TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is it worth me playing a better urethane ball

Hey folks,

Really loved the recent MGS ball test, it's certainly been an eye opener, having played Taylormade Burner balls (soft compression) it certainly made me re-think my ball choice.  I wanted to try a urethane covered ball so went with AD333 Tour's, they perform well with good distance drives and I think than the burners (thin the burners are 60, the tours are 70 something).

I was hoping for a bit more on approach shots to the green, I'm not talking about the ball spinning back but at least getting a little check, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Now I'm a higher handicapper (21) and I would say driver swing speed is probably 90ish, I'm going to guess that the lack of check is down to my technique rather than the ball, with that in mind I've got two questions.

1.Am I going to be just as well off playing a ionomer covered ball and playing it to run out a little?  Sometimes I won't lose a ball other days I'll lose two or three, In the UK urethane balls are going to cost around double what an ionomer ball will.

2.Based on the MGS test a soft ball is a slow ball, do I still want to be looking for something up towards that 100 compression mark regardless of whether I go ionomer or urethane?

I'm in the UK so that determines some of the balls that are available to me.

Thanks for your time.

As I was reading your comment I was thinking about the MG Tour C4. $19.95/dz. However, I doubt shipping to the UK makes sense. Another one I might suggest is the TaylorMade Project A which is probably available worldwide. I think any moderately priced ball with a urethane cover will suit your game and you'd enjoy the performance. Check out the Good category in the recent ball test.

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

As I was reading your comment I was thinking about the MG Tour C4. $19.95/dz. However, I doubt shipping to the UK makes sense. Another one I might suggest is the TaylorMade Project A which is probably available worldwide. I think any moderately priced ball with a urethane cover will suit your game and you'd enjoy the performance. Check out the Good category in the recent ball test.

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

I switched to Project A a month ago. They worked well around the green for me as you'd expect from a urethane ball,  but I lost a lot of distance off the tee. So going back to V1x. It all depends on what you're looking for  and your price point.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Are you able to get Vice Pro? I'm also in Europe so a lot of the US deals and prices don't apply to us (Snell for example).

Interestingly enough, I lose urethane balls much faster than ionomer balls off the tee, but on approach and around the greens the difference is night and day (currently going through lessons).

So it all depends how much you want to spend.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

45 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

Are you able to get Vice Pro? I'm also in Europe so a lot of the US deals and prices don't apply to us (Snell for example).

Interestingly enough, I lose urethane balls much faster than ionomer balls off the tee, but on approach and around the greens the difference is night and day (currently going through lessons).

So it all depends how much you want to spend.

Are they more wayward off the tee then?

I think this is my point, I can get urethane for £20 a dozen, but that's double ionomer and I'm not really seeing a benefit. 

I’ve shot in the 70’s 16 times in my life. All but one of those rounds I was using 2 piece non urethane balls. Mostly with Top Flite D2 Feel or Wilson Duo golf balls. My best round ever was with the Srixon Z Star. After the MGS test I’m sticking to the Z Star for two reasons, the ball test got into my head and I am confident I am getting a very consistent golf ball.

Whatever you do I think you adjust to the ball you are playing and most importantly per the testing, find one ball and stick with it.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 hour ago, Hazza said:

Are they more wayward off the tee then?

I think this is my point, I can get urethane for £20 a dozen, but that's double ionomer and I'm not really seeing a benefit. 

I can't tell you whether it's because of the ball or my swing. What if the day I used ionomer I had the best driving day ever?

But I can certainly tell you that my short game benefits from the extra stopping power around the greens.

FWIW, I've shot my personal best 83 twice with urethane balls.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Getting stopping power on the green has several aspects. Technique, ball flight characteristics which gets back to technique a bit but also cleanliness of ball and grooves to impart spin, green conditions...ball also comes into play. I’ve seen Surlyn balls stop easily on a green even out of a bunker but a urethane ball will be easier even is some of the conditions above aren’t there

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Seems pretty consistent that people think a urethane would be better even if I've not got the best technique. I'm not going to pay more than £20 a dozen though due to the loss rate. Could try out the inesis balls. 

My SS is actually a mph or less than yours.  And I 100% can tell the difference around the green between a quality urethane ball (ProVX or Oncore Elixr) vs a Surlyn cover. 

