TESTERS WANTED! ×

My first Putter Fitting, Updated 1 month later

cjeffs12

Just had one wednesday and what an experience it was, learned a lot about my stroke that made sense and figured out I don't caulk as much as putting as I think I do, now waiting for some more options to come in before I pull the trigger, I agree with you the fitting makes the putter even better

So is it really worth $125 for a putter fitting? Sounds like it. I may have to get one after all.

TM Sim2 9* GD AD HD 6S

TM Sim Max 15* Tensei Blue 65S

TM M2 19* Fuji Pro 73S

PXG Gen3 0311P 4-W Elevate TourS

Vokey SM8 50*&54* SM7 58*
SC Phantom X 5

So is it really worth $125 for a putter fitting? Sounds like it. I may have to get one after all.

Depends on the person. The club champion session that g-off is at the new club champion in Virginia Beach so it is 33% off.

If you are the kind of player that wants to learn about the.details of your putting stroke then they are worth the cost.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@Jollygreensin my mind well worth it, I was really amazed to learn the things about my stroke and actually swinging a putter that had been adjusted to fit and seeing the difference was truly educational.

Great writeup! I've never had a putter fitting, but I visited the new 2nd Swing that opened up in Columbia MD, and was tempted to look at new putters, which come with a free fitting.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

On 5/6/2019 at 4:26 PM, cjeffs12 said:

After hearing all the benefits of getting a putter fitting, I decided to give it a try. I was pretty anxious and honestly quite nervous when they were setting up the SAM put lab equipment. I really thought they would say I was too inconsistent and just tell me go with whatever.  I do not have the greatest stroke, or so I thought going into the fitting. I like the look and feel of bladed style putters, but I promised myself to refrain from feelings, and stay open minded and go with the best putter for me. 

I am glad you put those thoughts to the side, I believe this type of thought is a big misconception on fitting in general.

Good write up and results so far. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On May 12, 2019 at 3:33 PM, Jollygreens said:

It would depend on your financial situation, but I can say I am really seeing strokes off my game just by getting a putter that was suited for my stroke.  For me it was worth it. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

I’m glad to hear that the putter fitting is working out! Good write up. That’s the only club I haven’t been fitted for (yet)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

• 2 weeks later...

A putter fitting is a must after going through one at PXG. Wow! Fit into a setup that I was making everything. Gen 2 Gunboat will be on its way soon. 

TM Sim2 9* GD AD HD 6S

TM Sim Max 15* Tensei Blue 65S

TM M2 19* Fuji Pro 73S

PXG Gen3 0311P 4-W Elevate TourS

Vokey SM8 50*&54* SM7 58*
SC Phantom X 5

On 5/13/2019 at 3:54 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

Great writeup! I've never had a putter fitting, but I visited the new 2nd Swing that opened up in Columbia MD, and was tempted to look at new putters, which come with a free fitting.

Of course you were 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Much the same as results above.  I went through a putter fitting at PING HQ and it was quite an amazing experience.  

I verified I had a medium arc, really on the line from slight to strong, but shaded toward strong.  

Went with the Sigma Tyne 4 at 35" with 1* of loft added.   

The PING system showed my putting hamdxiao  at the level of a 2.4.  Which considering I'm 17.6 overall shows what the rest of my game is like currently.  Ha 

It is well worth the time and any cost. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Has anyone had any experience comparing a putter fitting to the results they got from using the Ping Cradle?

Driver: Callaway Rogue - Project X HZRDUS Yellow, 6.0, 63g

Fairway: Callaway Epic 3 wood, Rogue MAX stiff, 75g

4-6 Iron: Mizuno JPX-850 - Project X 5.5 

7-PW: Mizuno JPX-850 Forged - Project X 5.5

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T5 (50, 54), Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 60 ES

Putter: Odyssey Marxman, Currently tested and kept Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc grip

1 hour ago, gchester33 said:

Has anyone had any experience comparing a putter fitting to the results they got from using the Ping Cradle?

I had a putter fitting a few weeks ago. New putter is scheduled to arrive today and I plan on attaching my wife's phone to and see what I get.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

nice write up!  I had similar feelings from my fitting.  Been rolling the ball much closer to the hole from all over the green.  had a 1.7 PPG average on my last round out! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

46 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

nice write up!  I had similar feelings from my fitting.  Been rolling the ball much closer to the hole from all over the green.  had a 1.7 PPG average on my last round out! 

1.7 is goals for me, glad to hear your fitting is paying off as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having my putter fit was the most important thing I ever did for my golf game.  I dropped my handicap by 4.  I thought I was a decent putter prior to the fitting too!  It sounds like you are your way to a similar result.  

Edited by BJMDO

:callaway-small: Great Big Bertha 10.5 with Graphite Design AD-TP 6X
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 5 wood (-1) with Fujikura Pro 2.0 7X
:callaway-small: Epic 3 and 4 hybrid with Graphite Design AD-HY 85X
:mizuno-small: MP 18 MMC 5-PW with KBS C-taper Lite X-flex, hard-stepped 1x
:edel-golf-1: 51, 56, 60 wedges
:scotty-small: Newport 2
:titelist-small: ProV1x

On 5/28/2019 at 9:55 AM, gchester33 said:

I have. Cradle doesn't give you as much info as SAM or Quintic. Generally my results were validated using Ping app after having done 3 putter fits now.

My issue is I generally putt much better in a fitting than I do on course. I was fit into a Newport style head but I also got told if I wanted a mallet, what I should look for. I am currently looking at getting back in to a mallet for the added forgiveness.

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

Tsi3 Ventus TR Blue

Tsr2 Ventus TR Blue

0211 ST 4-GW Axiom 125

Mizuno T22

Flat stick - who knows

It is possible, you just have to understand how the numbers are represented in the various systems.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Putter fitting vs Putting lesson.....I wonder if a few lessons for the same price would shave more than .2 strokes off your game.... with an inconsistent stroke as you mentioned, I wonder if a few lessons would make even a bigger impact.

Golf is cool

Putter fitting vs Putting lesson.....I wonder if a few lessons for the same price would shave more than .2 strokes off your game.... with an inconsistent stroke as you mentioned, I wonder if a few lessons would make even a bigger impact.

Probably a little bit of both...

You can be a bad fit for your equipment which would only add to your inconsistency.

When I got fit I was very good at returning to square, but my path was out of whack because my putter was too long and upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

You can be a bad fit for your equipment which would only add to your inconsistency.

When I got fit I was very good at returning to square, but my path was out of whack because my putter was too long and upright.

Inconsistency is generally the result of manipulation based on prior results. Players are generally pretty consistent with their strokes but they may not get the results they want. People can become significantly better by working on consistent setup.

IMO people focus too Much on path; face angle is the primary determination on the balls direction and square isn’t always the goal for a player.

Inconsistency is generally the result of manipulation based on prior results. Players are generally pretty consistent with their strokes but they may not get the results they want. People can become significantly better by working on consistent setup.

IMO people focus too Much on path; face angle is the primary determination on the balls direction and square isn’t always the goal for a player.

It does surprise me a ton at how many of my peers do not have a putting routine. It’s the only thing you can keep consistent and makes a big difference!

My strikes got better as a result of my fitting, and as a bonus it helped my path. I’m noticing more balls rolling nicely end over end now where before I was still putting well, but the ball wasn’t tracking perfectly where I lined up my ball for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On June 14, 2019 at 8:04 AM, Tsecor said:

So after the fitting I found I was so inconsistent due to having a putter that did not fit my stroke. My original intent was to get a lesson, but first I wanted to get a putter that was fit to me, so that when I worked on things with my instructor I would not be working on a stroke that fit my putter but working on making me more efficient within my own swing. Both will bring improvements for sure, and who is to say one or the other is better, this was just the way I felt would be more beneficial for me. 

1 hour ago, cjeffs12 said:

So after the fitting I found I was so inconsistent due to having a putter that did not fit my stroke. My original intent was to get a lesson, but first I wanted to get a putter that was fit to me, so that when I worked on things with my instructor I would not be working on a stroke that fit my putter but working on making me more efficient within my own swing. Both will bring improvements for sure, and who is to say one or the other is better, this was just the way I felt would be more beneficial for me. 

that's cool. glad it worked out

Golf is cool