Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

3 years in and still cant swing!

Hello, my names Steve, its my first post on this forum and I’m seeking advice! I’ve been playing (trying to) golf for around 3 years now on and off and I have been a member of the local 9-hole course for this amount of time also.

My problem is that I feel like I’ve never got better. Don’t get me wrong I probably don’t help the situation by falling in and out of love with the sport, as I have a good round and feel like I’ve cracked the code, to then play the next time and be the worst I’ve ever played!!!

I’m not sure what to do to improve my ability however. A lot of people say “just go and play… everyday.. as much as you can, that’s the only way to get better”. It doesn’t feel right though. It feels like I have fundamental issues with my golf swing. Example, went to the driving range today, every club goes 100 yards! Whether it’s a 9 iron, 7 iron, 5 iron, rescue (sometimes 125y) and my 3 wood reaches 125 yards with what I consider a clean hit!! And I don’t even pick the driver out of the bag anymore! When I first started and also for the years afterwards I had loads of lessons with the course pro, and to be fair to him minor things did improve and he got my grip sorted etc, however a lot got worse also. I felt I was paying a lot of money for 30 mins to have 20 mins of nicey nicey chat and 7 mins of lesson talk… the other 3 minutes were where he would regularly be late!! So I’ve avoided these for the past year!!

So I guess my question is, has anyone else found themselves in a similar position when starting out, and how did you figure out what was going wrong and start hitting the proper distances? I appreciate that there is no magic pill and it wont change overnight, but any help to get back on the right track would be awesome!

Hello, my names Steve, its my first post on this forum and I’m seeking advice! I’ve been playing (trying to) golf for around 3 years now on and off and I have been a member of the local 9-hole course for this amount of time also.

My problem is that I feel like I’ve never got better. Don’t get me wrong I probably don’t help the situation by falling in and out of love with the sport, as I have a good round and feel like I’ve cracked the code, to then play the next time and be the worst I’ve ever played!!!

I’m not sure what to do to improve my ability however. A lot of people say “just go and play… everyday.. as much as you can, that’s the only way to get better”. It doesn’t feel right though. It feels like I have fundamental issues with my golf swing. Example, went to the driving range today, every club goes 100 yards! Whether it’s a 9 iron, 7 iron, 5 iron, rescue (sometimes 125y) and my 3 wood reaches 125 yards with what I consider a clean hit!! And I don’t even pick the driver out of the bag anymore! When I first started and also for the years afterwards I had loads of lessons with the course pro, and to be fair to him minor things did improve and he got my grip sorted etc, however a lot got worse also. I felt I was paying a lot of money for 30 mins to have 20 mins of nicey nicey chat and 7 mins of lesson talk… the other 3 minutes were where he would regularly be late!! So I’ve avoided these for the past year!!

So I guess my question is, has anyone else found themselves in a similar position when starting out, and how did you figure out what was going wrong and start hitting the proper distances? I appreciate that there is no magic pill and it wont change overnight, but any help to get back on the right track would be awesome!

When I started out just a few years ago I went through 2 instructors before I found the right one. Once I found the right instructor we worked on changes to my swing vs. trying to teach me the perfect swing. And of course I practiced a lot after each lesson. I'm a lot better but still no where that I'd like to be. But then I'm very competitive and have high expectations.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Start with putting and chipping. It may sound silly but the best fundamentals are built on the shorter stroke.

Ultimately, you’ll need to find an instructor who speaks your language.

Be patient and keep working...and welcome to the forum!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

30 min lessons are pretty much useless for the large majority of golfers. As you mentioned very little time was spent on lesson stuff. Even if one got all 30 mins of the lesson it’s not enough time for the instructor to adjust to what that person is doing, feeling, what’s working or not. 

It sometimes takes time to find the right instructor.  Playing as much as possible without some good mechanics won’t make anyone better nor will practicing bad moves.

learning/understanding the swing is what’s needed

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Ultimately, you’ll need to find an instructor who speaks your language.
Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yup! Not all instructors are created equal. If they don't understand you or try to make it too complicated move on to the next one!  

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I us an app called technique its great to video tape and examine your swing.you can compare side by side with pro swings.start by comparing set ups ie hand position ball position what not and work back from there. The most important thingnfor distance other than ACTUALLY making a full shoulder turn over a full hip rotation is to make sure your left wrist(for righties) is atleast flat if not a la Ben Hogan and cupped down(knuckles down NOT up) at the top of your swing. It will feel very strange at first but you can not impact properly without this position. Hope it helps keep us informed of your progress

:adams-small: F11 Driver and 3 Wood 

:ping-small: I20 irons red dot -1/2 inch

:cleveland-small: Cg hybrid

:cleveland-small: Rtg wedges 54 56

:bridgestone-small:

18 hours ago, Bizzle87 said:

The easy answer says that you find a golf instructor you like and who actually understands how to help someone like yourself. I don't know your age but that could be a factor if you are not particularly young. Youth is key and important for many things in life. Golf is no exception. Doesn't mean that if you're old (50+) that you can't learn to play reasonably well. So, what are your expectations? Break 100? 90? 80? Is that realistic? From what you've written it doesn't sound like you've ever really "been on track" but would like to get on one. I assume you shoot above 100 most if not all the time. Most people do that are starting out or folks that only play off and on like yourself. Golf isn't a sport/game where you can improve with just a few lessons. Certainly not by occasionally playing. You'll need to become very dedicated to improving incrementally and after finding someone that provides proper instruction. There's always the possibility that Golf just isn't your thing. No shame in that. Golf isn't for everybody.

Best of luck.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I agree with all the others who suggest finding a pro that works for you. When I started out, I attempted self-teaching via YouTube. Big mistake. I then moved to a local pro who was highly recommended... and had my back constantly in spasms. It was terrible. 

Eventually I took a few lessons with a former club pro who had played on mini-tours before settling down. After 5 minutes of swinging, he asked me my goals and then proceeded to give me 3 tips that had me hitting the ball better than I ever had within a few range sessions. Those couple of hours I spent with him made a world of difference to me. Hopefully you can find someone who clicks with you also and makes things fun. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

You really need to find a pro that can communicate with you, and stick with him. I've had some bad lessons, until I found someone I clicked with.

As for time frame of getting better. I've been golfing for 10 year's avidly. I tried doing it on my own and engrained some bad habits that I had to work out of my swing. It has been a long process for me. Started out hitting high, spinny slices. Worked hard and learned to hit hook/draw. Now currently learning how to lessen the curvature of my hook into a nice draw. I've found that learning how to play and struggle with both an extreme left miss as well as a right miss has taught me how to neutralize my swing, producing playable golf shots.

If you don't have raw talent, and a natural swing, golf will take alot of time and dedication. But I can't think of anything better to do with my time, except flyfish.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Many thanks to all of you who have spent time in replying.

Just to go over a few points, i'm early 30s, shoot 100 - 110 most rounds, and really my only real goal is to be able to hit the course and shoot 90 comfortably and feel confident on course too. Rather than that feeling of hitting a creamer of a shot, strutting up to the next shot and shanking the bugger into the trees!! 

So I went to a new golf establishment today and talked to some pros about coaching, so will give them a go. got some great indoor equipment and good levels of golf experiance. Very tempted to fork out 1000 bucks for a year improvement course too!!

3 minutes ago, Bizzle87 said:

Many thanks to all of you who have spent time in replying.

Just to go over a few points, i'm early 30s, shoot 100 - 110 most rounds, and really my only real goal is to be able to hit the course and shoot 90 comfortably and feel confident on course too. Rather than that feeling of hitting a creamer of a shot, strutting up to the next shot and shanking the bugger into the trees!! 

So I went to a new golf establishment today and talked to some pros about coaching, so will give them a go. got some great indoor equipment and good levels of golf experiance. Very tempted to fork out 1000 bucks for a year improvement course too!!

I would be weary about dropping $1000 for a yearly commitment right out of the gate. If things click after a few lessons between you and the pro then consider it. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

54 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I would be weary about dropping $1000 for a yearly commitment right out of the gate. If things click after a few lessons between you and the pro then consider it. 

You are spot on, that was my thinking to have probably around 5 lessons with them first to make sure I can see a level of improvement and then commit if happy!

The one thing I would say is that I’d much rather invest 1000 smackers on lessons rather than 1000 smackeroonies on golf gear that I can’t use properly!! 

I’m currently using a bag of clubs that are made up of donations and eBay buys, taylormade RAC HL irons, Taylormade SLDR 3 wood, Yonex Driver and recovery and ping putter! 

Based on your comment of $1000 a year,  I am guessing GolfTec.   They are going to do a lot of things and measurements to try and get you into specific positions.   Not saying that is good or bad,  but that is their approach.   I would personally recommend you treat the first lesson like an interview,   have the pro look at your swing and get and explanation the approach that the pro thinks will make you better.  Communicate your goals and see where it goes.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

57 minutes ago, Bizzle87 said:

You are spot on, that was my thinking to have probably around 5 lessons with them first to make sure I can see a level of improvement and then commit if happy!

The one thing I would say is that I’d much rather invest 1000 smackers on lessons rather than 1000 smackeroonies on golf gear that I can’t use properly!! 

I’m currently using a bag of clubs that are made up of donations and eBay buys, taylormade RAC HL irons, Taylormade SLDR 3 wood, Yonex Driver and recovery and ping putter! 

I would maybe consider spending $1000 on both. It’s very quite possible that a reason for your struggle is poorly fitted equipment. Equipment should work with you and having poorly fitted equipment means you are trying to find a swing that you have to use to make the equipment and it’s not efficient.

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I would maybe consider spending $1000 on both. It’s very quite possible that a reason for your struggle is poorly fitted equipment. Equipment should work with you and having poorly fitted equipment means you are trying to find a swing that you have to use to make the equipment and it’s not efficient.

I'd personally start with a few lessons first, and then get fit. Your swing is guaranteed to change during the lessons, and it wouldn't do you any good to spend $1000 on custom fit equipment that doesn't fit after a month. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 hour ago, GB13 said:

I'd personally start with a few lessons first, and then get fit. Your swing is guaranteed to change during the lessons, and it wouldn't do you any good to spend $1000 on custom fit equipment that doesn't fit after a month. 

I didn’t say what order but since his plan is to take lessons then this is the logical order. 

Looks like a lot of people have already chimed in with good advice. Welcome to posting on the forum by the way. As someone who started this game as a 30 handicap I feel your pain.

Finding an instructor is like finding a doctor. They all know more than you, but they aren't all right for you. They work for you, if you aren't getting results find another. You should always ask questions and they should never be annoyed or not be able to give you a good explanation as to why. As you learn the why you will pick up on when things are wrong and they should teach you how to recognize and make adjustments on the course.

One of the best things I did was find a coach who also was my club fitter, so not only did get improve my technique, because he knew my game and my strengths and weaknesses he was able to help me build a bag that really maximized my strengths. He is brand agnostic and will bluntly tell me if he thinks a club is good or bad for me. If you can do that I would I recommend it.

It's a long journey, enjoy it, even during the bad times, always try to have fun and find joy in simply getting a little better.

I've been on the journey you're on, but it's your journey, don't compare yourself to your buddies, always compete against your former self. I'm down to a 12 handicap now. A spot that two years ago I couldn't have dreamed of, now my goal is to break 10.

You will get there, keep pushing. Enjoy the game, enjoy the people who play with you. Good luck my friend, find that instructor who really clicks with you and let them elevate your game.