Well executed chips and pitches are night and day.  Even less than perfect strikes which I certainly have-- the Urethane may roll out  a little but the Surlyn will roll well off the green. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I would agree that a urethane ball would be better and I hope you can find one that works for you, both in price and performance.  Just yesterday I got the chance to play a Kirkland and an MG, neither of which I had played before.  Both were surprisingly good considering their inexpensive price points.  I'm a high handicapper as well, but I can definitely identify a performance improvement with a urethane ball.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I was playing the free sleeve of OnCore Elixers until I lost them and really liked them. To me, they seemed as good as anything else I have played. I don't know how easy they are to get in Europe, but might be worth it.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I play Snell MTB Black and have used Vise Pro, Pro V1, TaylorMade Penta 5 and they're all great.  Some more expensive than others.  I tend to stay with a urethane cover as I like the softer feel ..  Vise and Snell are a great bang for your buck.  You can probably get your hands on Visa balls.  I believe they have a urethane ball as well as an ionomer ball so you can test some of theirs.  While cost can be a factor, if one ball is going to give you better (noticeable) results, then the price might be worth it.  A lot of Golf stores here in the US have started doing Golf Ball Fittings.  Maybe you can try that.  Test various balls on a simulator or Trackman, and see what gives you the best distance (and hopefully lowest dispersion) off the tee and some good spin numbers with lower irons/wedges.  

Maybe the fitting is not available.  In that case, I would say try 9 holes in the afternoon when it's not so busy and play 3 different high compression balls off the tee on a few holes and log the results.  Also, try from inside 100 yards and see which ball has the desired reaction on the green.   

:ping-small: G400 Max Driver

:taylormade-small:M2 5-Wood and 3 Hybrid (2017)

🅿️ ✖️ G (Missing logo) 0311P 4-AW

:titelist-small: SM7 50* and 56* Wedges

:callaway-small:px

3 minutes ago, jestrella18 said:

I play Snell MTB Black and have used Vise Pro, Pro V1, TaylorMade Penta 5 and they're all great.  Some more expensive than others.  I tend to stay with a urethane cover as I like the softer feel ..  Vise and Snell are a great bang for your buck.  You can probably get your hands on Visa balls.  I believe they have a urethane ball as well as an ionomer ball so you can test some of theirs.  While cost can be a factor, if one ball is going to give you better (noticeable) results, then the price might be worth it.  A lot of Golf stores here in the US have started doing Golf Ball Fittings.  Maybe you can try that.  Test various balls on a simulator or Trackman, and see what gives you the best distance (and hopefully lowest dispersion) off the tee and some good spin numbers with lower irons/wedges.  

Maybe the fitting is not available.  In that case, I would say try 9 holes in the afternoon when it's not so busy and play 3 different high compression balls off the tee on a few holes and log the results.  Also, try from inside 100 yards and see which ball has the desired reaction on the green.   

Above what number would you consider to be high compression?

2 minutes ago, Hazza said:

Above what number would you consider to be high compression?

I'd say anything 90 or higher is high compression.  I really like the Snell MTB Black which has about 80 compression.  I can usually get the ball to stop after a hop or two or have minimal roll out but no matter which ball I have, I can only rarely get the ball to spin back.  So a 3-piece ball with high spin properties, urethane cover, and 80 compression does the trick.  I'm not one who hits down on the ball. I tested both the MTB Black and Red on the course.  Felt like the Black was better for me.  People always say to play lower compression during the winter to minimize the loss of distance in the cold weather.  Lower compression balls do achieve a higher COR during all weather.  But is it enough to see a big difference?  

I saw a really informative video from Snell regarding compression.  The guy basically said that lower compression is meant to give players with slower swing speeds more distance but the gain is really only a few inches.   The video makes it seem you may not even gain a foot by using a lower (70 vs 80) compression ball.  More than likely you'll still be using the same iron on your approach shot, and you want to be hitting a ball with good greenside performance.

