Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PXG 0211 Irons

puttingpirate

Not bad, but not sure I’d like to see different sized heads along a set. I’d have to see the progression to really know. Interesting they’re going “mainstream”, or closer to it, pricing-wise.

A big knock on their irons has been durability, so curious if these would be an improvement there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

6 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Not bad, but not sure I’d like to see different sized heads along a set. I’d have to see the progression to really know. Interesting they’re going “mainstream”, or closer to it, pricing-wise.

A big knock on their irons has been durability, so curious if these would be an improvement there.

Hmmm never heard about the durability issue and I've played 500 rounds with my gen1s and just over 300 with gen2s and they're pretty good condition still.

I even made a post about it 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Seems very un PXG 

When they came out with the Gen II driver that it was to try and get into more of a mainstream price point to compete at the top end of the market.  It appears this is the same thing with irons.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I imagine if they lower the price a bit more on the 0311 irons they will sell a lot more.

I get the whole “luxury” thing, but it seems they could profit more if they branches off from the most expensive irons on the market thing.

What do I know. There’s only a ton of demand from what I read, and the supply is only for The Who’s who. Marketing and sales 101.

You can still be a sports car at sports car pricing and not be out of reach for the majority of people.

12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

When they came out with the Gen II driver that it was to try and get into more of a mainstream price point to compete at the top end of the market.  It appears this is the same thing with irons.  

Yes, but the Gen 2 driver still looked like a pxg driver. This does not look like a pxg iron. It looks safe and generic , which is the exact opposite feeling Parsons is about 

First I think they are a nice looking iron with a concept that I love. I gamed a Nicklaus iron that followed it for about five years a decade plus ago and played very well with those clubs. Looking at different sized iron heads bitter me far less than looking at big heads with a lot of great freer and no transition into my wedges like I do now. :(

I think it’s a good move by PXG - I like Ts Mercedes analogy - I think it fits.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Demand dictates the market. It’s a nice looking set of irons that might do fairly well.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

18 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Demand dictates the market. It’s a nice looking set of irons that might do fairly well.

True

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Seems very un PXG 

The sgi irons weren’t either 

3 hours ago, PMookie said:

What durability issues? I haven’t seen any of this nor read about it. I have a set of gen2 and a fitter who has sold a bunch of gen 1

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

I imagine if they lower the price a bit more on the 0311 irons they will sell a lot more.

I get the whole “luxury” thing, but it seems they could profit more if they branches off from the most expensive irons on the market thing.

What do I know. There’s only a ton of demand from what I read, and the supply is only for The Who’s who. Marketing and sales 101.

You can still be a sports car at sports car pricing and not be out of reach for the majority of people.

They have made their initiation costs back. They are still a luxury brand and want a consumer who is interested in playing the best and at any cost. Ferrari would sell a lot more cars if they lowered the cost too. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Yes, they would. But they aren’t Ferrari’s. They claim they are, but it’s more like AMC.

Never hit one. Shouldn’t have that opinion but I do. emoji6.png

Just hard to see this company around in 15-20 years.

Yeah I wouldn’t knock until you try. Several people I know held a similar opinion then changed their mind once they did 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Seems we've both created an 0211 thread.

As I mentioned in mine, I think it's a good move from PXG overall. I'd have preferred to see them offer these in the same head sizes as they do for the 0311 line instead of as a single progressive set, being as I would prefer to play their T iron, personally.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

I have the PXG Gen 2 driver and I love it.  I did hit the 0311 irons while I was doing my fitting, just for fun.  They felt great, but not $400/club great or whatever the price.  

I'd love to give these a hit, but the one thing I'd be curious about is how they feel.  At $200/club and not being forged, I'd wonder if they would compete against a Mizuno JPX forged as an example.  Granted the AP3's feel amazing, but it would definitely be something I'd want to test.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Am I the only one that notices that these look almost identical to the G700?

I completely agree.

Im sure these are perfectly good irons, but let's be honest, would you want to play the cheap PXG's? Or the expensive Titleist/Taylormade etc? Also, the progressive head design bugs me. If I want a combo set, I'll make one. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I completely agree.

Im sure these are perfectly good irons, but let's be honest, would you want to play the cheap PXG's? Or the expensive Titleist/Taylormade etc? Also, the progressive head design bugs me. If I want a combo set, I'll make one. 

