So, PXG released 0211 irons.

A progressive size head set (4i XF -> then P size head) with the same foam inside but the whole club is cast. 

At half the price of the current lineup ($200/head).

What do you guys think?

Pic:

Not bad, but not sure I’d like to see different sized heads along a set. I’d have to see the progression to really know. Interesting they’re going “mainstream”, or closer to it, pricing-wise.

A big knock on their irons has been durability, so curious if these would be an improvement there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Not bad, but not sure I’d like to see different sized heads along a set. I’d have to see the progression to really know. Interesting they’re going “mainstream”, or closer to it, pricing-wise.

A big knock on their irons has been durability, so curious if these would be an improvement there.

Hmmm never heard about the durability issue and I've played 500 rounds with my gen1s and just over 300 with gen2s and they're pretty good condition still.

I even made a post about it 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Seems very un PXG 

When they came out with the Gen II driver that it was to try and get into more of a mainstream price point to compete at the top end of the market.  It appears this is the same thing with irons.  

• Like 1

I imagine if they lower the price a bit more on the 0311 irons they will sell a lot more.

I get the whole “luxury” thing, but it seems they could profit more if they branches off from the most expensive irons on the market thing.

What do I know. There’s only a ton of demand from what I read, and the supply is only for The Who’s who. Marketing and sales 101.

You can still be a sports car at sports car pricing and not be out of reach for the majority of people.

12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

When they came out with the Gen II driver that it was to try and get into more of a mainstream price point to compete at the top end of the market.  It appears this is the same thing with irons.  

Yes, but the Gen 2 driver still looked like a pxg driver. This does not look like a pxg iron. It looks safe and generic , which is the exact opposite feeling Parsons is about 

• Like 1

First I think they are a nice looking iron with a concept that I love. I gamed a Nicklaus iron that followed it for about five years a decade plus ago and played very well with those clubs. Looking at different sized iron heads bitter me far less than looking at big heads with a lot of great freer and no transition into my wedges like I do now. :(

I think it’s a good move by PXG - I like Ts Mercedes analogy - I think it fits.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Demand dictates the market. It’s a nice looking set of irons that might do fairly well.

18 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Demand dictates the market. It’s a nice looking set of irons that might do fairly well.

True

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Seems very un PXG 

The sgi irons weren’t either 

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

What durability issues? I haven’t seen any of this nor read about it. I have a set of gen2 and a fitter who has sold a bunch of gen 1

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I imagine if they lower the price a bit more on the 0311 irons they will sell a lot more.

I get the whole “luxury” thing, but it seems they could profit more if they branches off from the most expensive irons on the market thing.

What do I know. There’s only a ton of demand from what I read, and the supply is only for The Who’s who. Marketing and sales 101.

You can still be a sports car at sports car pricing and not be out of reach for the majority of people.

They have made their initiation costs back. They are still a luxury brand and want a consumer who is interested in playing the best and at any cost. Ferrari would sell a lot more cars if they lowered the cost too. 

• Like 3

Yes, they would. But they aren’t Ferrari’s. They claim they are, but it’s more like AMC.

Never hit one. Shouldn’t have that opinion but I do.

Just hard to see this company around in 15-20 years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Yes, they would. But they aren’t Ferrari’s. They claim they are, but it’s more like AMC.

Never hit one. Shouldn’t have that opinion but I do. emoji6.png

Just hard to see this company around in 15-20 years.

Yeah I wouldn’t knock until you try. Several people I know held a similar opinion then changed their mind once they did 

• Like 1

Seems we've both created an 0211 thread.

As I mentioned in mine, I think it's a good move from PXG overall. I'd have preferred to see them offer these in the same head sizes as they do for the 0311 line instead of as a single progressive set, being as I would prefer to play their T iron, personally.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have the PXG Gen 2 driver and I love it.  I did hit the 0311 irons while I was doing my fitting, just for fun.  They felt great, but not $400/club great or whatever the price.  

I'd love to give these a hit, but the one thing I'd be curious about is how they feel.  At $200/club and not being forged, I'd wonder if they would compete against a Mizuno JPX forged as an example.  Granted the AP3's feel amazing, but it would definitely be something I'd want to test.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that notices that these look almost identical to the G700?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Am I the only one that notices that these look almost identical to the G700?

I completely agree.

Im sure these are perfectly good irons, but let's be honest, would you want to play the cheap PXG's? Or the expensive Titleist/Taylormade etc? Also, the progressive head design bugs me. If I want a combo set, I'll make one. 

• Like 1

I completely agree.

Im sure these are perfectly good irons, but let's be honest, would you want to play the cheap PXG's? Or the expensive Titleist/Taylormade etc? Also, the progressive head design bugs me. If I want a combo set, I'll make one. 

Yeah. I am a pay for what I get type of person. For me to justify the price they’d have to meet all of my criteria. So right out of the gate they don’t meet it being over priced...

Some of them can be had for decent prices. I am really considering the 1 iron as I stated in another post. But that’s only because I can get a deal on one. If not I’d be looking elsewhere.
  • Like 2

They have made their initiation costs back. They are still a luxury brand and want a consumer who is interested in playing the best and at any cost. Ferrari would sell a lot more cars if they lowered the cost too. 

Three friends here in-town all have Gen1 and said they won’t go back to PXG just because of the wear and dings.

Hmmm never heard about the durability issue and I've played 500 rounds with my gen1s and just over 300 with gen2s and they're pretty good condition still.
I even made a post about it

I don’t own them, just relaying what three friends here in-town have said. All 3 said they’ll look at other brands when they make a change because of the dings, and bag chatter.