Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Why is golf a hard sell?

Big money

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

I'm sure it's different in the different parts of the country or world.  We haven't had a new golf course in my area in over 20 years.  My course, a muni, was completely rebuilt 20 years ago as the area was developed for business and houses/condos.  They kept the same land, but turned an 18-hole par 66 course and 9-hole par 3 course into our current 18-hole par 72 course.  It's not the best of courses, but it's well maintained for a muni.  The clubhouse that was built is just a building for the pro shop, cafe (such as it is), and rest rooms.  It's also deteriorating, but I doubt any updates will be made.  Price is competitive with other courses ranging from $25-50 depending on day and time. However, memberships are reasonable, and a Player's Card purchased for $300 get's you 50% of any rate/any day.  A membership also gets you Player's Card rates at our sister course.

The other "new" course was built 24 years ago out in the desert with a housing plan around it.  There were very few houses around it until two years ago.  Now there are houses on every hole.  It's still a couple of miles out into the desert, and there are no services there.  The clubhouse was a modular building for pro shop and cafe.  The course has gone downhill the last couple of years IMO, but it was purchased this year and the new owner has stated that he is improving the course and building a new clubhouse with a nice restaurant.  If it's a decent restaurant, it should be packed even by non-golfers that live there as other food options are miles away.

Our golfing population has been fairly steady over the years; new young players taking up the game as us old guys die off.  We do not have a First Tee program anymore, but every course has kid's clinics in the summer, and special kids rates apply at certain times when accompanied by an adult.  I suspect that the younger generations will either take it up if they enjoy the challenge... or they won't.  I also suspect that at some point in their life, some of those that don't will tend to migrate to golf after they settle down, played their other games, and had their families. Just like I did.  They will look for a pastime that provides challenges when they become too old for the more strenuous activities of their youth.  I see both young kids taking up the game, and I see middle-age people learning the game for the first time.  I think it's always been like that, and it will always be like that.  What becomes the "normal" varies from area to area based on a lot of factors.  Clearly, it's different in rural areas than in metro areas.

My home club has 355 active members currently.  We do allow some guest play but they are limited to when and how often.  Since this area is roughly 65% retirees from the Northeast, that policy is most often enforced during the summer months given many of those retiree/residents spend the winter in Florida.  Basically, we have a lot of dues paying members that spend half the year in Florida. 

The course is always in great shape.  It isn't a course that will win any awards.  It's short at 6,164 from the tips but plays quite a bit longer given the elevation change.  To give you an example, I played 18 holes Tuesday afternoon and hit 10 drivers to only 1 wedge approach.  I had several wedges around the greens for a third but only one full wedge following a drive.  The elevation change comes into play virtually everywhere.  It is great to see all the kids around my club nowadays.  At least 13 have been mainstays this summer being dropped off at 7 am by a parent and picked up near dark.

We have had one course built locally since the 1960's.....Primland.  The rest are established courses with varying degrees of a following.  Primland gets a lot of out-of-town play but the locals know, better golf can be found at a substantially lower rate.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:11 PM, silver & black said:

It's not a cheap thing to take up, regardless of the mantra "it can be as cheap as you want it to be". No, it can't. It can only be so cheap/inexpensive to a point. After that, it costs what it costs. The initial cost, IMO isn't what the problem is. It's the cost of actually playing. Yes, only a few rounds a year is not that expensive, but if you really want to play at least once a week, it gets pricey. Most of us lose quite a few balls over a year (they don't give those away.... not even Top Flights). Most courses in my area are not any cheaper than $30.00 for a round.... most are 2-10 $$$ more than that. Most folks making the median income in this country find that hard to do when there are other things that demand the $$$.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but as one who has to figure out how to play as often as I like, it aint easy when there so many other things that require money. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I also understand that it takes money to run a golf course, keep staff paid and the doors open. This is why I feel golf will eventually become the realm of the wealthy/affluent... again.

Completely agree, I think you're spot on.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

That time of year again at my club. The big push for getting new members signed up.This time around they are offering us referral discounts and prizes.Just about every potential referral  I had has something negative to say about golf.The million excuses why they won’t join or take up golf.Why is this game such a hard sell for introducing new people to the game?

Because golf is an outdoor, sometimes fairly expensive, long term commitment and we’re in a culture that wants instant gratification for minimal effort.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Honestly, I think cost is the biggest thing keeping more people away. Sure it's an instant gratification culture and what not, but I think if you look at former athletes they don't exactly fit that category. By and large people who've spent a lot of time practicing and training in another sport would be likely to enjoy golf that way as well. That's why I enjoy it so much. 

But, paying $4k for a golf membership, that only pays back if you're playing ~2-3 rounds a week, that's just not gonna happen. Certainly the biggest hurdle imo.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

On 7/13/2019 at 5:27 AM, ncwoz said:

Honestly, I think cost is the biggest thing keeping more people away. Sure it's an instant gratification culture and what not, but I think if you look at former athletes they don't exactly fit that category. By and large people who've spent a lot of time practicing and training in another sport would be likely to enjoy golf that way as well. That's why I enjoy it so much. 

But, paying $4k for a golf membership, that only pays back if you're playing ~2-3 rounds a week, that's just not gonna happen. Certainly the biggest hurdle imo.

I actually had a great experience visiting a club for possible membership.The normal price is an astounding $9k a year for all the amenities.However; do to the clubs need for new members.They are offering a casual member pass for $1k for the season.This is for unlimited golf-range balls-and cart Monday - Wednesday.Sure we can’t play the weekends.But for the course conditions and challenges it is highly worth it.Many courses are really pushing for more members 

Keep it in the short stuff