TESTERS WANTED! ×

Low hdcp’ers are punished

Sluggo42

So...

why do I start very story with “so...”? 

So anyways, me and my buddy team up to play in the monthly club tourney. He’s a 4, and I’m a 5. We both shoot a 76 and were like 15 strokes away from the winners. They’re hi cappers, who seem to have a good round every time money’s on the line.

so what’s the point of even playing in these events? The low cappers never win crap.there is no room for any bad shots period. You can shoot scratch on a tough track and still lose by 10.

there needs to be a different process. I know it’s supposed to be “fair”, but it’s not fair for the low cappers. We never win. Even when we shoot well, it’s never even close.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

9 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

So...

why do I start very story with “so...”? 

So anyways, me and my buddy team up to play in the monthly club tourney. He’s a 4, and I’m a 5. We both shoot a 76 and were like 15 strokes away from the winners. They’re hi cappers, who seem to have a good round every time money’s on the line.

so what’s the point of even playing in these events? The low cappers never win crap.there is no room for any bad shots period. You can shoot scratch on a tough track and still lose by 10.

there needs to be a different process. I know it’s supposed to be “fair”, but it’s not fair for the low cappers. We never win. Even when we shoot well, it’s never even close.

This is why I don’t play in those events...,and I never play anyone for money unless it is straight up

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

I wonder how it could be adjusted... I mean, the low cap guys need a higher stroke payoff or something. It’s obviously a flawed system and it seems something should be able to be done to even it out. It it were fair, the scores would be closer...

I also tend to stay away from those kind of events for that very reason. I've seen guys sandbag their scores to run their handicap up so when it comes to cash on the line they pull out their real game.

When cash is on the line, it should be score vs score, no handicap!

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

1 hour ago, Sluggo42 said:

it seems something should be able to be done to even it out

I've played in a lot of tournaments where they broke out the guys by HCP into A and B players (maybe for this reason). Maybe you could suggest to the tournament organizer to break it out in a way that makes sense for your club. Could also scale the money higher for low gross in the top tier.

Driver: :ping-small: G with Alta 55 stiff shaft, the 9° version but adjusted to 10° degrees

3 Wood: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: XR Project X 6.0 stiff shaft 

Irons: :cobra-small: Fly-Z 4-9 with stock stiff steel shafts

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54°, and 58° Dynamic Gold steel shafts

Putter: Testing :odyssey-small: EXO 7S 34" Standard Lie, Black Shaft, Odyssey SuperStroke Mid-Slim 2.0 grip

In team events the USGA recommends that players only receive 80% of their handicap for this very reason. As handicaps climb the amount of outlier scores two very high handicap partners are capable of shooting increases dramatically. 80% of 1 is still a 1 but a 25 loses 5 strokes in that scenario.
Another commonly used option is a team max handicap, usually 36 or 40.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I totally agree with the OP. I’m a high handicapper that gets 2 shots on most holes.I’ve played in many events like this.And the better player never stands a chance.Golf should be lowest score wins.If you aren’t competitive enough with your current game.Than work your tail off to improve.I personally think golf should never have a handicap system.

Keep it in the short stuff

10 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

so what’s the point of even playing in these events

Sluggo. You answered your own question. At a minimum your club should Flight these so called tournaments. That way you'd most likely be in the Championship flight. I've only rarely seen some fool reverse sandbag their way into championship flight. The Championship Flight and perhaps the next flight under that are the only ones basically sandbag free. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Every club tournament should be set up to benefit all players. There's no reason the tournament committee cannot set the tournament that makes it fair and competitive to all players. Flights, gross and net awards, etc. My club does this all the time. Yes, there are cheaters. Every club has them and every member knows who they are.

Our club hosts the largest amateur match play tournament west of the rockies. Flighted by handicap and qualifying round, participants go head to head. I typically get hosed here by shooting a low qualifying round and getting put in the championship flight against scratch golfers. I'll get beat first round and go to consolidate first flight whee in now competing with the other first round losers. Fun tournament

Our club championship is also flighted and offers both gross and net opportunities for each flight. For net purposes, you'll only get a percentage of your handicap. Everyone compete against similar skill level players and everyone has fun and can be as competetive as they can.