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I'd agree. Take a lesson then go out and practice. Repeat.

Also you'll need to manage your expectations so you don't get frustrated. Going from 110 to 90 consistently is a pretty big jump.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Lots of great suggestions offered.  One thing I'll add is to ask around for a golf instructor that specializes in beginners.  Not that most (if not all) cannot teach from ground zero, but some probably spend so much time with students having advanced skills that they may not be the best choice.  I have instructed fly casting and found this to be true - just something to consider.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

When starting out, i went to the range 2 times a week and played once during the weekend.  I did this all summer.  I can say that repetition helps but if your fundamentals are off then you would have to begin trying new things.  I religiously watched Sean Clement on youtube.   Now you have even more content on there but youtube videos helped me try to figure out some tweaks. 

There are small tools you can purchase and hopefully not spend a lot of money on to help you. 

I've spent a lot of money on instructors over the last 11 years only to forget half the stuff and need more lessons to go over some of the same stuff.. So now I just go to the range and work on my issues. 

My advice is only work on 1 thing at a time. 

How's your ball flight?  If everything is going 100 yards.  Are they flying high or low or average?

:ping-small: G400 Max Driver

:taylormade-small:M2 5-Wood and 3 Hybrid (2017)

🅿️ ✖️ G (Missing logo) 0311P 4-AW

:titelist-small: SM7 50* and 56* Wedges

:callaway-small:px

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, Bizzle87 said:

Just to go over a few points, i'm early 30s, shoot 100 - 110 most rounds, and really my only real goal is to be able to hit the course and shoot 90 comfortably and feel confident on course too.

Honestly, I don't think you are doing that bad for being three years in.  Not that it isn't frustrating, but don't let that discourage you to the point of quitting.  Lots of good advice about lessons and instructors above, but if local instructors aren't working out have you thought about some self-learning?  There is plenty of free instruction resources available that it's very easy to record your swing and compare yourself against some "ideal swing" for lack of a better term.  Having learned the game pre-Internet access and golf lessons not in the budget, this was a staple in my learning.  My apologies for dipping into the archives of "back-in-my-day" ridiculousness, but back in my day that involved an actual video camera that used full-sized VHS tapes setup on a tripod at the driving range.  And we couldn't even watch the video until we got home.  Ok, I feel better!  Anyway, like another said, try to focus on one thing at a time.

Another tip that helped me:  I began tracking on my scorecard when I hit a fairway, hit a green in reg., take a penalty, and how many putts per hole.  For example, I hit a fairway...I mark an "F"; hit a green...mark a "G"; a penalty is a "P", etc.   Take notes even if you must.  After a few rounds, you might have some more insight into what needs more improvement.  By doing that, I found I hit a decent number of fairways, but generally hit only a few GIR so my approach game is weak. 

Good luck!

36 years next weekend and I still can’t swing either.

My advice is to check out some lessons. There are even ones online you can send your swing into.

I am a do it myself guy and it doesn’t work, I’ll admit. I know what to do, just don’t know how to make it happen. I can put a decent swing on the ball, but my potential is much higher then what I am getting in return right now.

If I weren’t so stubborn I’d take a few lessons.... but I watched a Butch/Tiger video a while back and it took the best golfer in the world over a year of hard work and under the close eye of a great coach to make the improvements he wanted.

Good luck, and most of all enjoy the game.

I'm 25 years in. I usually score in the low 80's -  high 70's..... way more in the 80's...lol. I can't swing for s**t. I just use what I have. Some days it works, some days it doesn't. 

Unless you are hell bent on being the best you can be.... just enjoy your time on the course with your friends or the solitude of playing by yourself. Golf is a great game.... and a great teacher.

I'm 25 years in. I usually score in the low 80's -  high 70's..... way more in the 80's...lol. I can't swing for s**t. I just use what I have. Some days it works, some days it doesn't. 

Unless you are hell bent on being the best you can be.... just enjoy your time on the course with your friends or the solitude of playing by yourself. Golf is a great game.... and a great teacher.

