TESTERS WANTED! ×

Buying iron heads

Who out there has assembled their own irons? I'm looking to see if there is any reasonable cost savings to buy shafts and heads separate but am not having much luck finding iron heads readily available. Anyone have a go to source for purchasing iron heads? Im looking for new Mizuno heads, specifically MP 18 SC's or JPX 919 tours, 4 through PW.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

I assembled clubs in the past when component companies were the big thing. I remember waiting for the golfsmith catalog to arrive. Buying the separate components can be cheaper. Unless you buy used you won’t get the big name OEM heads. Mizuno does not sell just the heads. Even companies like club champion buy the entire club and then rebuild to the players specs.

If you are only looking for heads search eBay and the various golf forum for sale threads

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks, I was curious but hadn't really seen much big name OEM out there unless used and on Ebay. With so many no charge upgrades offered with Mizuno between grips and shafts, it doesn't seem like there's going to be much cost advantage. That and my lack of club building experience is making me shy away from the idea. I'm sure I could assemble them, but I'd hate for any learning curve to show on a brand new Mizuno head.

Your best bet for new Mizuno Heads is going to be eBay, but like Cnosil said, they don’t sell them head only so you might find a set someone pulled from the original shafts but it isn’t very likely. For Mizuno I think you’d be best off just buying retail or slightly used if you come across your specs.

It’s not too difficult to build your own clubs, but the hardest part will be sourcing new Mizuno heads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

On 5/3/2019 at 8:12 AM, Curly6 said:

Who out there has assembled their own irons? I'm looking to see if there is any reasonable cost savings to buy shafts and heads separate but am not having much luck finding iron heads readily available. Anyone have a go to source for purchasing iron heads? Im looking for new Mizuno heads, specifically MP 18 SC's or JPX 919 tours, 4 through PW.

You could try the Iron Factory. They have many refrub heads

I know you are looking at Mizuno but I will suggest that Golfworks has excellent forged irons that are quite affordable.  You can buy everything you need to build a club/clubs through them or they will build to your spec.  I play the TE Forged which replaced a set of Mizunos.  I like the TE Forged better and they were $600 less than the Mizunos to boot.

I THIRD Golfworks! (I guess now 4th because Popeye64 snuck in ahead of me :P)  I have the DBM's (black version of the TE's). Had Golfworks build them for me with Nippon N.S. pro 950gh shafts. They will bend loft, lie, and cut to preferred length at no extra charge. I knew my specs so I just had them make the clubs. With premium shafts, grips, cut, built, bent to my specs sent to my doorstep for $400. I couldn't be happier with them! AND I've hit about every forged club on the market and these are as good as the best and better than most.

In fact, when I was looking for similar clubs to use for my "mock fitting" for the DBM's, the MMB SC's were what I used as they have nearly identical stock lofts, lies, shape, and feel. 

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Golfworks line up of forged iron heads have never been better. They have traditional forged heads or cutting edge tech at better than a third of the price of any OEM. Do your self a favor and build a demo club or two. You will never look back to an OEM iron head.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Popeye64 you and MattF were who really got me going on Maltby. I truly have NOT looked back. I think I'm going on my 3rd or maybe 4th season with these and have no desires to change. I'll play them until the grooves are gone.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 5/3/2019 at 7:12 AM, Curly6 said:

... Maybe a little more labor intensive the you are looking for, but finding a new or mint set on eBay is usually pretty easy, although sometimes time consuming. I usually do this when wanting to try new irons or build some for family and friends. Lets say a new set of MP SC's irons are on eBay for $599 with Project X 7.0 shafts at 1" long and over sized grips that was a special order then cancelled (it happens) because the seller isn't having much luck with such strong and longer shafts and over sized grips. If I buy them for $599 and sell the shafts for $99 my cost is now $499 or 1/2 price for new irons. If I already have shafts that will work for me I just install them. But of course I can buy some for $99 or less on eBay. 

