TESTERS WANTED! ×

Slant Neck... Please Enlighten Me

sumadoggie

So I understand what a slant neck looks like - it is a putter with a shaft which slants "away" from the plane of the putter face (I believe it is not a putter whose shaft is in the same - or parallel - plane as the face, but whose hosel may slant).  I am unclear what a slant neck is supposed to help to accomplish and why or why not it might help someone.  I've found amazing little to read about slant necks on the interwebs...  Who has some good info?  Thanks.

it is another hosel design that provides offset and would be an alternative to a plumbers neck.  More putter manufacturers are now putting slant necks on mallet putters to add toe hang instead of the more traditional face balance.  From what I have learned,  offset helps control how the putter rotates during the stroke and generally the more offset you have the more closed the face will be to the path.  Here is something you can read:

https://mygolfspy.com/how-to-choose-right-putter-hosel-shape/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 hours ago, cnosil said:

it is another hosel design that provides offset and would be an alternative to a plumbers neck.  More putter manufacturers are now putting slant necks on mallet putters to add toe hang instead of the more traditional face balance.  From what I have learned,  offset helps control how the putter rotates during the stroke and generally the more offset you have the more closed the face will be to the path.  Here is something you can read:

Yah, I saw that MGS piece.  When I've tried out a slant neck putter with what I would consider a grip and set-up which doesn't try to manipulate the lie of the putter, it seems to leep my leading arm and putter shaft in the same plane and I produce stroke which seems to brush up the back of the ball.  

It feels oddly natural - like I'm not trying to hit through the ball or manipulate a forward press or anything.  Just kind of a pendulum-esque sqing with my front shoulder dipping and lifting with my trail handbeing a guide/piston.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

Most slant necks seem to give a half offset where plumbers and double bends give a full offset, and a straight in gives you no offset.

What I have found through my un-scientific research is this:

Generally speaking for the same putter head:

-Using a straight in neck gives you the most toe hang

-using a slant neck will give you the moderate toe hang

-using a plumbers neck gives you slight toe hang

-using a double bend give you no toe hang

So depending on how much arc and where you aim you may find more consistency with one level of toe hang  and offset combination versus another.

For me personally during my fitting I found my Newport with a plumber's neck worked better than the slant neck style because I would not rotate the slant neck putter all the way back to square with my path.  This resulted in my leaving a larger number of putts out to the right (for a right handed golfer) than with the plumbers neck.  

As for why they are becoming more popular... I think with more pros moving to mallets, but still having the need for some degree of toe hang the OEM's are making the mallets available in a number of configurations which better suit the player.  Its nice that we get to have all these options now.

Edited by B.Boston
I made a boo boo

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Most slant necks seem to give a half offset where plumbers and double bends give a full offset, and a straight in gives you no offset.
What I have found through my un-scientific research is this:
Generally speaking for the same putter head:
-Using a straight in neck gives you the most toe hang
-using a plumbers neck will give you the moderate toe hang
-using a slant neck gives you slight toe hang
-using a double bend give you no toe hang

This really isn’t 100% accurate. The offset is primarily how the putter was designed. I have seen half offset plumbers necks and full offset slant necks. Double bends can also be set to differing offsets. You can even make on set hosels.

Toe hang is determined by where the shaft would intersect the head. The closer to center the more face balanced the putter will be. The closer to the heel the more toe hang. Bending a putter upright will add some toe hang an bending it flatter will reduce toe hang.

For plumbers necks the length typically determines toe hang. A long plumbers neck will be closer to face balanced and a short neck will have more.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

All valid points. There are so many variations of designs and placements and heads.

What I was trying to explain was what a standard double bend, plumbers neck, slant neck, and straight in would do on the same putter head with the same connection point.

Think of the Scotty Newport vs the 1.5. The 1.5 has the slant neck vs the plumbers neck of the standard Newport and what I had
Mentioned before is true for those examples.

Comparing an answer style with a plumbers neck vs a mallet with a slant or variation of the two (long plumbers neck and extended slant neck) would be an entirely different story and you’d have to see them to know exactly how similar or different they would play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Also realized I had my slant and plumbers neck swapped up top... edited that.

Found a good photo of what I was trying to explain:

The two in the left are plumbers necks, which have the medium toe flow, and you can see they have close to a full offset.

The three middle heads have a slant neck and you can see more toe flow and less offset

The two at the end use I think scotty's 'single bend' which is not quite like a double but gets similar results.  They show the least toe hang.  It's still not perfect since they don't all connect at the same spot, but hopefully that will help show the difference.

2018select_article_pressrlse_art_hdr_1.jpg

It's still not perfect since they don't all connect at the same spot, but hopefully that will help show the difference.

Toe hang isn’t about offset nor where the hosel physically connects to the head. If the shaft made a straight line from the grip through the head; that point of intersection influences the toe hang. I say influences because you can weight the head to change the toe hang. If you take the same anser head and put three different length full offset plumbers neck hosels on the putter the toe hang would be different. The same applies to a flowneck, change the curve and you change the toe hang.

Toe hang isn’t about offset nor where the hosel physically connects to the head. If the shaft made a straight line from the grip through the head; that point of intersection influences the toe hang. I say influences because you can weight the head to change the toe hang. If you take the same anser head and put three different length full offset plumbers neck hosels on the putter the toe hang would be different. The same applies to a flowneck, change the curve and you change the toe hang.

I don’t disagree with that. There’s plenty of moving parts. I guess I was trying to oversimplify it for the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/3/2019 at 9:50 PM, cnosil said:

Yep you nailed it---- Also in some circles it is also called a flow neck particularly when talking about Scotty Cameron putters or other Artisan custom putters 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Darn it Boy!!!!! you are good nailed it again---- In the past I have always modified either my Ping Zing 2 or my Cameron Santa Fe exactly like that with lead tape. I have also found out if you bend a flow neck say 2* it will mess with the toe hang too but it ain't nothing a little lead tape can not cure

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G