The ultimate test. No better game around. You vs the course, like a giant chess game.

Hello Bizzle87:

Welcome to the world of Golf!

I have been playing golf for almost 30 years and I am still researching and learning and improving a little bit at a time.

I finally wrote my own golfStrggle.com to share I have been learning among fellow golfers.  We,Golfers do struggle, but we do make a improvement and get a lot of fun and joy!

First, we have to master some basics and fundamentals for playing a fairly decent golf game such as:

Grip, swing plane (extremely important), swing path, very calm swing with enough power, back swing to the top and to down-swing to contact to extension to finish...

Entire journey of whole swing - start to end...

It should not be that difficult, but if you want to play a consistent mid 80's or low 80's, Yes that would be difficult.

Again, please spend some time and quality time on the basics, get sound posture, break down whole golf swing into some components.  Just banging and banging at driving range will not (WILL NOT) help! 

Golf is the wonderful game of sport, and I really think this is one of the best sport because it requires a constant thinking and analysis.  And it requires patience. 

I hope you will improve your golf swing a lot in this season, and keep plugging!!

Thanks.

Be Simple and Consistent.  Keep Basics.  Be more forgiving.  Be in Total Control.

Sincerely,

danielS

Many years ago I played with a co-worker who had the same problem with his iron shots going the same distance. I didn’t appreciate how severe the problem was until he lined up three balls on a short par three, and hit them with his 6, 7 and 8 irons. All three were on the green, two were pin high on opposite sides of the hole and the third was about 8 feet short. All three were within about a 15 foot radius.

It was such a unique experience it has stuck in my mind ever since. What was unique about Andy’s swing was that the arc of his swing was a narrow parabula that was nearly V shape. I was thinking the sharp change of angle at the bottom of the arc must have deaccellerated the club head sharply. This might have accounted for the constrained distance.

The other characteristics of Andy’s swing were an upright body posture. With this upright posture he had to widen his stance to get the club head behind the ball to avoid topping it. The wide stance might have contributed to his swing having very  little body rotation. His swing was all arms, and reminded me of someone trying to chop wood, not swing a golf club.

Could you have something similar going on on the bad days? You might take a video of your swing and try doing a bit of analysis yourself. Self awareness of your swing coupled with a limited number of lessons from an instructor you can trust will help. Don’t be surprised if you have to rebuild your swing from the ground up.

Of course my guess of what may be the issue could be completely wrong. Regardless, your only 3 years in on what could be something you pursue for the rest of your life. While your swing will change overtime, get a club fitting, including the putter if you are serious about improving and use the ball that is right for you. Good luck.

On 5/4/2019 at 3:13 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

30 min lessons are pretty much useless for the large majority of golfers. As you mentioned very little time was spent on lesson stuff. Even if one got all 30 mins of the lesson it’s not enough time for the instructor to adjust to what that person is doing, feeling, what’s working or not. 

It sometimes takes time to find the right instructor.  Playing as much as possible without some good mechanics won’t make anyone better nor will practicing bad moves.

learning/understanding the swing is what’s needed

I respectfully disagree with this  (on a half hour being too short). Usually in a lesson there is really only one or two things an instructor will focus on with you, which is as it should be. There's no need for an hour. What there is a need for, that most instructors don't do is video tape the lesson and send a copy to the student. We forget so much that is told to us during a lesson this should be standard practice. A half hour would be plenty then and the student could review at his hearts content and go over all the stuff he missed or forgot during the lesson. There is no cost barrier for teachers to do this, a cheep camera and a few mics will run you less than $150.00. They just mostly choose not to do this for some weird reason.

I know some instructors do this but it's far from the majority. I think online lessons with a really good instructor is a way better value for this reason. Just my 2 cents.

I agree totally that it might take time to find a good instructor. I suggest never buying a "package" of lessons until you are sure they're great. Even then I'd hesitate as I've seen some instructors lose their enthusiasm once they get paid.

:titelist-small: 917 D2 - 10.5 

:ping-small: G 5 wood

:ping-small: G 7 wood

:ping-small: G400 4 Hybrid

:ping-small: G400 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Apex PW-6I - Recoil shafts

:Hogan: Equalizer SW 

:callaway-small: MacDaddy C Grind 60 Degree Lob Wedge

Tommy Armour Impact #3 Mallet

6 hours ago, FromRightToLeft said:

I respectfully disagree with this  (on a half hour being too short). Usually in a lesson there is really only one or two things an instructor will focus on with you, which is as it should be. There's no need for an hour. What there is a need for, that most instructors don't do is video tape the lesson and send a copy to the student. We forget so much that is told to us during a lesson this should be standard practice. A half hour would be plenty then and the student could review at his hearts content and go over all the stuff he missed or forgot during the lesson. There is no cost barrier for teachers to do this, a cheep camera and a few mics will run you less than $150.00. They just mostly choose not to do this for some weird reason.

I know some instructors do this but it's far from the majority. I think online lessons with a really good instructor is a way better value for this reason. Just my 2 cents.

I agree totally that it might take time to find a good instructor. I suggest never buying a "package" of lessons until you are sure they're great. Even then I'd hesitate as I've seen some instructors lose their enthusiasm once they get paid.

I don’t know of an instructor who doesn’t use video these days and many use apps to share the videos and notes with their students.

I have done 30 min lessons and got nothing out of them and talked with a couple instructors about doing them and the ones I talked to won’t do them because it’s not long enough. 

i took a lesson on Saturday and at an hour it was over before I knew it and we only worked on two things and the lesson was full of videos. 

I don’t know of an instructor who doesn’t use video these days and many use apps to share the videos and notes with their students.
I have done 30 min lessons and got nothing out of them and talked with a couple instructors about doing them and the ones I talked to won’t do them because it’s not long enough. 
i took a lesson on Saturday and at an hour it was over before I knew it and we only worked on two things and the lesson was full of videos. 

The length of a lesson is based on what the student needs or is trying to accomplish. Had a discussion with an instructor I have been considering. He prefers to do a yearly type contract where you work on your game. A “lesson” may last 5 minutes or 1 1/2 hours. He feels that approach benefits a player more than one off lessons. The trial lesson I did with him was about 30 minutes which included my hitting shots for him to evaluate what I was doing. We worked on a single change that I picked up in only a few minutes. I saw some video but that was to illustrate what we were trying to correct.

All of the above is irrelevant to another golfer because you may need more or less time based on your level and how much change you are making.

Just my opinion.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The length of a lesson is based on what the student needs or is trying to accomplish. Had a discussion with an instructor I have been considering. He prefers to do a yearly type contract where you work on your game. A “lesson” may last 5 minutes or 1 1/2 hours. He feels that approach benefits a player more than one off lessons. The trial lesson I did with him was about 30 minutes which included my hitting shots for him to evaluate what I was doing. We worked on a single change that I picked up in only a few minutes. I saw some video but that was to illustrate what we were trying to correct.

All of the above is irrelevant to another golfer because you may need more or less time based on your level and how much change you are making.

Just my opinion.

The yearly commitment is a good idea. I did something similar with one of the instructors I’ve used for a lot of my lessons. I like the idea and like you mention length of time could vary per person I think the same goes for how long progress can be made with an instructor/coach. Some have the ability to get students to a certain level but won’t be able to take them to their full potential. 

As for the length of each lesson we are roughly on the same page. Goal of player and coach will be dependent on where student is and where they want to go. The instructors I talked to don’t like the 30 minute because most students need more than that. There’s some students that are going to practice and put in the work between lessons and thus many times they have to revisit past lessons work before making any further progress, if they do lesson packages it’s minimum of 45 minutes for 4-5 lessons.