Point is that tournaments need to take everything into account and set the rules to maximize the goal of the tournament.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Yeah, two players shooting 76 and being that far out is nuts.  The statistics on low net simply does not favor the single digit players - even if everyone has an honest handicap.  I think the two flights idea would go a long way to leveling the odds.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I don't think I would like an event where winnings are awarded only for low net scores. I agree that sounds like a recipe for frustration and arguments. I've only played where there are both gross and net score winnings plus added challenges like closest to the pin, longest drive, split the chip-in pot, skins, etc. And it is not often that anyone but the best players win these challenges. It all seems to even out over time.

I'm playing in a ladies tournament this week that does not use any handicaps in an effort to eliminate the sandbag issue. After play (2-person scramble) is complete, flights (6-8 teams in a flight) are created according to gross scores for that round only. You never know what flight you will be in.

In our regular $10 weekend games (12 - 30 players), a chip-in wins more than low gross because everyone must pay each chip-in achiever an extra $1. On top of that, when we finish, we are paired with a blind draw partner for a combined score. If we have cheaters who join us, they are simply not invited to return.

My winnings seems to be in cycles. My playing will improve and I will at least be close to winning something for a few weeks. As a result my handicap decreases and I don't win anything for a while. Then the cycle repeats. Still, I'm a high handicapper and don't win often. Instead I focus on having fun and playing in a variety of formats.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

Wait until you play a 31 that shoots 84.....gross. Made the turn at -3 and was 5 down. Or a 12 that shoots 70...barely made the back 9. Main reason I don’t play any net events. My first club tournament this year will be the club championship. Actually that will be my only tournament at my club this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

The OGA (Oregon GolfAssoc) keeps your 2 lowest tournament scores as part of your handicap good 1 year. Maybe they need to be more aggressive with tournament scores when computing someone's handicap. On a similar note, I have a friend whose handicap became restricted because he went from a 6 handicap to a 12 in a short period of time. In his case, it was a medical issue and not cheating. But, it shows they do watch it. I just don't think they watch it closely enough

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

3 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

Wait until you play a 31 that shoots 84.....gross. Made the turn at -3 and was 5 down. Or a 12 that shoots 70...barely made the back 9. Main reason I don’t play any net events. My first club tournament this year will be the club championship. Actually that will be my only tournament at my club this year.

Now that is PAINFUL!

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

5 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

Now I remember why I’m not a competitive player...

thats just brutal..

Now I remember why I’m not a competitive player...
thats just brutal..

Apparently at scratch I am not a competitive player either.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I played an interclub match a couple years ago against a 14, i was giving 9 strokes on the match, I made the turn 3 up, and lost the match on 16, I lost 5 holes on the back 9 with a par. I made par on 5 holes out of 7 played, and lost all of them. He shot 36 on the back 9, even par. As a 14 Hcp. Sand bagging dude is what he was. I love competitive matches, but I don’t love the cheating that comes along with it. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I playing in a flighted tournament once.  Basically, you went out and shot a score on day 1.  Then, they flighted the event based on your day 1 score.  On day 2, if you improved by 9 or more strokes, you were bumped up a flight.  Guy in my group on day 2 is 14 shots better than day 1 going into the last hole.  He proceeds to purposely tank the hole so he isn't bumped up...  I think he 8 or 9 putted and bragged about it.  

Cheaters will always find a way to cheat...  no matter what you do to try and stop them.  

On another note...  I once played an event and shot 36 on the front.  Some of my best golf ever...  then proceeded to come home in 50.  I hit several giant slice drives, chunks, tops, etc.  It was ugly.  Still finished 2nd in my flight with an 86.  Several guys in the group wanted to say I was a cheater but my playing partners stuck up for me because they could absolutely tell I hadn't done it on purpose.    

• Driver:  Cobra LTDx Max
  • 5 wood, 7 wood:  Cobra Speedzone
  • 5 hybrid: Callaway Forged CB 24*
  • Irons: Sub 70 699 (6), 659MB Raw (7-PW)
  • Wedges: Sub70 286 50*, Edel 55*, 60*
  • Putter:  PXG Bat Attack

Hail Southern and no place else!!  

I don’t play for money. I never trust any tournaments with big prizes or cash. I’ve seen scrambles where teams have been 15, 16 under and can’t sniff a thing. People do weird things for money and I’m not into donating to a cheater’s pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

It’s not that low handicappers are punished it’s simply the way it works. Head to head a low handicapper has an advantage because he or show will shoot his handicap more consistently.

However once you have an unflighted or open event with full handicaps some mid to high handicap player is bound to catch fire and a low cap doesn’t stand a chance.

If it’s the same mid to high handicapper that’s always winning he’s cheating but if it’s different ones it’s exactly what you’d expect.

It is what it is under the current system - I figured this one out 35 years ago and have been selective about the types of tournaments that I’ve entered or managed my expectations ever since.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 5/6/2019 at 2:58 AM, Kor.A.Door said:

I played an interclub match a couple years ago against a 14, i was giving 9 strokes on the match, I made the turn 3 up, and lost the match on 16, I lost 5 holes on the back 9 with a par. I made par on 5 holes out of 7 played, and lost all of them. He shot 36 on the back 9, even par. As a 14 Hcp. Sand bagging dude is what he was. I love competitive matches, but I don’t love the cheating that comes along with it. 

A bit of controversy. I've been that guy in the past that you beat a player and they say to me you don't play of 14 and grumble all the way back to the clubhouse and it takes the shine of what could have been a great round. Matchplay is so much a mental game, you can have a bad hole and it is totally reset on the next tee, I get more aggressive on my putts.

Anyway I'm off tonight to play 1st round tie against a 2 handicapper giving me 5 strokes, wish me luck.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I was a guest of my brother in law last year for his invitational. It was refreshing to hear how they’ve banned several guests from visiting clubs for embellishing their handicaps. It’s a start but you’ll never cure those without integrity.

My reputation is worth a heck of a lot more than a piece of gaudy crystal and a couple thousand bucks.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

My reputation is worth a heck of a lot more than a piece of gaudy crystal and a couple thousand bucks.

There's no way that I could deal with myself knowing that other golfers looked at me as a cheater.  How do these guys live with themselves?   It's quite sad that people think so little of themselves that they actually brag about keeping their handicap high and then keep winning when it matters.  We have one guy at our club, that I outright call a cheater to his face and he just laughs it off and brags about his next  (net) win.  <SMH>   Goes out and plays with his wife and shoots 105.  Goes out to play with side wagers (or tournaments) and shoots 84.  This is a subject that really pisses me off, so I'll stop now before I say too much.  🙂

4 hours ago, bens197 said:

I was a guest of my brother in law last year for his invitational. It was refreshing to hear how they’ve banned several guests from visiting clubs for embellishing their handicaps. It’s a start but you’ll never cure those without integrity.

There was a infamous couple that played the Mixed Open circuit in the UK. They would play their required 3 handicap qualifiers in the year to validate their handicaps then play Opens. Because it is doubles they would win the Open and  not be cut. They cleared up for 5 years until they started to banned and were blackballed. 

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

There was a infamous couple that played the Mixed Open circuit in the UK. They would play their required 3 handicap qualifiers in the year to validate their handicaps then play Opens. Because it is doubles they would win the Open and  not be cut. They cleared up for 5 years until they started to banned and were blackballed. 

Cheaters justice.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

There's no way that I could deal with myself knowing that other golfers looked at me as a cheater.  How do these guys live with themselves?   It's quite sad that people think so little of themselves that they actually brag about keeping their handicap high and then keep winning when it matters.  We have one guy at our club, that I outright call a cheater to his face and he just laughs it off and brags about his next  (net) win.     Goes out and plays with his wife and shoots 105.  Goes out to play with side wagers (or tournaments) and shoots 84.  This is a subject that really pisses me off, so I'll stop now before I say too much. 

They’re everywhere. Every. Single. Club.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

I just had an email exchange today with a “buddy” that wanted me to play his member guest. He asked what my odds were of getting my handicap up to a solid 6 or 7 so we can compete. I said not a shot if I want to play golf at my club and politely declined his invitation as I suddenly had other things to do that week. I show up at my club and say I am getting six pops when I get to the first tee and I will be banned from any club event for life.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond