rhazlett

What's your take on purchasing used clubs?

Posted (edited)

How do you feel about purchasing used clubs? Do you always purchase new or often look for last year's model?

Anymore, I often look at the used club section before seeing what's new. To me, the upgrades that many club companies introduce every year seem so minimal. I can't justify the extra cost just to say the club is new. 

If you do buy used, who do you trust or what do you look for in an used club?

Edited by rhazlett
fixed spelling
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, rhazlett said:

How do you feel about purchasing used clubs? Do you always purchase new or often look for last year's model?

Anymore, I often look at the used club section before seeing what's new. To me, the upgrades that many club companies introduce every year seem so minimal. I can't justify the extra cost just to say the club is new. 

If you do buy used, who do you trust or what do you look for in an used club?

I buy used all the time.   I do my research on configurations that work for me and then try to find them at stores that sell used clubs.  

• Like 4

I’ve been playing golf for 35 years and have owned 3 new sets of irons in my life, the last was 2000 or 2001 when I bought my Hogan Apex Edge irons. For those that don’t mind used it really is the way to go. Golf equipment loses its value so quickly if you don’t mind 2 or 3 seasons old tech you can get a killer bag for not a lot of coin.

As for where I buy used, eBay makes it so easy but in recent years more and more counterfeit clubs are making their way to eBay so if you are looking for some of the higher end or JDM stuff like Mizuno or Miura it really is buyer beware. Fortunately for me at least I’ve been buying 60 year old equipment so I don’t have to worry about it being fake, just useable.

Although 2nd Swing, Global Golf and a few other companies sell used and great deals can be had through them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I buy used almost exclusively. I do pay a little extra to buy from places like 2nd Swing instead of EBay, so I can be assured they are authentic clubs. Otherwise, I think as long as you get clubs that are fit reasonably well to your swing, buying used is a great way to get high quality clubs while saving some money. 

• Like 5

I have bought several clubs from Callaway Preowned.  The site lists the specs of the clubs and a condition rating.  The condition has always been better than listed.  

The site has clubs other than Callaway.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rhazlett said:

How do you feel about purchasing used clubs?

Buying used or even a 1-2 year old new club is a no-brainer. Example: I have a brand new Cobra Fly-Z+ and an also new 2014 TM SLDR I purchased both online from a couple reputable sellers. I paid around $90-$100 each. I did just buy a new Exotics EXS mainly because of some recent MGS reviews and blog reports. It was only $299! So far it seems like a winner.

• Like 3

I almost always buy used or closeout. Golfsmith was great when it was open, since I could hit clubs on the monitors against my gamers to see if there was any marked improvement. I also have bought from Global Golf, 3Balls, and Callaway PreOwned with no issues at all. 

• Like 2

Driver and wedges new, everything else used. I went to Galaxy and the Titleist 718 set was $1200. Got the 714s on ebay for under $200. I asked my pro and he said it takes 8-10 years for there to be a notable jump in tech, you don't notice the year-to-year increments. So given that I happily save money.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 2

I rarely buy used and if I do it’s from someone I know or would be a trusted source. If I was looking to save money buying something that’s new but a season or two old is a better option. 

• Like 1

The only thing I tend to shy away from used is wedges as I'm usually looking for fresh grooves.  Depends on the condition though.

There are so many club ho golfers out there (myself included) that buy stuff just to try it and then offload it that there's not very many reasons to buy new anymore.  Especially if you can do your own club work.  Save half the cost of new put that money to a better use.

There's really only a few different occasions when I'm going to buy new.  I have gift cards, there's a trade in promotion and I have stuff to get rid of, I can't find it used and really want it, or occasionally ordering from my course to support the pro.

