Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

3 years in and still cant swing!

35 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The length of a lesson is based on what the student needs or is trying to accomplish. Had a discussion with an instructor I have been considering. He prefers to do a yearly type contract where you work on your game. A “lesson” may last 5 minutes or 1 1/2 hours. He feels that approach benefits a player more than one off lessons. The trial lesson I did with him was about 30 minutes which included my hitting shots for him to evaluate what I was doing. We worked on a single change that I picked up in only a few minutes. I saw some video but that was to illustrate what we were trying to correct.

All of the above is irrelevant to another golfer because you may need more or less time based on your level and how much change you are making.

Just my opinion.

I like this approach when a person needs to remake a swing or needs a lot of improvement for many issues.  However, it will only work if the person commits to a program.  Most don't.  Getting a lesson without a bunch of practice between lessons doesn't engrain the change.  Life gets in the way, and people go play golf and will revert to old habits almost immediately.

Another problem is that a lesson might be a band-aid for an issue but doesn't get to the root of the problem.  Several band-aids later, the person doesn't have a clue about what a good swing is.  

For this yearly contract, how often are the lessons?  Every week?  Whenever you want or think you need a lesson?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I like this approach when a person needs to remake a swing or needs a lot of improvement for many issues.  However, it will only work if the person commits to a program.  Most don't.  Getting a lesson without a bunch of practice between lessons doesn't engrain the change.  Life gets in the way, and people go play golf and will revert to old habits almost immediately.
Another problem is that a lesson might be a band-aid for an issue but doesn't get to the root of the problem.  Several band-aids later, the person doesn't have a clue about what a good swing is.  
For this yearly contract, how often are the lessons?  Every week?  Whenever you want or think you need a lesson?

To answer your last question. How ever often you want a lesson. I am sure there are some limitations that I didn’t get into as I probably won’t go that route. I am more of a take a series of a few lessons to tighten up my swing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

For the pro I worked with he had a couple programs and the price was slightly different.

he had 3,6&12 month programs with options for 2x/mo or 4x. He was accessible via email/app in between 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 5/15/2019 at 3:39 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t know of an instructor who doesn’t use video these days and many use apps to share the videos and notes with their students.

I have done 30 min lessons and got nothing out of them and talked with a couple instructors about doing them and the ones I talked to won’t do them because it’s not long enough. 

i took a lesson on Saturday and at an hour it was over before I knew it and we only worked on two things and the lesson was full of videos. 

Hi there. Yes they all use video but did you get a copy of your lesson with audio at the end emailed to you? That's what I was saying, that every student should get a copy of the full lesson at the end of it. Did your coach do that?

:titelist-small: 917 D2 - 10.5 

:ping-small: G 5 wood

:ping-small: G 7 wood

:ping-small: G400 4 Hybrid

:ping-small: G400 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Apex PW-6I - Recoil shafts

:Hogan: Equalizer SW 

:callaway-small: MacDaddy C Grind 60 Degree Lob Wedge

Tommy Armour Impact #3 Mallet

Hi there. Yes they all use video but did you get a copy of your lesson with audio at the end emailed to you? That's what I was saying, that every student should get a copy of the full lesson at the end of it. Did your coach do that?

That will be lesson dependent. My last lesson we walked to the 18th hole and hit pitch shots from all over. The instructor was watching me and only used video to make a few points. I have had video lessons is the past and never went back and looked at them. Video is a great tool to make points but people learn differently and seeing something on a video won’t always be beneficial. I don’t think we can make blanket statements that an instructor should always provide a video with audio commentary. I have had lesson videos with audio commentary back in the days of VHS tape. To be effective with the video the student will have to have the ability to video themselves and compare side by side.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That will be lesson dependent. My last lesson we walked to the 18th hole and hit pitch shots from all over. The instructor was watching me and only used video to make a few points. I have had video lessons is the past and never went back and looked at them. Video is a great tool to make points but people learn differently and seeing something on a video won’t always be beneficial. I don’t think we can make blanket statements that an instructor should always provide a video with audio commentary. I have had lesson videos with audio commentary back in the days of VHS tape. To be effective with the video the student will have to have the ability to video themselves and compare side by side.

Fair enough that everyone leans differently but you certainly don't need to compare video's to get value out of what I'm saying. If a coach is explaining something you aren't clear on or forget what he said, it's really valuable to go back and look at the video. The only video I've been sent was when I took some online lessons. I went back and got something new out of them several times. Things I forgot, especially over time.

I can't see why you would argue against getting a video of your full lesson? (Also I'm not saying that they should edit in audio commentary. I'm saying the coach and the student should be mic'd for the lesson. This means no editing which would cost time/money.) In your case I guess you wouldn't use it but it literally costs them next to nothing to do and lots of us would. It's a no brainier to include in a lesson and should be standard practice imo. Or at least give us the option. I can't see how getting a video of the lesson your just paid $100 or whatever for would be a negative.

* I also don't recommend getting a package of lessons of paying for a year in advance unless you are very, very sure about the coach. I've seen teachers enthusiasm fall off once they get paid up front for future lessons. Again I know this isn't all, but it's worth being cautious, especially if you don't know the instructor. 

2 hours ago, FromRightToLeft said:

Fair enough that everyone leans differently but you certainly don't need to compare video's to get value out of what I'm saying. If a coach is explaining something you aren't clear on or forget what he said, it's really valuable to go back and look at the video. The only video I've been sent was when I took some online lessons. I went back and got something new out of them several times. Things I forgot, especially over time.

I can't see why you would argue against getting a video of your full lesson? (Also I'm not saying that they should edit in audio commentary. I'm saying the coach and the student should be mic'd for the lesson. This means no editing which would cost time/money.) In your case I guess you wouldn't use it but it literally costs them next to nothing to do and lots of us would. It's a no brainier to include in a lesson and should be standard practice imo. Or at least give us the option. I can't see how getting a video of the lesson your just paid $100 or whatever for would be a negative.

* I also don't recommend getting a package of lessons of paying for a year in advance unless you are very, very sure about the coach. I've seen teachers enthusiasm fall off once they get paid up front for future lessons. Again I know this isn't all, but it's worth being cautious, especially if you don't know the instructor. 

Everyone I’ve gone to or talked to do because they use a coaching app (v1, hudl, Coach now). They either do a video recap, video of your swing with voice over talking about the lesson, sing thoughts, etc, notes to go with the recap or some combo of them.

student being mic’d Is debatable. Most struggle when the red light goes on and putting a mic on them or having voice recorded may add to the nerves.

imo how the pro wants to do things and what the student wants need to be discussed before they start working together to ensure both are on same page. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Not arguing against video or providing video. I just don’t consider it a requirement for a lesson or something that an instructor has to provide. If you want video of your lesson tell the instructor, see if video is included with the lesson, or if there is additional cost. You also discuss online lessons where video is mandatory since there isn’t an interactive discussion. I do video with my putting instructor since we work online.

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Everyone I’ve gone to or talked to do because they use a coaching app (v1, hudl, Coach now). They either do a video recap, video of your swing with voice over talking about the lesson, sing thoughts, etc, notes to go with the recap or some combo of them.

student being mic’d Is debatable. Most struggle when the red light goes on and putting a mic on them or having voice recorded may add to the nerves.

imo how the pro wants to do things and what the student wants need to be discussed before they start working together to ensure both are on same page. 

That's awesome they used that app or a video recap. None of the coaches I've ever seen used either. I don't think mic'ing the student would cause nerves as it's only them that would be seeing the video. I see zero downside to recording it.

• 1 year later...

Read it somewhere from golf.danggizmos.com golfer shouldn't look at the target,

it's more like dancing with your surrounding and make the hit, just like a baseball player hitting the ball on its sweetest spot to make home run.

It doesn't always happen but they enjoy every swing and it's all that counts.

I work with a certain technique one at a time and still enjoying golfing.

Having not read what everyone's said, I would say half hour lessons are fine. You don't want too many thoughts streaming in at once. That said, sure you can go to a range or local track for a half hour lesson but what you end up with, in my opinion are "golf tips". You don't get the full benefit of working with that pro over a period of time. 

I would say get evaluated by someone first, in a studio and come up with a plan - long or short term. Strength and injury prevention as well. There's a lot of technology out there, you might as well take advantage of it if you can. It should get you to where you know what to practice on rather than just beating balls, waisting your time. And depending on how much work you put into it, I would say you'll see a huge difference in less than a year.  

....all my opinion from experience. 

Edit: Okay went back and read some comments. Pretty much saying what I have. 

Good luck OP, sounds like you got this. 

Edited by nofives

Titliest TSi 3

Sub 70 3 Tour

Titliest Ap2

Cameron Newport 2 @ 2008 model. 

After college started playing golf, took lessons from a recommended local pro who came out in pink Lacoste outfit. In between insults and smiles to member 40-something females he set-up my swing.  I bought better golf clubs, started playing in summer after work league.  Then nothing in quality of golf except started practicing putting.  A year later on driving range noticed golfer next to me - not sweating at all, me dripping.  Started to emulate his swing, tempo with what I learned from lesson.  With Zen visualization putting.  Now 24 -30 months into golf and broke 90,  a week later then broke 80.

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago