Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What's your take on purchasing used clubs?

How do you feel about purchasing used clubs? Do you always purchase new or often look for last year's model?

Anymore, I often look at the used club section before seeing what's new. To me, the upgrades that many club companies introduce every year seem so minimal. I can't justify the extra cost just to say the club is new. 

If you do buy used, who do you trust or what do you look for in an used club?

Edited by rhazlett
fixed spelling
26 minutes ago, rhazlett said:

How do you feel about purchasing used clubs? Do you always purchase new or often look for last year's model?

Anymore, I often look at the used club section before seeing what's new. To me, the upgrades that many club companies introduce every year seem so minimal. I can't justify the extra cost just to say the club is new. 

If you do buy used, who do you trust or what do you look for in an used club?

I buy used all the time.   I do my research on configurations that work for me and then try to find them at stores that sell used clubs.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I’ve been playing golf for 35 years and have owned 3 new sets of irons in my life, the last was 2000 or 2001 when I bought my Hogan Apex Edge irons. For those that don’t mind used it really is the way to go. Golf equipment loses its value so quickly if you don’t mind 2 or 3 seasons old tech you can get a killer bag for not a lot of coin.

As for where I buy used, eBay makes it so easy but in recent years more and more counterfeit clubs are making their way to eBay so if you are looking for some of the higher end or JDM stuff like Mizuno or Miura it really is buyer beware. Fortunately for me at least I’ve been buying 60 year old equipment so I don’t have to worry about it being fake, just useable.

Although 2nd Swing, Global Golf and a few other companies sell used and great deals can be had through them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I buy used almost exclusively. I do pay a little extra to buy from places like 2nd Swing instead of EBay, so I can be assured they are authentic clubs. Otherwise, I think as long as you get clubs that are fit reasonably well to your swing, buying used is a great way to get high quality clubs while saving some money. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

1 hour ago, rhazlett said:

How do you feel about purchasing used clubs?

Buying used or even a 1-2 year old new club is a no-brainer. Example: I have a brand new Cobra Fly-Z+ and an also new 2014 TM SLDR I purchased both online from a couple reputable sellers. I paid around $90-$100 each. I did just buy a new Exotics EXS mainly because of some recent MGS reviews and blog reports. It was only $299! So far it seems like a winner.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I almost always buy used or closeout. Golfsmith was great when it was open, since I could hit clubs on the monitors against my gamers to see if there was any marked improvement. I also have bought from Global Golf, 3Balls, and Callaway PreOwned with no issues at all. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Driver and wedges new, everything else used. I went to Galaxy and the Titleist 718 set was $1200. Got the 714s on ebay for under $200. I asked my pro and he said it takes 8-10 years for there to be a notable jump in tech, you don't notice the year-to-year increments. So given that I happily save money.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I rarely buy used and if I do it’s from someone I know or would be a trusted source. If I was looking to save money buying something that’s new but a season or two old is a better option. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The only thing I tend to shy away from used is wedges as I'm usually looking for fresh grooves.  Depends on the condition though.

There are so many club ho golfers out there (myself included) that buy stuff just to try it and then offload it that there's not very many reasons to buy new anymore.  Especially if you can do your own club work.  Save half the cost of new put that money to a better use.

There's really only a few different occasions when I'm going to buy new.  I have gift cards, there's a trade in promotion and I have stuff to get rid of, I can't find it used and really want it, or occasionally ordering from my course to support the pro.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm in agreement with everyone here. If I buy new, it's based on trading in some stuff to get a deal. I'll walk you through my bag right now

Driver: Tested for MGS

FW: Traded callaway FW and wedges to get

Irons and wedges: Bought with spiff from working at Dick's and trades

Putter: Bought/testing for MGS

I'm looking at maybe sliding a second FW (20*) in the bag since I have more than enough space(only carrying 12 at this moment) and I'm looking at closeout sales, component dealers with overstock clubs (Dallas, Diamond, etc) and used places (2nd swing, 3 balls, ebay) exclusively. As long as you aren't going totally blind in on this, you're going to find the deal and club you're looking for.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

used for everything except my wedges! 

