TESTERS WANTED! ×

Am I the only one that notices this about MGS?

I have long suspected that MGS has "favorites" in the golf manufacturing community. Please, guys, if this doesn't tell you they do - I don't know what else will - straight from the mouth:

"MyGolfSpy reaches over 7+ Million golfers every year. We also accept $0 advertising dollars from any of the major golf manufacturers. This allows us to maintain our high level of integrity and ensures our content is never in conflict with our business interests. Delivering the unbiased truth to you is our only business.

MyGolfSpy does, however, allow small and medium-sized golf companies that maintain a proven track record of performance to advertise. We believe this benefits both the consumer and the industry. It helps level the playing field by giving small budget companies with above average performing products a place to compete. It also helps expose the golfing consumer to a wider array of brands and products."

I think they might want the "little guys" to succeed - they're telling you their biased opinion - "we believe this benefits both the consumer and the industry".  I'm not saying it DOESN'T - just stating there IS at least some bias with MGS. I pay attention to how they always leave off or don't have "glowing" reviews for Scotty Cameron Putters (regadless of where they finish, top five or not) or other major manufacturers at times (they're the first to point out Evnroll putters whether they finish in the top 5 or not - they'll create a category in which they can finish "near the top in" if they don't already in initial testing). They swear by face tech, yet a Tommy Armour putter won their mallet test two years in a row - with NO face tech and basic alignment tech - standard for all putters - no mention of the lack of face tech putters are just as good if not better at times than "high tech" putters. All I'm saying is, "give me a break." If you are going to be totally unbiased, then great. If not, it's OK to say you would prefer to see light shed on other smaller groups or medium sized golf manufacturers (because they're just as good sometimes, if not better - I believe that!) - just don't say otherwise. You can deny it and fight it all you want but I'm not going to take every test MGS does for the "gospel". 

All that being said, I enjoy MGS, I just don't appreciate people claiming one thing and then it actually not being true. I'll still support and watch, but go test all equipment for yourself. I appreciate the testing they do, I'll just come to my conclusions and I won't be swayed whether it's a large or small manufacturer - I could not care less about "leveling the playing field for small and medium-sized golf companies."

Wake up guys - this isn't the bible - it's MGS.  Am I the only one that notices this? 

34 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Welcome to the forum sir, enjoy your stay, however brief or long it may be.

Well that's a nice response...

Otherwise, I'm gonna hold my tongue here. 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Welcome to the forum sir, enjoy your stay, however brief or long it may be.

RB you’re all right brother 🤣
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Understand 

1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

I'm not sure why you thought the MGS forum would be a great place to air your grievances with MGS, but I'll bite.

First off, the only time I've heard MGS talk about being unbiased is in regard to their testing - which is proven year after year. Who they choose to support via ad space is their own choice and their reasoning is well stated. 

They probably haven't written glowing reviews of Scotty Cameron because they proved - in a test - that a counterfeit product could outperform them. If that's what the data says, who am I to disagree (and I play a SC putter). Also, if you care to actually look up the product page for the TA Impact #3 you'll find the following points are highlighted

• "6061 Aluminum Face Insert delivers optimal speed and sound for more reliable feedback"
  • "Elastomer insert behind the face provides enhanced feel and response on every putt"
  • "Precision milling across the entire face allows for consistent contact and roll"

While not significant, I would personally consider any effort made to boost performance (objective or subjective) on the face as "face tech". Perhaps, MGS has referred to this putter or others like it as lacking technology but I couldn't tell you for sure without obsessively combing through articles and tests to verify. If that is the case, that would be an error on their part, but not necessarily a huge one since TA isn't trying to sell face tech like some other brands.

On your last - completely unrelated and needless - point. I'll simply refer you to the forum's Moral Codes page. https://forum.mygolfspy.com/guidelines/

At the end of the day, we're all adults (well most of us - and I mean that literally, not as an insult) and can form our own opinions. I don't think we'd be here supporting the MGS team and helping the MGS community as a whole grow if we did not agree (at least in general terms) with what MGS does or how they go about doing it. It's really that simple.

I hear you on all of this - just pointing out the discrepancies and potential "bias" I do see. A definitely lean towards the smaller guys - not saying they don't publish when a major manufacturer succeeds. I've just noticed, and it would be silly to think there isn't somewhat of a bias after they clearly state they would prefer to "level the playing field"...seems like...they're trying to level the playing field lol. 

Only point with the TA winning was to point out that if your putter doesn't have face tech then you aren't necessarily playing an inferior putter - as MSG would prefer us to believe. I just call it like I see it and thought others might have seen the same - I guess I'm alone in the opinion and I got about the response I figured I would get. My bad on the political reference - it was a joke. 

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I feel compelled to weigh in from the MGS perspective so I'll do my best to address your concerns. You don't have to take my word for it but please consider these with an open mind. 

Here we go:

1. Allowing Ads from small/medium companies: Yes, ad dollars are accepted from these companies, but that's only after MGS vets their product and deems it to be of high quality. There's a lot of products that get denied sponsorship because they just don't pass the smell test. You'd see these companies highly ranked in tests regardless if they were sponsors. 
  2. Bias for the little guys through  test results:   Advertising on the site is completely removed from the tests. Most Wanted could be written by a robot with zero emotional connection because there's a straight line from the data to the results.  Tests may change from year to test but that objective is to increase the quality of the test. All things must improve over time and Most Wanted is no different. 
  3. Glaring (or not) reviews: The MGS Blog has long been out of the game of writing reviews. They may do feature pieces on new technology but the reviews can be found here, on the forum, conducted by real people. We can only put clubs in the hands of real people if a company offers up product. We ask every OEM, every year, and run the tests that we  receive commitments from.  No Scotty reviews means no Scotties have been submitted (as much as our  members would love it). 
  4. Forum Review Integrity: Any agreement we make comes with the caveat that good reviews are not guaranteed. We've lost sponsors before at the hands of poor performing member reviews.  So be it.  If there's one thing we promise, it's an unbiased opinion and that will not be compromised. 
  5. Political Affiliation: Please don't

Your final statement is an aggressive agreement with our philosophy. The data indicates tendencies of key attributes over large sample sizes but does not dictate what's best for you. Every player is different. The large data size or individual reviews should be considered a starting point, not a finish line.  

Eric, I would like to sincerely thank you for voicing your concerns on our site. Open discussion is key to education.  I hope my response sufficiently addressed your apprehensions about MyGolfSpy. If you have any other questions or concerns, fire away and we'll be happy to respond. 

Got you. Again, I'll leave 5 alone -  it was just a joke but understand the nature of our world now. Just thought I'd ask, but I'll go away silently!

33 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Well you don't have to go away either. We're an all-inclusive and respectful community. You'll never catch us trying to push someone out. Ever. 

There's a lot of fantastic conversations going on at all times. Take a look around and jump in!

**Applause**

Image result for you da real mvp

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

1 hour ago, Eric Cartmenez said:

Only point with the TA winning was to point out that if your putter doesn't have face tech then you aren't necessarily playing an inferior putter - as MSG would prefer us to believe. I just call it like I see it and thought others might have seen the same - I guess I'm alone in the opinion and I got about the response I figured I would get. 

I  think the general answer is that face tech does provide benefit but putters without can also work.  The MGS staff always suggests that players test and get fit for equipment since the MGS most wanted may not be the best for you.   I personally see the advantage of face tech in a putter especially for a player that struggles with contact.  Out of curiosity,  can you explain the tests you have done and their results?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I  think the general answer is that face tech does provide benefit but putters without can also work.  The MGS staff always suggests that players test and get fit for equipment since the MGS most wanted may not be the best for you.   I personally see the advantage of face tech in a putter especially for a player that struggles with contact.  Out of curiosity,  can you explain the tests you have done and their results?

My point was you can still successfully and sometimes (two years in a row) beat the latest and greatest "face tech". I'm not saying face tech hurts, but I am not saying it will make you make more putts - I am not even disputing the "roll" on the ball - not here to dispute that..simply here to state that you don't need face tech to be a top performing putter...that's all I was looking for anyone to say? There have been other studies outside of MGS - go look at what Bob Bettinardi says about face tech - they've done some research as well. Also, I happen to love Evnroll putters, I simply just don't make more putts with them than I do a SeeMore or a Cleveland.

As for my research, as I am sure you will be asking about. I have a state of the art beachfront facility in Arizona that I perform my tests at and their results will be published in the near future. 

5 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Welcome to the forum Eric. Actually, that they could be and have chosen not to be is what amazes me the most.  I presume you have read through at least some of the myriad of member reviews, covering a really wide cross section of products, from small, medium and large mfg's., before reaching your opinion? Their "Official Member Products Review" format provides, IMO, some of the most candid and least biased information available. In my 58 years, I've never seen the perfect, completely unbiased anything that involves us bipeds - especially golfing bipeds (only fishermen are worse 😆). But, based on my fairly limited tenure with the forum, I would say they are as close to an unbiased resource for candid reviews of golf industry equipment as we could hope for.  

I would agree. I would 100% agree with it being as close to being unbiased as we have out there. 

Yes, the people involved in the testing performed better with non face tech. All that MGS is saying is that most players would benefit from using face tech.

Looking forward to seeing your published data.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@Eric Cartmenez I would have you consider a small company like Sub 70, they haven't won any of the Most Wanted tests. Also, if MGS didn't allow these small companies to advertise, then we may never hear of them. And small business is what used to run this country and made it so great.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗
1 hour ago, TR1PTIK said:

I understand that people see how MGS might show more support for one company over others, but that is because they believe in (as Adam often phrases it) giving power to the consumer. They simply want to let everyone know what the best products are according to the data. Don't forget, they were pushing PING pretty hard after Most Wanted testing revealed the G400 LST was a comparative monster! The MGS "power to the consumer" mantra can easily sum up why they advertise the way they do as well. Snell, Precision Pro, Galway Bay, Shot Scope, and Tour Edge all offer performance similar to (if not better than) competing segment brands at a better price. The one exception (on price at least) is EVNROLL, but the reasoning for such heavy MGS support has been well-documented in testing - the face tech simply works.

I get what you're saying on the TA. As mentioned above, MGS touts products with superior performance backed by data. When so many golfers don't bother to get fit for a putter and simply go based on price, looks, brand recognition, and feel, they can easily leave strokes on the table. They've always promoted getting properly fit and have also stated that it's perfectly okay if you fit into a club that's not #1 in "X" test - so long as you at least consider it in your own testing. 

No worries on the political reference. I get that it was meant as a joke, but in today's world political discussions can simply get too heated and drive users away. I don't think there's a single person here that would ever want to see a user leave - especially if they left because of a discussion completely unrelated to golf (the very thing that brought us all here in the first place).

I don't think there's anyone on the MGS forums who has "drank the kool-aid" so to speak. We simply understand the MGS mission and are equally passionate about it. We may not all agree 100% with everything MGS does (or even with each other), but we're all here to help each other and share our experiences with the golfing community - hopefully for the betterment of all. Welcome to MGS. I hope you stick around. 🙂 

Thanks for the response. I hear you on all of this and understand the mission of MGS - they do good work and work hard at what they do. As I have mentioned, I'm on here, search the site, follow them and keep up so I do enjoy the information! Just thought I would point out a discrepancy that I perceived to be at least mentionable and wanted to see if anyone else echoed or could see from a potentially different view/angle. Anyway, I enjoyed the constructive dialogue and hearing the opinions of others in a civil manner! Very well could have been 1000% off on my opinion, but had to check to see if I was just "seeing" things. 

Appreciate the kind response!

That's what sets MGS apart from other forums... before we discredit him, we'll just give him the benefit of the doubt.
On the other hand, I believe most MGS are smart enough and won't swayed by such statements.
I understand wanting to give someone time to air their opinions but,,,,, as a first thread???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

One can find whatever they think is there even if it’s not. 

Imo mgs is trying to grow the game thru testing, results and education. Helping smaller brands grow while not accepting money from large companies who people already know helps the smaller brand but doesn’t constitute bias.

read the forums and you will see that all brands get love and there’s no favoritism towards one or another and no push for knocking other brands. People have their personal preferences on brands they like and brands they don’t. Fortunately there’s an environmental here that’s open to discussing why someone feels that way if people choose to engage in why a person feels the way they do

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 hours ago, Eric Cartmenez said:

As for my research, as I am sure you will be asking about. I have a state of the art beachfront facility in Arizona that I perform my tests at and their results will be published in the near future. 

Maybe I'm cynical and jaded after being on the Internet for so long, but this statement makes me think that this thread might be a guerrilla marketing tactic to drive traffic to these soon-to-be-published results. I hope I'm wrong. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Maybe I'm cynical and jaded after being on the Internet for so long, but this statement makes me think that this thread might be a guerrilla marketing tactic to drive traffic to these soon-to-be-published results. I hope I'm wrong. 

Pretty sure it was meant as a joke. How many beachfronts do you know of in Arizona? His/Her forum name is also the name of a character on South Park. Highly doubt this person is doing any state of the art testing.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

3 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

Pretty sure it was meant as a joke. How many beachfronts do you know of in Arizona? His/Her forum name is also the name of a character on South Park. Highly doubt this person is doing any state of the art testing.

Whew!!! that's good to know about the beachfront  property.  I was thinking I had really missed out on my trip there last month. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

I understand wanting to give someone time to air their opinions but,,,,, as a first thread???

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, most people at MGS will take the high road and not get mixed up in a flaming war like on Twitter. That's the commendable part.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

12 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

HA! Good catch.

That's what I get for posting before I've had my morning coffee 😝

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game