... Obviously if you like doing club work it is a no brainer. If it something new for you, deciding whether saving $400 is worth the effort is the determining factor. If it is a one time deal, it is most likely not worth the effort. If it is the start of tinkering, which is a ton of fun for those of us that enjoy that aspect of equipment, it could be the start of a new enjoyable hobby. Interestingly I am going to the basement today and start puling Nippon 950GH R-flex shafts and replace them with Nippon Modus 105 Tour S-flex shafts in some new P760's I won on eBay for less than 1/2 the retail price. Probably bid in 20 auctions for a month before being surprised by winning this one with a low bid I did not expect to win. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

First off let me tell you the huge amount of pride that can be recieved from building your own clubs. Well over 20 years ago when I really got into golf even back then I didnt want to pay full price for OEM clubs. Then I stumbled upon Maltby heads and the Golfworks. I can build and work on damn near anything so having the tools and being handy was not an issue. But quite frankly anyone can build clubs with a minimum of tools from Harbor Freight. Plus now you can experiment and change your setup whenever suits you.
I assume you already have an idea of where your club specs are so putting together a few demo irons should not be much of a guess. Doing a YouTube search should give you all the how tos on home club building. When you game a full set of clubs you made your buddies curiosity always gets to them and they want to try your clubs. That leads to building some wedges or even full sets for them.
So at a certain point it pays for being you being a club Ho.
Maltby has some new ground breaking tech for driver head construction just about to be released and it should be their best driver head launch since the CT250. I will again have an all Maltby bag and taking someone's money who bags a full set of PXGs with your gear that cost less than his driver is HUGE...

So if you have not already done so look up Golfworks and cruise through the iron heads and see what they have.

I've briefly visited the Maltby's and I'm not off put by what I see. Cost is right there, and I'm the type that takes pride in some handy work.

I've briefly visited the Maltby's and I'm not off put by what I see. Cost is right there, and I'm the type that takes pride in some handy work.
What's so great about Golfworks is they're a one stop shop. If you want to begin building, are an avid builder, or just want great non-brand clubs built, they have it all. As it was previously recommended, buy the gear to make a 7 or 6 iron, build it, try it out, if you don't like it, you're out $75.. or buy another head for $30 and give it a whirl.

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Well, I put in an email to Golfworks with several questions I have. I would really like to try my hand at building a set but I'll start with one club. I'm looking at the TE Forged, which looks like a jump in the direction I want to go from my Callaway Apex CF16's. I had questions on whether the lofts could be tweaked without a shaft (I'm wondering if the more traditional lofts are too far separated from my current set). I also asked about recommendations on a shaft change. I play a Project X LZ 6.0 in my Apex CF16's, but think u want to switch over to the Nippon Modus 3's. I'm going to stay with the 120, but want to know more about flex comparisons. I've seen plenty of threads saying the modus will play similar in flex and others saying an X would be more comparable to the PX LZ 6.0.

I like the performance of the shaft, just want a little smoother and a little more feel.

I just sent the email a little while ago, so I'll see what they say.

If you poke around a little on the website, you can find the Maltby club builder forum. You'll run into Britt Lindsay who I believe is their head builder and guru in all things related to equipment, club building, etc. A wealth of knowledge and very helpful. You can also search previous questions/answers and you may find what you're after.

http://ralphmaltby.com/forum/

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I'm officially down the wormhole now...

... Maybe a little more labor intensive the you are looking for, but finding a new or mint set on eBay is usually pretty easy, although sometimes time consuming. I usually do this when wanting to try new irons or build some for family and friends. Lets say a new set of MP SC's irons are on eBay for $599 with Project X 7.0 shafts at 1" long and over sized grips that was a special order then cancelled (it happens) because the seller isn't having much luck with such strong and longer shafts and over sized grips. If I buy them for $599 and sell the shafts for $99 my cost is now $499 or 1/2 price for new irons. If I already have shafts that will work for me I just install them. But of course I can buy some for $99 or less on eBay. 

I’m pretty that Mizuno uses different head weights for the longer shafts. With the set that you mentioned, you might run into a swing weight issue.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

1 hour ago, Rtracymog said:
On 5/8/2019 at 12:16 PM, chisag said:
I’m pretty that Mizuno uses different head weights for the longer shafts. With the set that you mentioned, you might run into a swing weight issue.

... While my example was hypothetical, I have received +1/2" Mizuno irons and they used tip weights. But point taken on a full +1". 

... While my example was hypothetical, I have received +1/2" Mizuno irons and they used tip weights. But point taken on a full +1". 
Ok so let's say you dont put a tip weight in the head with a longer shaft and you lose a half of a swingweight point. No way on earth you would ever notice.

... Now we are getting into the nuances of club building. If Mizuno uses a lighter head in 1" over and you build to normal length you are gonna lose a lot more than 1/2 swing weight point. Interestingly I just took apart a set of P760's and not one tip weight was used and every head came out within .5 swing weight points of D3 after installing some Modus 105's at 1/4" long. Gotta admit I was shocked by that. Any of the MIzuno sets I have taken apart have an amazing amount of tip weighting, including a custom order set they sent me for review. Spec'ed perfectly with KBS Tours but when I pulled them apart to put in some VS Proto 100's I was surprised at how much tip weighting was used.  

