TESTERS WANTED! ×

My Tip Of The Day - 5

... Played my last round in Phoenix yesterday and was paired up with a Dr that loves the game but doesn't have time to practice or play enough. I got to use the old cliche' "I'm not a Dr but I play one on TV" lol. He asked me if I had any tips for him after he skipped a few holes and had lost about 10 balls. It is the same tip I have for most everyone, and occasionally need to remind myself. In fact, this os one of the things I miss about teaching. When demonstrating a drill, I would sometimes notice it helps my swing. 

... The golf swing takes waaaaay less effort than most of you think. Most of us have put ourself in a poor position, maybe under tree with no chance to advance the ball toward the green and just have to put it back in play. I have seen this too many times to count, but that little half swing with much less effort than their full swing, propels the ball all the way across the fairway and into the rough or woods on the other side. For once they did not try and muscle the ball or hit it really hard and the results were baffling. How can they swing "so easy" and the ball go so far?

... Here is my tip. Swing forward with the same tempo and effort you used to make your backswing. For most of you, this will be much slower than normal. Watch someone like Fred Couples and it looks like he is swinging much faster forward than he did on his backswing. But he isn't. He just has flash speed at the bottom of his swing because his tempo is extraordinary. So if you swing back briskly, then swing forward briskly. If you swing back slowly then swing forward slowly. Medium tempo backswing and a medium tempo forward swing. Just remember your backswing starts at 6pm but 6pm is only halfway into your downswing and the clubbed will be moving much faster than you think if you maintain the same tempo. Hopefully for the first time, you will not feel that muscle tightening thru impact or even worse, to start your downswing. I suggest you do this initially with your eyes closed to get the feel of what it is like to match your backswing and forward swing tempo. Then do it with your eyes open, and finally do it with a ball. Once you add the ball, some of you will recognize your innate desire to hit it hard and those eyes closed matching tempo swings disappear when there is an ball to hit. That is natural and it takes discipline and repeated swings with no ball to engrain your true tempo. But if you can maintain that tempo when you swing thru the ball, I think you might be surprised how far you hit the shot with what seems like minimal effort. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

There's something about that tip that makes me want to watch the LPGA tonight. 😉

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

8 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

There's something about that tip that makes me want to watch the LPGA tonight. 😉

... LOL. Most Am's would do much better copying LPGA swings than PGA swings. Back in the day I would recommend Tom Purtzer as a swing to copy for tempo. But todays PGA tour players swing soooo fast and start at such an early age swinging fast, it would only benefit an Orthopedic surgeon or Chiropractor to copy Rory or Dustin. 😂

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Being out at the Wells Fargo over the weekend, even the tour pros have really good tempo. It amazes me when I watch them on the range, their swing looks so effortless. Almost like they are just easy swinging for contact, but the ball goes 350 with what seems to be no effort at all. This is a good thing to remember. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Great tip.

I played baseball 6 months out of the year for my entire life until college. The single hardest thing for me to correct in my golf game has been trying to CRUSH the golfball. This has been the first year I have relaxed the grip and taken easy full swings, best golf I have ever played.