fitting is key, but I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are. I was thinking that, essentially, one could get similar results for accuracy with a shorter driver as they would with the TM Original One. As for distance I would think a driver at the same length as the Original One would get a little more distance since it would probably have a lower loft (assuming you're hitting both in the middle of the face). 

Has anyone had a chance to test this out? What are your thoughts?

It’s going to vary by person what they get out of it. 

The fitter at the shop I go to likes the distance and dispersion.  TXG just did a video with an a good golfer that shows this vs driver. There are a couple YouTube channels that have reviews/comparison 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I hit it at the demo day. I’m a huge fan. The smaller head is nice. Especially the black colors.

Was the straightest driver I hit that day, and better then the M6 fairway too.

Couldn’t tell distance really, they had trackmans but they were picking up the rain and snow making them useless.

Definitely on my list. It sounds great, looks great, and from what I could tell performance was there too.

I had a chance to hit this yesterday on a trackman indoors. Definitely felt great and dispersion was tighter than driver. Distance definitely lacked (I hit the 11.5 compared to my 10.5 driver). I'm not sure if I could see it in my bag though.

Your thoughts seems to make sense as a shorter club seems to be a little more accurate all else being equal.  For distance, I would guess there is little if any difference.  If you watch one of the countless YouTube driver test videos comparing off the shelf 45.5" drivers, maybe one is longer than the other and maybe they are about the same. It varies.  I would expect the same sort of result from a driver test between two 43.5" drivers all else being equal. 

I am with others here in that I do like the short shaft length drivers.  I just can't get very comfortable at address with the standard 45.5" to 46" drivers that are standard now. 

I have not hit the TM Original One (yet) but I recently picked up a used TM SLDR Mini which is also 43.5" long.  Unfortunately it was the 14deg but I took a chance anyway.  I hit a few at the range later that day.  I don't have a launch monitor, but my initial thought after a few shots was that both ball flight and distance appeared very similar to my 3wood which is 15deg and 43" long.  Go figure.  I'm going to game it for a couple rounds and make a decision.  I have been seeing a lot of good things from people that tried a TM Original One.  I think it might be a good used choice in a year or two.

5 hours ago, pxthree said:

I had a chance to hit this yesterday on a trackman indoors. Definitely felt great and dispersion was tighter than driver. Distance definitely lacked (I hit the 11.5 compared to my 10.5 driver). I'm not sure if I could see it in my bag though.

I’m guessing the length of them are different as are the lofts were you expecting it to keep up with the driver?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I saw a guy in the shot hit it last weekend and it was a knuckleball machine. It was very accurate and the ball speed was great. I was impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I would like to try one off the deck.  Have not found a 3 wood that works for me, maybe this could be an option.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I love my TM aeroburner mini driver. I am afraid to demo this club as I know it will cost me $399 plus tax......🤑

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

This may be an option I look into. I am currently carrying 2 drivers in my bag. Swing with the driver has been trash though so it has been hard to get any reliable results.

CA / 13.8 HDCP

Driver :taylormade-small: M3 9.5* with 44" Mitsubishi Tensei blue stiff shaft

:callaway-small: Big Bertha 3 hybrid 18* UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 graphite stiff

:callaway-small: Apex 19 5-AW with True Temper Elevate 95 stiff shafts

:titelist-small: SM6 54* and 58* wedges

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne Stealth 35"

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V One