22 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Now we are getting into the nuances of club building. If Mizuno uses a lighter head in 1" over and you build to normal length you are gonna lose a lot more than 1/2 swing weight point. Interestingly I just took apart a set of P760's and not one tip weight was used and every head came out within .5 swing weight points of D3 after installing some Modus 105's at 1/4" long. Gotta admit I was shocked by that. Any of the MIzuno sets I have taken apart have an amazing amount of tip weighting, including a custom order set they sent me for review. Spec'ed perfectly with KBS Tours but when I pulled them apart to put in some VS Proto 100's I was surprised at how much tip weighting was used.  

In your experience have you noticed any negatives to tip weighting? 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

24 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

In your experience have you noticed any negatives to tip weighting? 

... I would love to say yes, but no. I haven't. The fact that Mizuno used them so liberally in a set they sent out hoping for a positive review was very informative. And I had no idea they were in there til I took them apart.

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... I would love to say yes, but no. I haven't. The fact that Mizuno used them so liberally in a set they sent out hoping for a positive review was very informative. And I had no idea they were in there til I took them apart.

That's always been my thought, glad to hear someone with actual experience.

Assuming the OEM used a rather light head to make up for the longer length, even at +1" you'd be looking at a head that's only roughly six grams lighter than the weight spec at standard length. For all we know, they could have bored out a tiny bit more of the hosel. 

As an example, Golfworks guarantees their iron heads to +/- 3 grams, so figure the OEM picks the lightest head of the bunch and then only needs to remove 3 grams of weight, the equivalent of three dollar bills. Not much material there. And when the head weighs 289 grams (example from Maltby PTM pitching wedge), that's only 1 percent of the total headweight removed. 

Not to mention the individual shaft could influence swingweight even more than the head itself. Assuming the balance point of the shafts are different, I would guess swapping shafts might move the club a few swingweight points either way as well.

The nuances of club building are crazy. And interesting. I have a set of Hogan Apex Edge CFTs in my basement that are +1 with graphite shafts. I also have a set of Ping AWT 2.0 pullouts that I need to get into them eventually. Once things slow down in late summer, I'm going to build them so I have a "winter" set to hit off the mats at the heated range.

Of course if you're building an MOI matched set, then I suppose tip weights play a much larger role. Though I don't know too many OEMs (any at all?) or even custom club builders that are MOI-matching by default.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

So, the wormhole has landed me in a different spot that could be fun. I came across a used set of MP 32's with DG S300s on the rack for $140. There is a little surface rust on the tip sections of a few of the shafts, and the faintest hue of rust beginning inside the cut cavity on the back of several of the heads. Club faces look to be in very good condition and the soles and edges seem to have relatively normal knicks and dings but no deep gouges or anything concerning.

I think I'm going to scoop these up and see how they feel. Maybe turn it into a small project and look into reshafting on my own.

I've been lurking in some of the various threads out there and I especially like the popular "what's your favorite blade" threads. These MP 32s seem to have almost a cult following with a lot of people commenting that they still play and love them and a handful of the "wish I never got rid of them" feelings.

18 minutes ago, Curly6 said:

So, the wormhole has landed me in a different spot that could be fun. I came across a used set of MP 32's with DG S300s on the rack for $140. There is a little surface rust on the tip sections of a few of the shafts, and the faintest hue of rust beginning inside the cut cavity on the back of several of the heads. Club faces look to be in very good condition and the soles and edges seem to have relatively normal knicks and dings but no deep gouges or anything concerning.

I think I'm going to scoop these up and see how they feel. Maybe turn it into a small project and look into reshafting on my own.

I've been lurking in some of the various threads out there and I especially like the popular "what's your favorite blade" threads. These MP 32s seem to have almost a cult following with a lot of people commenting that they still play and love them and a handful of the "wish I never got rid of them" feelings.

I had a set of the 32s for two seasons, although I did not play much either year.  They were pretty forgiving as far as blades go and certainly had great feel.  Ultimately though I lost too much distance on my misses towards the toe and sold them (the sweet spot is definitely on the heel side of the center of the club).

20 minutes ago, Curly6 said:

You may be able to find some used pulls for not a ton of money.

Also, WD40 is your friend when it comes to rust.  Make sure you buy the proper .355 tip shafts and ferrules too 🙂

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/