TESTERS WANTED! ×

PGA Pros -Biomechanical Clock?

Thought this might be interesting to golf biomechanic nerds like me.

According to this Professor, research shows that PGA pros (and very good golfers) drive their bodies in resonance like an harmonic oscillator. They have perfected a biomechanical clock which means they have superb rhythm and tempo.

Full Swing :  Backswing should take 3  times longer than downswing  3:1 ratio

I've just skimmed through his research papers on Putting

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0903/0903.1762.pdf

Same amount of impulsive force used to get the backswing and downswing going but the frequency of the putt is twice the resonant frequency of the body/club unit pendulum. Backswing takes twice as long as the downswing  2:1 ratio.  Note that you apply the impulsive downswing force just before the backswing ends, so you can get a sense of the direction the downswing should progress (by pushing against the inertia of the backswing).

He quoted Zen Golf at the end of the video but then reinterprets what they say using physics terminology. 

So swing perpetually and get your metronome's out  😀

You should read the tour tempo book. It is all about the 3:1 full swing and 2:1 short game ratios and training you to achieve these ratios.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This all great, but I would bet that 98% of all golfers around the world couldn't care less about this stuff. I can't even wrap my head around it, let alone figure out what it means. If I have to understand this kind of stuff to play golf.... I'll just quit. 😁

Edited by silver & black

This is what swinging in resonance can do to you. I remember seeing this at college where our lecturer said the crosswind was blowing at just the right frequency that matched Tacoma Bridge's own natural frequency. Now imagine if you did the same for your golf swing   - Kabooom !!!

Basically , you can have all the correct geometry in your swing, correct posture, wrist cock , swing plane, centre of swing stable, etc . But if you don't swing with a rhythm that matches your own 'body/club' unit frequency, you will still struggle. It's like pushing a kid on a swing , you have to match the pushing to the swinging frequency of the 'kid/swing' system. Same with golf , you have to somehow tune into your own swing frequency (ie. subconsciously , not something consciously manipulated). I am guessing that one can identify your unique biomechanical frequency by just swinging in perpetuity without strain and in balance until you can easily hear the whoosh of the clubhead just after an imaginary impact . Then do the same for all the clubs in your bag using a metronome and check whether swing time is approx constant.

Good video below but imho, Peter Finch should not be advocating 'internal focus' cues about your hips and weight pressure transfer to your lead leg. Maybe better to use 'external' focus cues (ie. not directly related to a body part) , like pushing into the ground  while getting your belt buckle turning out of the way.

Edited by Wildthing

A word of caution to people who are thinking of getting Tour Tempo or buying into this approach:  This is a gateway drug.  

Once you try it and see improvement, you'll start to question the whole "If I get my swing mechanics perfect I'll be able to play good golf" paradigm.  Once you realize that concentrating on things like balance, tension, and tempo leads to better mechanics and ball striking faster than working on positions, you'll start down a very dark path--one you can never come back from.  

You'll start reading Adam Young and trying things like working on skills with differential and variability practice instead of hitting 100 seven irons trying to perfect your position at the top of the backswing.  You'll explore the Vision54 books and start leaning about commitment and playing golf without swing thoughts or fear.  You may start doing doing things like throwing clubs drills, perpetual motion drills and feet together drills.  You may hit rock bottom:  you'll discover Fred Shoemaker and his writings on awareness.  (Gasp.)

Of course, your improvement will be faster than trying for the perfect mechanics.  You'll save a lot of money as the number of swing lessons you'l need will go down, and you'll know how to incorporate the change the pro wants you to make faster than you do now. But, there is a very dark side.  You may have to face difficult questions like "Why do I play golf?",  "What's the point of it all?", and "Why is the game worth playing?"

You've been warned.  Proceed with caution.