TESTERS WANTED! ×

Why is golf a hard sell?

Big money

That time of year again at my club. The big push for getting new members signed up.This time around they are offering us referral discounts and prizes.Just about every potential referral  I had has something negative to say about golf.The million excuses why they won’t join or take up golf.Why is this game such a hard sell for introducing new people to the game?

Keep it in the short stuff

Would say this would be a bad year for a member drive in my area. An extremely long and brutal winter. Followed by a spring that has yielded record rains and massive flooding so far. Weather is a huge factor why people refrain from outdoor sports activities at times. And golf is a sport that requires one to really be avid and active to be worthwhile. The bad weather and long winters don’t justify the investment of time and money needed to join a club. 

I for one play and practice in any type of weather conditions. I still stink, but the drive and ambition for improvement is always there. 

Edited by Big money

IMO.. not enough young kids being introduced. That's one of the reasons I'm heavily invested in The First Tee.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

In a world of instant gratification, golf is one of those games that takes time and patience to aquire any kind of positive results. Unfortunately, I've seen, many want to play at the level they see on TV and when they try without proper instruction, equipment, and mind set, they fail on their first attempt, toss the clubs in the garage.

Perhaps one idea would be to have something like an open house allowing people to try different aspects, like a putt,chip,drive event. Don't go on the course, that would spell failure from the start. The putt,chip,drive might spark an interest to explore the game further.

Just my thinking.

Chris

Edited by LeftyHawk

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

IMO.. not enough young kids being introduced. That's one of the reasons I'm heavily invested in The First Tee.

Also why all three of my children compete in PGA Jr league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

It's not a cheap thing to take up, regardless of the mantra "it can be as cheap as you want it to be". No, it can't. It can only be so cheap/inexpensive to a point. After that, it costs what it costs. The initial cost, IMO isn't what the problem is. It's the cost of actually playing. Yes, only a few rounds a year is not that expensive, but if you really want to play at least once a week, it gets pricey. Most of us lose quite a few balls over a year (they don't give those away.... not even Top Flights). Most courses in my area are not any cheaper than $30.00 for a round.... most are 2-10 $$$ more than that. Most folks making the median income in this country find that hard to do when there are other things that demand the $$$.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but as one who has to figure out how to play as often as I like, it aint easy when there so many other things that require money. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I also understand that it takes money to run a golf course, keep staff paid and the doors open. This is why I feel golf will eventually become the realm of the wealthy/affluent... again.

Edited by silver & black

Golf is hard and everyone wants to be good right now. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think another big problem with young kids getting into golf is there parents having unrealistic expectations. I coach college golf and I've had parents come to me speaking about how there senior in high school (who shoots in the high 90s) has potential to get on tour.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think it really comes down to logistics. When compared to many of the other popular adult sporting activities time and money are the biggest issues. As a young adult it was weight training, running and basketball for me. The fitness center cost me $50 a month for 24hr unlimited access. In two hours a could run to the gym, play several games of pick-up ball, lift weights then run home.

As stated in the previous posts, even though there are ways to reduce the cost of playing golf comparatively golf is still very expensive. Let’s assume someone gifted you a set of hand me down clubs the cost can still add up to maintain a enjoyable skill level.

One large bucket of balls at the range twice a week = $20

One round of golf walking the local municipal course once a week = $25

One box of balls per month $20

Using the conservative numbers above the casual golfer would spend no less than $200 a month.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

It’s almost equivalent to getting the ugly sister out of the house. No matter how hard you try.You can’t even give her away.Tough sell is being overly kind.Its a hobby where less than 5% of new adult potential players will show any interest in.

Not everybody is going to play golf for a wide variety of reasons. All you can do is expose people, preferably young people, to the game and some will gravitate to it.

We still have a bit of a course surplus from the first Tiger boom. It will level off if it hasn’t already and Golf will find its normal.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Earlier in the week, stockholders at a private club in a neighboring community were called into a special business meeting to discuss an offer from a developer to purchase the property for new home construction that would eliminate the golf course.  That would be the second golf course shuttered in this particular county in the past two years.  

By all outward appearances, the developer didn't initiate the conversation, the club did.

I think most of the challenges have already been mentioned but IMHO I think the "instant gratification theme" is key.  This game is difficult.  Even the TW's excitement then and now, and the influx of interest that brings, does not change the fact that it's a game most must spend a significant amount of time developing skills to a point they can competently play.  Also, while not terribly expensive, it still costs lots more than many other hobbies and a larger investment of time.  Lastly, I think many perceive golf country clubs as havens for stuffy, privileged folks... which is looked down upon by many.  Just my .02 cents which probably isn't worth half that.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

20 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

All great comments.But this is by far the one thing that will grow the game.Many adults who had limited exposure in the game as youths won’t be interested in a membership.The interest in this game must start at a very early age.And be continued into the adult years.If not, than you are looking at once or twice a year golfers.Perfect scenario for public random golf outings.But a bad match for a full out buy in membership 

Golf is the cricket of individual sports. For those who do play it, the five hours doesn't represent a problem.  For many who might have played it, it does.

Nine holes of golf is stigmatized today as something less than real golf.  If golf had been established as a nine hole game to begin with, however, 2-2½ hours would seem reasonable to a lot more people. 

Also, the cost of manicuring 150 acres of golf course is staggering today.  Keep the course as natural as possible, and it will take six hours to play.

And also, 150 acres translates into a lot of expensive house lots. How can it even be economically feasible to use them for a golf course, especially in highly populated areas?  In sparsely populated ares, who's around to play? 

The above two things must add a lot to the cost of playing.

Retiring gave me more time but less money. I managed to pay my club dues because mortgages and kids' tuitions were gone,  bit it was nonetheless an extravagance for sure.  My wife would have enjoyed more trips abroad.  I fancied them less, but would have enjoyed Vegas twice a year more than once.

As somebody who did play the game for fifty years or so, I would also site changes in the game that were distasteful to me. The banishment of steel spikes nearly drove me from the game years before my health ever did. I never enjoyed the game as much without them.  The modern equipment was probably a factor more unique to me. Most people adapted to it. Many like it.  I absolutely hated it.

I loved golf, despite the things that I didn't love about it.  Maybe if I were still healthy enough to play, playing like a healthy septuagenarian would have been sad enough to make me walk away by now anyway.

I suppose that if you're young and healthy, have plenty of time and money, and like your outdoors manicured rather than scruffy and natural (as I always have), golf is still a really great game.   It's just easy to understand why fewer people seem to be attracted to it.

Edited by NiftyNiblick

11 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

I loved golf, despite the things that I didn't love about it.  Yet, I find myself missing it less and less.  Even if I were still healthy enough  to play, how well would I be able to play as a healthy septuagenarian?  I'd spend the entire round thinking about what I used to be able to do and can't do anymore.

You could consider giving back to the game. For example: volunteer at a local First Tee Chapter or other youth golf program. Lend to those learning your wisdom and advise. Show a youngster how to putt or chip. Become a mentor. There's lots of way to stay connected to the game if you want to. Swinging a club isn't everything.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

IMO, much of it is because golf is expensive and takes dedication to play at a level where its enjoyable.  Most people dont have the drive, dedication or time to practice enough to play golf well.  Most just want to never pick up a club, play a few times a year but still play well enough to where golf is enjoyable.  Thats not realistic for most, if any.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

IMO, much of it is because golf is expensive and takes dedication to play at a level where its enjoyable.  Most people dont have the drive, dedication or time to practice enough to play golf well.  Most just want to never pick up a club, play a few times a year but still play well enough to where golf is enjoyable.  Thats not realistic for most, if any.

Disagree with this part. I know lots of bad or so so golfers that enjoy the game despite not playing well. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

New members at a club is cost only. I have tons of friends that golf and aren’t members because of cost. Reason for not starting to golf is because it’s boring. everyone grows up playing the go go go sports and golf just seems eh. That’s exactly how I viewed it my entire life until I played it once I got older. 

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Disagree with this part. I know lots of bad or so so golfers that enjoy the game despite not playing well. 

I wish that I knew any golfers like that.  Most people I know and even randoms who I get paired up with, when they are bad at golf, they dont seem to enjoy it much.  I cant imagine how it would be much fun to slice your drives into the woods, top your fairway wood, duff your chips and 3-putt every hole.

I know that for me, even when I dont score very well, I still enjoy golf when I pure an iron or when I shot works out exactly like I planned.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

5 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

I wish that I knew any golfers like that.  Most people I know and even randoms who I get paired up with, when they are bad at golf, they dont seem to enjoy it much.  I cant imagine how it would be much fun to slice your drives into the woods, top your fairway wood, duff your chips and 3-putt every hole.

I know that for me, even when I dont score very well, I still enjoy golf when I pure an iron or when I shot works out exactly like I planned.

Guys like that in my experience get frustrated at golf and will complain all day and then come back out for more. Others won’t complain and just go about the round. When both go home they look back and enjoyed the time out playing. There are many ways to enjoy golf and ability doesn’t always impact enjoyment. I know guys who are single digits that don’t seem to be enjoying a round because of a bad shot or two. 

I think there's a few reasons it's hard to get new people in to the game.

1) Cost to entry - yes I know you can go get used or beginner set for $100 or less, however most people like the top of the line things and without knowing think that a $1000 set of irons will instantly make them better than a $100 set.  The cost of lessons isn't cheap either

2) Cost of rounds - Its hard anymore to find a good course on the weekends that's under $40. If you do it's not in the best of shape which can lead to frustration hitting out of bad fairways or greens that even the best putters would struggle on

3) Time to learn to play - The amount of time you have to dedicate to practicing the game is a long process, if you want to be decent. Also it can fade quickly (like over a long winter). I deal with this every time my wife comes to the range with me, she hits 3 semi decent shots in a row and then hits a few bad ones and hates it. 

4) Time to play - This is not a fast paced instant gratification game, 3 to 4 hours is a lot to invest in an activity

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Trying to throw another angle at this here, but the perception that golf can only be played and enjoyed over 18 holes of stroke play may be a factor that keeps people from participating in the game.

There are many people that I know that play 2v2 or other small sided variations of larger games. As a former soccer player and coach, it’s not always easy to find 22 people to have a complete match. But it is much easier to find 8 people to play a 4v4 game.

Creating opportunities for “pick-up” type games could help draw people into the game.

In another thread, it was mentioned that courses could offer rounds of 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, or 18 holes to bring people into the game. Also, showing people that playing team games such as better ball, alternate shot, scramble, shamble, etc. can increase people’s enjoyment of the game.

When I play with my in-laws, we typically will play 9 holes of stroke play and then 9 holes of a scramble or shamble.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

It may be a hard sell but that hasn't stopped people from playing and picking up the game. There is always a push for membership at clubs, but I think this is just due to the fact that there are a lot of golf courses. The NGF released their annual report not to long ago, I don't have access to the full report $$, but overall participation is up and has actually continued to rise since 2014. Here is a Forbes article discussing the state of the game. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikmatuszewski/2019/05/01/the-state-of-the-golf-industry-for-2019/#7aa85ff85208

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

If you look at any Topgolf location you see the shear joy an entire family can have at the game of golf. TVs, loud music, beer, wine and great food all while everyone is Laughing and someone being horrible at golf.
What does a Country Club have anything similar in what I just explained. They are stuffy, elitist, expensive and full of rules. A family would join TopGolf in a heart beat,, but joining a country club??? Where is the payoff for a family. In today's instant gratification generation the journey to being a competent golfer that can get on a good course and not look like a complete ass is a long one.
If you are a long time golfer like myself but with limited time to play due to work cycles its foolish for me to belong to a club. I like to play a variety of courses. Our local Muni allows walkers $20 for 18 holes. No club house minimum, no restaurant minimum, no fancy dress code. Just golf. Why would I want to join a club??