Yeah. I am a pay for what I get type of person. For me to justify the price they’d have to meet all of my criteria. So right out of the gate they don’t meet it being over priced...

Some of them can be had for decent prices. I am really considering the 1 iron as I stated in another post. But that’s only because I can get a deal on one. If not I’d be looking elsewhere.

They have made their initiation costs back. They are still a luxury brand and want a consumer who is interested in playing the best and at any cost. Ferrari would sell a lot more cars if they lowered the cost too. 

Three friends here in-town all have Gen1 and said they won’t go back to PXG just because of the wear and dings.

Hmmm never heard about the durability issue and I've played 500 rounds with my gen1s and just over 300 with gen2s and they're pretty good condition still.
I even made a post about it

I don’t own them, just relaying what three friends here in-town have said. All 3 said they’ll look at other brands when they make a change because of the dings, and bag chatter.

Just now, PMookie said:

Three friends here in-town all have Gen1 and said they won’t go back to PXG just because of the wear and dings.

Aren’t wear and dings part of golf club ownership. Nobody would play forged if it was for wear and dings

1 minute ago, PMookie said:

I don’t own them, just relaying what three friends here in-town have said. All 3 said they’ll look at other brands when they make a change because of the dings, and bag chatter.

3 friends complaining doesn’t really equal durability issues. 

3 friends complaining doesn’t really equal durability issues. 

It does in their minds.....

19 minutes ago, PMookie said:

It does in their minds.....

Doesn’t mean it’s the truth. To say a brand has durability issues it takes more than a few guys complaining. Ones truth is just an opinion. Large quantities of users having issues similar to what appears to be happening with i500s is an issue. 

Doesn’t mean it’s the truth. To say a brand has durability issues it takes more than a few guys complaining. Ones truth is just an opinion. Large quantities of users having issues similar to what appears to be happening with i500s is an issue. 

In their minds it’s an issue.

No need to continue to try and get the last word, or beat a dead horse about this. You have stated your opinion.

2 minutes ago, PMookie said:

In their minds it’s an issue.

No need to continue to try and get the last word, or beat a dead horse about this. You have stated your opinion.

Not trying to get the last word in. It’s called a discussion/debate. You came in here to claim the brand has durability issues, I and one other person disagreed and asked for proof. You said 3 friends had issues which I disagree with as proof and you countered it was in their minds. I countered that with their unhappiness with how certain types of clubs wear doesn’t quantify the claim of the brand having durability issues.

there are readers from all over that look for info. If they come into a thread and see a brand has issues there should be facts not opinions that back up that claim. 

We should all strive to ensure information shared is as accurate as possible. 

So being on my second set of PXGs in bag full time (5 sets of them total but thats a longer story) I don’t think there are any durability issues like my review said.

Im going to start playing the 0211 for a few rounds starting Monday and will let you know my thoughts.
Initial thoughts - I really don’t like progressive sets. I play 3i up in the 0311T and I’ve tried putting P, X and XF on the longer end which didn’t work for me due to my swing, attack angle and all that bullshit.

I do like how they look, however I am a bigger fan of the unique ‘weight system’ look of PXG.

They do feel harder off the face than the 0311T/P. 

For me they needed adjusting lofts to make sense of the grouping in the longer irons. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2019 at 9:16 AM, puttingpirate said:

So being on my second set of PXGs in bag full time (5 sets of them total but thats a longer story) I don’t think there are any durability issues like my review said.

Im going to start playing the 0211 for a few rounds starting Monday and will let you know my thoughts.
Initial thoughts - I really don’t like progressive sets. I play 3i up in the 0311T and I’ve tried putting P, X and XF on the longer end which didn’t work for me due to my swing, attack angle and all that bullshit.

I do like how they look, however I am a bigger fan of the unique ‘weight system’ look of PXG.

They do feel harder off the face than the 0311T/P. 

For me they needed adjusting lofts to make sense of the grouping in the longer irons. 

Any updates on the 0211's after playing them some? Seriously about to buy a set and looking for some real world opinions which have been hard to find.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:13 PM, pollock21 said:

Any updates on the 0211's after playing them some? Seriously about to buy a set and looking for some real world opinions which have been hard to find.

Sorry for late reply! They’re OK. I’ve been spoiled by forged irons. Pxg, gen2, cncpt ... So the 0211 are not the same.

Having said that - they are softer / nicer than AP2s ^-^ Gapping was an issue, and the graphite shafts in stock are an issue for me.