:ping-small: G400 Max Driver

:taylormade-small:M2 5-Wood and 3 Hybrid (2017)

🅿️ ✖️ G (Missing logo) 0311P 4-AW

:titelist-small: SM7 50* and 56* Wedges

:callaway-small:px

Played a little par three course today as well as doing some practicing chipping and putting with a few different balls.  Chipping and putting there wasn't much in it.  On the par 3 course the two best performing balls, and to be honest none of them really checked up much, were the AD333 tour and the Callaway CXR Power, so that's really not helped me at all lol

For the last few years for a premium ball I've played Pro V1 but as a fall back I've played Srixon balls. Our Pro has a strong relationship with Cleveland/Srixon so the balls are readily found around the course I always found the Soft Feel (Ionomer) more to my liking that either of the AD333 (Urethane) types. I didn't see must distance gain with the AD333 and liked the feel /noise better with the Soft Feel. Also the Soft Feel felt similar to the Pro V1 

You can off course get a ball fitting through your local Pro but personally I would forget trying to differentiate between them on spin and find a ball you like the feel of.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Thanks for that, funnily enough I've just had an email from Costco who had previously told me that the Kirkland balls would not be available in the UK, looks like that might be set to change.

• 3 weeks later...

For you, I think it really comes down to just a a couple factors: 1) Do you like a soft or firm feel? 2) What does your swing speed and spin characteristics dictate? 3) You've already stated you want a budget ball.

1. A couple of points on this factor. First off, at least according the ball test here (and apparently Mr. Snell as well), swing speed and compression have no real correlation, meaning compression isn't relevant whether you swing fast or slow, BUT generally higher compression (firmer) balls perform better in distance than softer (low compression) balls due to lower spin characteristics off the driver. Hence the mantra "soft is slow." However if you prefer the softer feel, it's best to use a soft ball that still has high performance characteristics (like your ProV1, TP5, Z-Star), which is part of the reason these balls cost so much. They are made with a urethane cover that is more durable and strong (as a material) so it can be crafted to feel soft whilst maintaining the highest performance characteristics. The reason why you don't see many soft ionomer balls is simply because the material becomes weak if it is soft and can't perform (which is why companies will drop the compression way down (I've seen as low as 55) on these "soft" ionomer balls to achieve a similar feel whilst keeping the cover still relatively hard and performing). The point being, if you prefer a softer ball, urethane is the way to go because you don't sacrifice performance for feel.
  2. If you're losing a lot of urethane balls off the tee, that is a pretty solid indicator that you produce a lot of spin with your driver. Typically, compared to an ionomer ball, a urethane ball will produce more spin (especially noticeable on the driver) and thus will contribute to more errant shots. As previously stated, ionomer balls will have a firmer feel (or should if you don't want to suffer from the ultra low compression balls) and thanks to that, they will spin slightly less off the tee, helping to reduce unwanted sidespin that can cause your hooks and slices. This is why you hit these straighter. Once again, if you wanted a urethane ball to perform similarly to this, you would have to fork over more money than you said you are comfortable with for the low spinning premium options like the ProV1x, TP5x, Z-Star XV. Factoring your preference on budget in, you are much better going with the low spinning ionomer ball for your driver characteristics to keep more balls in play since the urethane options for your swing would be far too pricey.
  3. Taking the above points into account, as long as 1) you aren't a die-hard soft feel guy 2) you don't care much about, or can't tell much difference with, touch around the greens and 3) committed to your sub-20 quid budget, then ionomer is definitely the best fit for you. Furthermore, once you are able to develop and improve your game and keep more balls in play to be able to justify the cost, I would definitely start looking at the low driver spin urethane options (ProV1x, TP5x, BX, Z-Star XV).

Hope this helps and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you play as long as you're having fun!

-CG   

Edited by cynogriffin

In the Bag:

Driver: :callaway-small: Callaway Rogue 9° (Project X Hazardous Yellow 76g 6.0 Stiff Flex)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15° (Stiff Flex)

Hybrid: :titelist-small: Titleist 816 H2 19° (Fujikura Motore Tour Spec Stiff Flex)

Irons: :ping-small: Ping i E1 4i-UW (Ping CFS Stiff Flex)

Wedges: :mizuno-small: Mizuno T7 54°/9°; :cleveland-small: Cleveland RTX 3 58°/8°

Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey O-Works Versa #7 (33", Super Stroke Pistol GT)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star

Other: image.png.1a836b4c89a21e13ee937550f4016dae.png Shot Scope V2 

• 3 weeks later...