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

If you look at any Topgolf location you see the shear joy an entire family can have at the game of golf. TVs, loud music, beer, wine and great food all while everyone is Laughing and someone being horrible at golf.
What does a Country Club have anything similar in what I just explained. They are stuffy, elitist, expensive and full of rules. A family would join TopGolf in a heart beat,, but joining a country club??? Where is the payoff for a family. In today's instant gratification generation the journey to being a competent golfer that can get on a good course and not look like a complete ass is a long one.
If you are a long time golfer like myself but with limited time to play due to work cycles its foolish for me to belong to a club. I like to play a variety of courses. Our local Muni allows walkers $20 for 18 holes. No club house minimum, no restaurant minimum, no fancy dress code. Just golf. Why would I want to join a club??

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Amen!

• 2 months later...

I was hanging out, talking to the GM and assistant at my home club last night.  Found out a private club with a pretty impressive history in a nearby community is being sold for pennies on the dollar to the town where the club is located.  Similar story to what we've heard over the past 10 years.  They incurred huge debt in the late 90's to early 00's with several expansions that were completely unnecessary and turned a lot of the membership base off.

They tripled the size of the clubhouse which was very unpopular.  The quaint quarters of the old clubhouse made everyone feel welcome and right at home.  The new expansive clubhouse just feels dead and empty.  They built a huge pool and facilities to support the pool in a community that already had a town owned parks and recreation aquatics center.  They built a new bar/restaurant that is almost always empty.  They didn't do anything to the golf course and conditions have deteriorated badly.  It's a viscous cycle where the newly constructed "amenities" drag down revenue, which leads to less money for the golf course, which leads to poor playing conditions, which leads to the town purchasing the property for the land.

I can never understand the desire for opulence.  Why can't golf facilities do golf and do it as well as they possibly can?  Forget the other garbage.

15 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I can never understand the desire for opulence.  Why can't golf facilities do golf and do it as well as they possibly can?  Forget the other garbage.

Couldn't agree more. Too much money is spent on buildings that few golfers will spend much time in and the other amenities often attached to a golf facility can easily be found elsewhere.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I'm sure it's different in the different parts of the country or world.  We haven't had a new golf course in my area in over 20 years.  My course, a muni, was completely rebuilt 20 years ago as the area was developed for business and houses/condos.  They kept the same land, but turned an 18-hole par 66 course and 9-hole par 3 course into our current 18-hole par 72 course.  It's not the best of courses, but it's well maintained for a muni.  The clubhouse that was built is just a building for the pro shop, cafe (such as it is), and rest rooms.  It's also deteriorating, but I doubt any updates will be made.  Price is competitive with other courses ranging from $25-50 depending on day and time. However, memberships are reasonable, and a Player's Card purchased for $300 get's you 50% of any rate/any day.  A membership also gets you Player's Card rates at our sister course.

The other "new" course was built 24 years ago out in the desert with a housing plan around it.  There were very few houses around it until two years ago.  Now there are houses on every hole.  It's still a couple of miles out into the desert, and there are no services there.  The clubhouse was a modular building for pro shop and cafe.  The course has gone downhill the last couple of years IMO, but it was purchased this year and the new owner has stated that he is improving the course and building a new clubhouse with a nice restaurant.  If it's a decent restaurant, it should be packed even by non-golfers that live there as other food options are miles away.

Our golfing population has been fairly steady over the years; new young players taking up the game as us old guys die off.  We do not have a First Tee program anymore, but every course has kid's clinics in the summer, and special kids rates apply at certain times when accompanied by an adult.  I suspect that the younger generations will either take it up if they enjoy the challenge... or they won't.  I also suspect that at some point in their life, some of those that don't will tend to migrate to golf after they settle down, played their other games, and had their families. Just like I did.  They will look for a pastime that provides challenges when they become too old for the more strenuous activities of their youth.  I see both young kids taking up the game, and I see middle-age people learning the game for the first time.  I think it's always been like that, and it will always be like that.  What becomes the "normal" varies from area to area based on a lot of factors.  Clearly, it's different in rural areas than in metro areas.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”