TESTERS WANTED! ×

Stand Bag w/ no tangle

hartrick11

I have a Ping Hoofer Lite from 2015 or 2016, and it's been great, but I'm ready to get a new bag and hoping for one with a larger opening for less tangle. My first thought was the 2019 Hoofer that just won most wanted, but I read in a few other places that tangle may still be an issue with these. Anyone care to weigh in here? Has anyone played with the new Titleist 5 Hybrid bag, or the Cobra staff stand bag? They both seem like they would be bigger but I can't find the info there... 

Aside from those three, what would people recommend for a stand bag with a larger opening? I'm not picky about an extra LB or two - I have a pull cart, so will only end up walking like 5 times/yr and am young and reasonably fit enough to where that shouldn't bother me. Also I don't care about 4-way, 5-way or 6-way, as long as it isn't 14-way! I just want the extra space for an Orange whip and/or extra club or two to bring to the range when I am trying out different clubs.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

You having issues when you have it on the stand, or on the cart? Or both? I have a 3.5LS by Sun Mountain and I love it. I only have a slight issue with tangle when the stand is deployed, but on the back of a cart it's non-existent.

I noticed with their new bags that they changed the shape of the dividers though, not sure what effect this has, but maybe you can pickup last year's model for cheaper?

To me, it felt like that "X" shape helped keep grips from getting tangled up, but it might just be a placebo/bias because I just really like their bags.

Also, while I was looking for a picture of that divider shape, it looks like some of the other models of their bags still have this shape. Also, there's the Sun Mountain bag thread in the Official Forum Testing sub-forum if you want to read some spy reviews on it 🙂

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Thanks - I have issues with the stand deployed while playing, so I just keep it upright while taking clubs in/out, but when I go to the range and have other clubs/orange whip/layers in the pockets, the tangle is significant. 

I'm not experienced with the Sun Mountain line but will check out the reviews, thanks - I do like how you can search their site by the top opening size!

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

I used to use a Sun Mountain C130 and then a C130S.  I really like a stand bag, but I also use it on a Clicgear.  My beef is with that foot that kicks out the legs.  I just hate the way it sits on the push cart.  And tends to twist.  I really like a completely flat bottom bag, like the Ping Hoofer or TM Flex Tech.  But certainly get frustrated with the tangles in the Hoofer.  I like the Hoofer 5 way top and club arrangement.  Seems to me it would easy for Ping to have dividers that go to the bottom and divide each section.

If the SM had a flat bottom, Id consider going back to them immediately.

P.s. the Ogio's use to have the best tops in my opinion and best dividers.  But my experience is that they don't last.  The dividers come loose and fail over time.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

23 hours ago, dbdors said:

...My beef is with that foot that kicks out the legs.  I just hate the way it sits on the push cart.  And tends to twist....

If you want to see what I mean, what this guy at about 4:10.  At first he doesn't set the bag all the way down on the bottom support, but then adjust.  But the bag is still twisted, (because of that foot).  I am not sure if that is an SM bag or not.  he could have straightened it up, but it will turn eventually since the back of the bottom does not sit flat against the back.

Woods:  :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S  

Irons: :Takomo: Takomo IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: :EVNROLL: ER1.2, 355g, :kbs: Tour GPS, 33" w/
image.png.709cedef1b6b981263b7fb0d3abefd71.png Mid Slim 2.0
Bag/Cart: :nike-small: '20 Air Hybrid 2 / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

My Titleist bag does alright. Even with 3 extra clubs in the bag for MGS testing, it's done well not to tangle. It is certainly on the bigger side for a stand/carry bag though.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag

In my experience, the SM bags have the most 'friendly' bag openings. I've used several versions of the C130 and Four 5 over the years and have never had any issues with any of them when it comes to removing or putting clubs back. As nice as the Hoofers are overall, their tops are pretty crowded especially if you use midsize grips. All that said, I think your best bet is an SM with your desired top. Plus, they're the only bag manufacturer that actually has full length dividers now and that's always a good thing. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I have a 2018 Hoofer Lite and the club tangle is real I freaking hate the bag wish I would have never bought it

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Seem to have a consensus on Sun Mountain. Now I just need to convince myself to like their looks...

2 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

Seem to have a consensus on Sun Mountain. Now I just need to convince myself to like their looks...

Check out the GlobalGolf clearance section. Sometimes you can find the custom blank bags that have minimal branding on them for cheap. Last one I got from them was a 2015 SM Four 5 14-way for $105. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

As others have mentioned regarding Sun Mountain bags, the kick stand is not integrated/built-in to the bottom, so it causes issues on carts, riding or push. I got rid of my XCR for this one reason. Store websites don’t do a very good job of listing the size of the top, so I went to the manufacturer’s pages to do so. Titleist and a few others do have integrated kick stands, and the top of the Titleist Tour stand bag is pretty big. Just all depends on if you want a clubmaker name on the side of your bag or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

37 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Just all depends on if you want a clubmaker name on the side of your bag or not.

For some reason I can't carry a bag with their logo if I don't have at least one club in the bag. I might have to break myself of that thought. 

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• 2 months later...

Sun Mountain bags are great for walking and range practical use....I have a hoofer, you get use to the tangle and/or find ways to avoid like removing/placing club in the bag when the stand is not engaged.  The hoofer has a lot of pockets and carries well.

WITB:

Ping G400 10.5 AD-DI 6s

Titleist 917 16.5

Apex 3&4 Hybrid

Ping i200 5-U

Titliest Vokey SM6 54 & 58

Scotty Cameron M2