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Nothing wrong with buying used at all, and it's a great way to save some coin. I'd say the most important thing to consider is the condition, because 'great condition' has different meanings. I know Callaway Certified Pre-Owned is pretty solid when it comes to the conditions of the clubs they sell, and if something doesn't meet your expectation of the listed condition it's easy to return or exchange. There are deals to be had on eBay, too but you have to be a bit more careful there IMO. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Since starting back golfing about 4 years ago I have purchased almost no new clubs.  My strategy is been to be patient with eBay auctions and make sure I am getting a reasonably good deal on anything that I purchase.  Then if I don't like the clubs at the very worst I get my money back.  With a couple of the set there was room for profit when they were sold.  The sweet spot seems to be clubs about 2 generations old.  The MGS most wanted lists are a great place to start finding the clubs to look for since they go back a couple years.  Brands like Ping and Titleist will cost more up front but will also hold value longer.   Callaway pre-owned is also a good place to get clubs since you know what they sell is legit.  Only buy from them when a promotion is going on (they run them all of the time).  If they are not running free shipping deal create an account and then leave something in your shopping cart.  The next day or two they will send you a promo code for free shipping.  

It is hard to pay full price when after two generations the clubs can be purchased for about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of new.   My Rogue driver from Callaway Preowned was $165, a $500+ driver a couple months ago.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I’m in the buy used except wedges camp, but even then I bought “used” wedges from 2nd swing a few years back and they still had the plastic on them.

I’ve had nothing but issues buying off eBay, so I stay away from there for clubs.

Plus. As soon as you go pay $2000 for your brand new set of Tiger irons, hit them once and they are used.

Much like cars, buy new, drive off lot, it’s used.

I still like to buy new stuff, except that most of it is 1 or 2 seasons old.

Great experience with CPO!

Only my putter and irons were purchased at retail price when they were released.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'm pretty much the same as Kanoito. My putter and irons were the only things purchased at retail. I'm too cheap to pay full retail prices, so I'm always bargain hunting. I typically try and buy used, like-new equipment if I can. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

A few days ago I ordered a used XXIO driver from 3Balls Golf.  The club is one generation old.  A new driver costs $649.  I picked this one up for $202, including tax and shipping.  

I never would have tried XXIO at retail prices.  I was a bit reluctant to order the club--if something seems to good be be true....  Anyway, the club arrived today, three days sooner than promised when ordering.  The club is in better shape than advertised.  

Based on one order, I have to say 3Ballls exceeded my expectations.     

• 2 weeks later...

I'm like most of the other posters. Most of my bag is used clubs bought online. My fairways and my sand wedge were new, but a previous year's model from Dick's. All of the sites mentioned previously are reliable. Global Golf, 3Balls and Taylormade Pre-Owned are all owned by Global Value Commerce. I think they're based in Raleigh NC. 

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

• 2 weeks later...

Most of what you see in my signature was purchased used on eBay over the past couple of years or so.  I doubt I have anymore than $500 tied up in the lot of it and that includes the club that was bought new.  The rest were gently used.  You have to have an idea of what you're looking for.  Still, it's better to take flyer on a used club that should work for you than to do the same with a brand new one purchased at a big box retailer.  Trial and error are some times part of it, but when you think about it, if you can put together a whole bag for less than half the price of a custom fitted set of irons, it's hard to go wrong.  And just for the record, I have bought new fitted on a custom order before.  

Your problem is LOFT -- lack of friggin' talent!

WS D7 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Speedblades 5-PW

Cleveland CBX 56°

Cleveland Huntington Beach 6

The search for the holy grail of golf equipment is a temptation many of us fall into. Buying used helps to continue that search without breaking the bank. I do have my fair share of used odds and ends but mostly as an experiment more than anything else. My gamer bag always contains bought new items.

Mizuno Mp5s replaced my Mizuno MP52s in 2014. Bought the MP52s new in 2007.

EVNROLL ERC3 bought new replaced my PING Anser in 2018. I bought the PING Anser new when Jesus was still walking the links.

PING G400 SFT Driver bought new in 2018 replaced my TM R7. I bought the R7 new in 2008.

Wedges I always buy new and replace every two years.

