Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Practical applications of the MGS Golf ball test

I don’t think it’s going to be 100% accurate. As [mention=15174]cnosil[/mention] mentioned the algorithm changes based on that setting just as it would if the operator set it up for fast firm fairways or the opposite of slow fairways. 

Yep. And since it is a calculation done with software it probably isn’t perfect. Reliable yes, but not exact.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yep. And since it is a calculation done with software it probably isn’t perfect. Reliable yes, but not exact.

Exactly. Trackman has the holy grail of launch monitor but many don’t know or realize it’s as much algorithm based as it is radar

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:24 PM, ChasingScratch said:

Hard earned money should be spent on quality practice right? 

An excellent statement!  I've started going to the driving range less and less.  As a replacement, I play a quick 9 at a local Par 3 course.  I can get around in 1.5hrs or less walking.  Like most of us we only have a certain amount of free time and money.  For me, it ends up being much better practice than banging away at a bucket of balls.  And let's face it, it's way more fun too!  To tie in with the golf ball discussion, this also allows "practice" with my game ball as opposed to range balls.

Based on reading information trackman can look at the spin characteristics of the ball and make adjustments. Basically the software is comparing the captured data to a library of data to make the adjustments.

It can normalize for range balls and weather conditions.

I would agree - at least based on what my fitter did last week. Before we started the fitting session he said he had normalized the Trackman info.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Exactly. Trackman has the holy grail of launch monitor but many don’t know or realize it’s as much algorithm based as it is radar

Yup, which is why my fitter prefers camera-based monitors like GC2.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

So for me, I think that I’ll just focus on impact when I hit range balls (baby powder, foot spray, dry erase marker, etc.) and worry less about ball flight. I can feel if it is open or closed at impact.

I’ll be spending the majority of my time on the short game and putting with the balls I plan to play with.

WITB:

The problem that I see with the Kirklands is that this is what they are - today - they will be something different after this supply runs out and then where are you at?  I really think the Snell ball is the better play if you are after value - yes that ball costs more but it's going to be there.  Think about it - you can eliminate a variable by just playing one ball - any ball. 

Good luck

I guess what you could do (or I, since I just bought 24 K-Sigs) is play those for a season and then when the new batch comes out just practice with the new ones until you get your new distances and then use them for the season. Might not be too drastic of a difference change.

WITB:

On 5/7/2019 at 11:08 AM, TwoCoatsOfWax said:

An excellent statement!  I've started going to the driving range less and less.  As a replacement, I play a quick 9 at a local Par 3 course.  I can get around in 1.5hrs or less walking.  Like most of us we only have a certain amount of free time and money.  For me, it ends up being much better practice than banging away at a bucket of balls.  And let's face it, it's way more fun too!  To tie in with the golf ball discussion, this also allows "practice" with my game ball as opposed to range balls.

I have a course that has a 3-hole par 3 course.  Shortest hole maxes at 100yds, mid-range hole at about 160, longest hole can go up to 200yds.  That's where I need to be focusing my time anyway (and on the putting/chipping greens).

WITB:

@ChasingScratch - Welcome aboard man, and thanks for the thought provoking post! Personally, I think the most important practical application is to use the data from the MGS Ball Test to play what you feel is the best ball for YOUR game. I love how many excellent options there are to chose from, and I ended up switching to the Pro V1x as a result of the test. Obviously everyone's use of the data is going to be different, and I feel like another important result of the test is that it makes players dig a little deeper through what is honestly a lot of marketing hype in some cases. 

To the part about the range balls, I think a test would only be useful if there were samples used from a variety of ranges. Because out here on one course they have NXT Tour range balls, which are the nicest range balls I've seen on the island, and then they have the mix of restricted flight Pinnacles, Nikes and Srixons that I see at the range I frequent. The quality of the latter is a mixed bag, and I've definitely seen some gouges and cracks on older range balls. With that said, I agree 100% that focusing on contact is the best approach using range balls since the quality is going to vary from bucket to bucket and course to course!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Hello,

I haven't read all the messages but I'm replying to the original one in this thread.

Short answer: Yes, range balls are crap! I don't really look at the flight of range balls. I look at the contact on the club face and pay some attention to the flight (whether it goes left or right), but that's about it. I also look at the divot (I practice on grass). 

So yeah don't worry too much about the range balls. There's a reason why pros practice with the same balls they play. I do all of my pitching/chipping/putting practice with my gamer, not with range balls. I use some balls that are a bit scuffed for practice and leave the ones in better condition for the course.

Cheers!

JD

[mention=86896]ChasingScratch[/mention] - Welcome aboard man, and thanks for the thought provoking post! Personally, I think the most important practical application is to use the data from the MGS Ball Test to play what you feel is the best ball for YOUR game. I love how many excellent options there are to chose from, and I ended up switching to the Pro V1x as a result of the test. Obviously everyone's use of the data is going to be different, and I feel like another important result of the test is that it makes players dig a little deeper through what is honestly a lot of marketing hype in some cases. 
To the part about the range balls, I think a test would only be useful if there were samples used from a variety of ranges. Because out here on one course they have NXT Tour range balls, which are the nicest range balls I've seen on the island, and then they have the mix of restricted flight Pinnacles, Nikes and Srixons that I see at the range I frequent. The quality of the latter is a mixed bag, and I've definitely seen some gouges and cracks on older range balls. With that said, I agree 100% that focusing on contact is the best approach using range balls since the quality is going to vary from bucket to bucket and course to course!

Thanks for the comments! Yes, definitely one of the most important parts is challenging the marketing hype around golf balls. I do think that once we find the ball that is best for us we should do our best to stick with it.

I bought some Kirkland Signatures to try. Money is an issue for me so I’m hoping they perform as well for me as ProVs do.

I’m jealous as to how nice of range balls your range has! That’s awesome.

WITB:

Hello,
I haven't read all the messages but I'm replying to the original one in this thread.
Short answer: Yes, range balls are crap! I don't really look at the flight of range balls. I look at the contact on the club face and pay some attention to the flight (whether it goes left or right), but that's about it. I also look at the divot (I practice on grass). 
So yeah don't worry too much about the range balls. There's a reason why pros practice with the same balls they play. I do all of my pitching/chipping/putting practice with my gamer, not with range balls. I use some balls that are a bit scuffed for practice and leave the ones in better condition for the course.
Cheers!
JD

Absolutely! The pros hit their gamer ball on the range (if only we were so lucky lol).

Thanks for your comments! I’m going to focus on club face impact with some foot spray going forward and not pay so much attention to the ball flight.

WITB:

Play the ball all of America plays....

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Play the ball all of America plays....
[/url]  

This is excellent!!

WITB: