TESTERS WANTED! ×

Lead tape

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here we go. I have been drawing my driver more than I want to and don't have an adjustable driver. I was thinking about putting lead tape on the tow and seeing what would happen. Has anyone else done this? What other issues am I going to create by doing this since I know it will change the head weight?

Sent from my LGUS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

This is what golfers did prior to adjustable weighting. Well placed lead tape should help accomplish what you want. Adding weight will increase the swing weight of the club which may or may not impact the feel of the club; every player is different in what they can feel.

I think &big_stu is the king of leadtape on the forum. Hopefully he will chime in and give you some placement tips.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Moving the weight out towards the toe will definitely help impart fade spin on the ball. It moves the CG of the club further to the toe, which creates a fade-biased gear effect on centre strikes, and might even help slow the rotation of the face on the downswing. You'd want to have the tape as far to the toe as possible, so placing it on the equator of the club, toe-side, near the face will give you the clearest results.

Keep in mind that it usually takes at least 5-10 grams of weight to make a noticeable change to the CG of the head. That's why the sliding/adjustable weights on today's drivers are usually 10g or more. If you're adding enough tape to add 10 grams on the toe, the biggest difference you'll notice is swingweight. Each 2g adds one SW point, so your D3 driver could easily end up being D8 or D9. 

Not to say it isn't worth trying, but nothing happens in a vacuum when it comes to club making.

I remember reading something from Tom Wishon that basically said you’d need at minimum an additional 20 or 25 gr before you ever started to shift the CG on a driver.  IMo, lead tape is primarily to adjust swing weight, not adjust CG.  Modern drivers with adjustable weights have the moveable weight built in with most weighing between 195-205 gr total.  When you move 10% of that, it will alter the ball flights.  However, on a non adjustable driver like yours, that will still likely be a similar weight to today’s drivers, you’d be looking at a 225ish gr driver head which would be ridiculously heavy.  You could always then trim the shaft down to drop the swing weight, but you’ll still be much heavier and a 43” driver.  In my own personal testing, once I get over D5 with a driver, it becomes a hook machine.  Maybe you’d be different though, who knows.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

I added some lead tape heel side and at the back of my driver and all I did was hit draws and hooks, did not miss one right all day including during warm up on the range with the stats to show. Took it off the next day and the two way miss was back. I would definitely play with it and see if it helps. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0