My Cobra 3 Wood I bought new in 2017. It was my first 3 Wood since the Cleveland Launcher I bought new back in 2000.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

On 5/8/2019 at 6:05 PM, alfriday101 said:

I have bought several clubs from Callaway Preowned.  The site lists the specs of the clubs and a condition rating.  The condition has always been better than listed.  

The site has clubs other than Callaway.  

No doubt, they are great. I'm always shocked at how nice the club actually looks when it arrives. 

Used or older models is the best way to go. I'll buy gently used anything, besides wedges. Wedges I tend to want to buy new, although that doesn't mean it'll be the newest years model. Obviously, I want any club I purchase to be in great shape. 

I don't find there's usually enough benefit in new generations to make the switch. 

Irons, I have purchased both new and used. The two new sets I've purchased, one I kept for 10 years and the other is currently on its second season. I'm of the mindset that it's the indian not the arrow. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing wrong with used, could be a great option for a beginner, and some good deals to be had too, as long as they are a 'suitable fit' as in about the right length etc.  A smallish junior using her 6'3" dad's custom fit clubs may be less than ideal though.

Custom fitting options for used will usually be more limited though.  

My first set were second hand Callaways, used for 10 years before getting custom fit a couple of years ago.  And will definitely look at used drivers when I want to change mine.

The irons I've been playing for the past couple years I found at the local golf store. They're 10+ years old but I got a set of 3-SW for like $125. I actually really like them. This should've been prefaced by saying that my game in no way justifies spending new club money. But there's golfers all over that buy new stuff often and get rid of perfectly fine 1-2 year old gear. 

Driver:  :ping-small: K15 10.5

3W: :taylormade-small:  M2 15

Hybrid: Knight XVII 23

4i-Sw:  :taylormade-small: Rac Lt 

Acer XB 58o Wedge D-grind 

Putter:  :ping-small: Karsten Craz-E

The only items I buy new are the putter and the wedges. I am not getting paid to play golf, so why would I drop 1200 bucks for an iron set? I got bills to pay I got mouths to feed. Picked up a sweet deal on some Cobra blades here two weeks ago, and they were like brand new. Used all the way.

:cobra-small: F7 Driver

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ 3 and 5 wood

:cobra-small: F9 irons 5 thru GW

:cobra-small: King Black Wedges 52/56/60

Buying used clubs is fine, you just have to make sure you do it from a reputable source.  Theres so many fakes on sites like Ebay that if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Having said that, Ive bought dozens and dozens of clubs off of Ebay and never had an issue or reason to suspect a fake.  I always bought from reputable sellers with lots of positive feedback though.

All of my clubs that I have now were bought new, partly because most of them are no-name clubs that are cheap even when bought new.  I got my Tour Edge driver at the end of the season for a big discount, Pinemeadow clubs are cheap, Top Flite clubs are cheap and I bought my Wilson 8802 new because I couldnt really find any used ones and didnt want to wait.

Theres nothing wrong with buying used if you are on a budget.  Ive bought many used sets of irons and it allowed me to try clubs that I never could have afforded if I had bought them new.

Honestly, with the way that the prices of drivers are going, if I really wanted a driver that was $500, Id probably wait a couple years until I could buy a used one for a less than half of what that club was new.  That is one of the good things about the used club market: everyone wants the latest and the greatest, so you can often find one that is a couple years old in great condition for a fraction of what that club was new.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

• 2 weeks later...

I typically buy used irons as I play a lot and they get beat up fast.  I bought my current set from Callaway Pre Owned.com and had a great experience.  They even replaced one that I broke.  Also had good luck with golf traders group on FaceBook.  Putter and woods for me need to be new.  

:taylormade-small:  M1 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black)

:callaway-small:           XR 15* (Project X Blue) 

:callaway-small:           XR 22* (Project X Blue)

:callaway-small:           Steelhead XR (True Temper XP)

:taylormade-small:  R9 48*

:titelist-small:          Maltby Tour Grind MG 52* (KBS Tour)

:titelist-small:          Maltby Tour Grind MG 56* (KBS Tour)

:titelist-small:          Maltby Tour Grind MG 60* (KBS Tour)

:odyssey-small: Marxman Fang

:titelist-small:          PROV1X