• Like 6

I'm in agreement with everyone here. If I buy new, it's based on trading in some stuff to get a deal. I'll walk you through my bag right now

Driver: Tested for MGS

FW: Traded callaway FW and wedges to get

Irons and wedges: Bought with spiff from working at Dick's and trades

Putter: Bought/testing for MGS

I'm looking at maybe sliding a second FW (20*) in the bag since I have more than enough space(only carrying 12 at this moment) and I'm looking at closeout sales, component dealers with overstock clubs (Dallas, Diamond, etc) and used places (2nd swing, 3 balls, ebay) exclusively. As long as you aren't going totally blind in on this, you're going to find the deal and club you're looking for.

• Like 2

used for everything except my wedges! 

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with buying used at all, and it's a great way to save some coin. I'd say the most important thing to consider is the condition, because 'great condition' has different meanings. I know Callaway Certified Pre-Owned is pretty solid when it comes to the conditions of the clubs they sell, and if something doesn't meet your expectation of the listed condition it's easy to return or exchange. There are deals to be had on eBay, too but you have to be a bit more careful there IMO. 

• Like 1

Since starting back golfing about 4 years ago I have purchased almost no new clubs.  My strategy is been to be patient with eBay auctions and make sure I am getting a reasonably good deal on anything that I purchase.  Then if I don't like the clubs at the very worst I get my money back.  With a couple of the set there was room for profit when they were sold.  The sweet spot seems to be clubs about 2 generations old.  The MGS most wanted lists are a great place to start finding the clubs to look for since they go back a couple years.  Brands like Ping and Titleist will cost more up front but will also hold value longer.   Callaway pre-owned is also a good place to get clubs since you know what they sell is legit.  Only buy from them when a promotion is going on (they run them all of the time).  If they are not running free shipping deal create an account and then leave something in your shopping cart.  The next day or two they will send you a promo code for free shipping.  

It is hard to pay full price when after two generations the clubs can be purchased for about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of new.   My Rogue driver from Callaway Preowned was $165, a $500+ driver a couple months ago.  

I’m in the buy used except wedges camp, but even then I bought “used” wedges from 2nd swing a few years back and they still had the plastic on them.

I’ve had nothing but issues buying off eBay, so I stay away from there for clubs.

Plus. As soon as you go pay $2000 for your brand new set of Tiger irons, hit them once and they are used.

Much like cars, buy new, drive off lot, it’s used.

• Like 3

I still like to buy new stuff, except that most of it is 1 or 2 seasons old.

Great experience with CPO!

Only my putter and irons were purchased at retail price when they were released.

I'm pretty much the same as Kanoito. My putter and irons were the only things purchased at retail. I'm too cheap to pay full retail prices, so I'm always bargain hunting. I typically try and buy used, like-new equipment if I can. 

A few days ago I ordered a used XXIO driver from 3Balls Golf.  The club is one generation old.  A new driver costs $649.  I picked this one up for $202, including tax and shipping.  

I never would have tried XXIO at retail prices.  I was a bit reluctant to order the club--if something seems to good be be true....  Anyway, the club arrived today, three days sooner than promised when ordering.  The club is in better shape than advertised.  

Based on one order, I have to say 3Ballls exceeded my expectations.     

I'm like most of the other posters. Most of my bag is used clubs bought online. My fairways and my sand wedge were new, but a previous year's model from Dick's. All of the sites mentioned previously are reliable. Global Golf, 3Balls and Taylormade Pre-Owned are all owned by Global Value Commerce. I think they're based in Raleigh NC. 

Most of what you see in my signature was purchased used on eBay over the past couple of years or so.  I doubt I have anymore than $500 tied up in the lot of it and that includes the club that was bought new.  The rest were gently used.  You have to have an idea of what you're looking for.  Still, it's better to take flyer on a used club that should work for you than to do the same with a brand new one purchased at a big box retailer.  Trial and error are some times part of it, but when you think about it, if you can put together a whole bag for less than half the price of a custom fitted set of irons, it's hard to go wrong.  And just for the record, I have bought new fitted on a custom order before.