Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How to Pick a Ball?

Hey Spies,

Need a little help. After reading and watching the discussion about the MGS ball testing, I am looking to do some ball testing for myself so I can pick one for the season. I listened to a podcast with Dean Snell that discussed his recommended methods for testing balls. Basically move from the green back to about 150 yards and see how each ball performs for myself. 

I don't have access to a flightscope or anything like that but does anyone have any other recommendations to add to Snell's testing ideas? Fortunately, I am a member of a club so I can sneak out late afternoon and take the time to test each ball at every shot. Looking at testing four different balls, my current one (Chrome Soft X) against three others (ProV1, Bridgestone BX, Z Star). Any recommendations or thoughts are welcome! 

Edit: Just ordered the Snell Golf Test Pack to add to the test. So 6 different balls to test now!

Edited by AlanMP

Driver: Callaway Rouge SZ 9* - Hzrdus Yellow 75 (6.0) - 44.5" 

3 Wood: Ping i15 15.5* - Ping TFC700 (stiff) - Standard length

4 Hybrid: Nickent 7DX 22* - Aldila R.I.P. (stiff) - Standard Length

Irons: Callaway Rouge Pro (CF18) 5 through AW - True Temper XP 105 - .5" short/ 2* up

Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy 4 54* & 58* - True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 - 2* up

Putter: Odyssey #10 Triple Track

Ball: Bridgestone TourB X

Righty 

Blythewood, SC

12.0 Index

What do you want from a golf ball? Define that for putts, green side shots, short pitches, partial and full wedges, mid irons, long irons, an tee shots.

Look at thinks like consistent distance, ball flight, spin, wind performance, workability, etc.

You don’t need a launch monitor, you just need time and a place to compare. Play a round with the balls you’re considering and take notes. At the completion of you testing see which ball meets your criteria.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, cnosil said:

What do you want from a golf ball? Define that for putts, green side shots, short pitches, partial and full wedges, mid irons, long irons, an tee shots.

Look at thinks like consistent distance, ball flight, spin, wind performance, workability, etc.

You don’t need a launch monitor, you just need time and a place to compare. Play a round with the balls you’re considering and take notes. At the completion of you testing see which ball meets your criteria.

Great, thank you! Honestly didn't think about testing into wind. There is one tee shot at my course where the wind always gets a hold of my ball. Thanks for the heads up there. 

Irons: Callaway Rouge Pro (CF18) 5 through AW - True Temper XP 105 - .5" short/ 2* up

Righty 

Blythewood, SC

12.0 Index

1 hour ago, AlanMP said:

I listened to a podcast with Dean Snell that discussed his recommended methods for testing balls

Why not test Snell too? You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

@AlanMP I just posted an excel file in my post in the 'MGS Golf Ball Test' Thread. you can then download it and adjust difference importance factors to help you determine the best ball for you! Let me know if you need help.

I have it set for 100mph swing though...

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

Do as much testing in similar circumstances like hitting the balls from the same lie on back to back swings, with driver on the same tee box, same chip/pitching on a hole. Do it as much as possible over multiple rounds since most of out swings change a little from day to day.

be honest with yourself in judging strike and th result of the swing...ex don’t flush ball 1 then miss ball two a little and when ball two comes up short think the ball isn’t as long as the first one.

as far as where to start. Pick balls in the top two categories of the mgs test and go from

there

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

14 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

Why not test Snell too? You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

I was going to until the MTB-X was put on back order... But i just checked the website and it looks like their "test pack" is still available so I will probably be adding the MTB-X and Black to my testing 😃 

Righty 

Blythewood, SC

12.0 Index

39 minutes ago, JonMUSC08 said:

@AlanMP I just posted an excel file in my post in the 'MGS Golf Ball Test' Thread. you can then download it and adjust difference importance factors to help you determine the best ball for you! Let me know if you need help.

I have it set for 100mph swing though...

Txgolfjunkie also posted a google docs file as well. He has it set up so you can change the weighting of what you want. I can’t figure out how to post it here or I would 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

2 hours ago, AlanMP said:

Hey Spies,

Need a little help. After reading and watching the discussion about the MGS ball testing, I am looking to do some ball testing for myself so I can pick one for the season. I listened to a podcast with Dean Snell that discussed his recommended methods for testing balls. Basically move from the green back to about 150 yards and see how each ball performs for myself. 

I don't have access to a flightscope or anything like that but does anyone have any other recommendations to add to Snell's testing ideas? Fortunately, I am a member of a club so I can sneak out late afternoon and take the time to test each ball at every shot. Looking at testing four different balls, my current one (Chrome Soft X) against three others (ProV1, Bridgestone BX, Z Star). Any recommendations or thoughts are welcome! 

If I recall correctly, you can download a ball testing form from the Titliest website that might be helpful. It should offer some guidance in what to look for and make it easy to collect information.

UPDATE: Yep, just as I remembered. Just go here: https://www.titleist.com/fitting/golf-ball-fitting and scroll down to where it says "Download the Brochure" and click "2019 On Course Evaluation Card". Good luck!

Edited by TR1PTIK

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour